NFL re-do... minor changes (when possible) plus all-new single alts.

oldschoolvikings

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

On to the AFC south. 

This division turned out to be fairly easy to do the whole "minor changes only" idea, except for one notable exception.  The Colts, Texans, and Jags all just needed very small tweaking IMO. The Titans, of course, are a complete disaster, and it was very difficult to find just about anything worth saving.

Here we go...

Start with the Colts.  My only real change, other than template, was to reintroduce the sock stripes and to add a small logo to the jersey.  To pull this off, the cut of the jersey sleeves/shoulders would have to be adjusted. I'm picturing it to be something like what was done with UCLA, which is obviously possible.

spacer.png

The Texans have a uniform I've honestly gotten a little tired of, and I wouldn't mind seeing them shake things up, but if the idea is to change as little as possible with the basic home and road, I really wouldn't add or subtract anything. The only thing that absolutely must be done, is to go back to the red socks with the navy pants. Other than that, nothing.

spacer.png

The Jaguars new uniform is so close. Honestly, the simplicity of it is the best thing about it. The number font is my favorite in the NFL. With just a few simple adjustments it become quite possibly my number one NFL look.

Here's what I'd do.  Get rid of the black jersey and pants.  Teal becomes the primary home.  Make the spikes and sleeve details on the white jersey teal, and add a simple pants detail.  Done. This also allows us to have a really nice throwback.

spacer.png

As I said before, there's really no saving the current Titan mess.  I'd just completely punt, and start over.  However, if I was trying to keep something, I guess I could try to work with the helmet, and the idea that the new uniform is primarily navy and gray.  Here's what I came up with;

spacer.png

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:40 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

The Rams are a tricky one, because they're just on the cusp of a change, and what they're currently wearing is so disjointed, but I'll give it a go. I've been advocating the gold jersey/white pants look for years, but here I'll give it a rest, and only use it as an alternate.  I'm trying to work with the idea of the the sleeve horn more as an implication, instead of literally. It always bugged my that they had four sets of horns per uniform... I know that doesn't bother everybody, but it does me.  This sleeve is suppose to suggest the feel of the swoop from trhe horn, without just copying it. Also, I'm trying to interject a bit more color balance, particularly on the blue uniform. Also, I'm keeping the current font...

spacer.png

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:43 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

The Bills are getting the Dolphin treatment... we are dropping the pointless navy trim.  Just like it did with Miami, I think it would do amazing things for their look. So, this is pretty straight forward.  Get rid of all navy, go conventional width on the helmet stripe, lose the multiple logo placement, fix the road sock... done. 

spacer.png

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:36 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Back at it, now to the AFC East.  to reiterate, I'm trying to redesign the NFL, with as few moves as possible.  Again, if given free reign, I'd be giving some teams an extreme make-over, but here I'm attempting to limit myself, and add in a single new alt. The AFC East turned out to be surprisingly easy to restrain myself on.  I found I could leave Buffalo, Miami, and the Jets somewhat intact without causing myself too much angst.  New England got a bit more work.

So, going from least changes to most, we'll start with New York;

I'm by no means in love with the new uniform, but I can't call it terrible. One thing that bugs me is the spotty use of black.  I tried to introduce more black throughout the primary uniforms, and hated every attempt. Then it occurred to me... why not just drop the black? Like the Lions' current use of dark gray, it really serves no purpose other then to give them an excuse for an all-black alt, which I hate.  So I gave the black the boot, and came up with this. (I'm struggling a bit with the new number font, since I can't find a decent graphic.)

spacer.png

Getting rid of the black also means the alt can be the obvious throwback.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

And the Cardinals get the biggest overhaul... there just really wasn't much to save.  The new logo, obviously stays and the number font is pretty good.  Other than that, it's a retreat to the past for them...

spacer.png

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:36 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

The Falcons get more than a tweak...

I love their original uniform, so I'm basing this on it. Not much else to say...

spacer.png

spacer.png

8 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Jaguars new uniform is so close. Honestly, the simplicity of it is the best thing about it. The number font is my favorite in the NFL. With just a few simple adjustments it become quite possibly my number one NFL look.

Here's what I'd do.  Get rid of the black jersey and pants.  Teal becomes the primary home.  Make the spikes and sleeve details on the white jersey teal, and add a simple pants detail.  Done. This also allows us to have a really nice throwback.

spacer.png

Better than the garbage they have on now.

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

Better than the garbage they have on now.

I appreciate you saying that, but it's weird because it's really just a couple of small tweaks away from the "garbage they have now."

I guess I just have more love for the teal versions of their current uniform than most people do.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:28 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Vikings.  Like the Bears, almost no change to the basic home and road... all I added was a pair of white socks with stripes to kill the hated road leotard look. Also, a second pair of white pants with a stripe to match the white jersey, so that if the team wants to wear all-white on a few occasions, the stripes won't have to be mis-matched (it's not a deal breaker, but just something small I'd fix). The alt is a throwback to the home uniform from 1969, the Vikings 1st Super Bowl.

spacer.png

The 1980-1984 white facemask :)

spacer.png

spacer.png*thumbs up*

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of a break, but back at it.  I'm coming to the last two divisions and they are the hardest for me to stick with the small changes plan.  The AFC North has three bad uniforms IMO.  Cinci and Cleveland are unmitigated disasters, and the only thing that keeps the Ravens out of the bottom 10 is the number of teams that have changed to something worse in the last decade or so. 

So let me start with the easy one... the Steelers. The only real noticeable change to the primaries will be to bring back the block numbers and drop the chest logo.  The alt. is, obviously, a fauxback gold version of the batwing jersey, which I'm kind of happy with. spacer.png

Given free reign, the Bengals are a team I'd make more drastic changes to, but since I'm attempting to just fiddle as little as necessary, here's what I've got.  Clean up the sleeves and pants stripe, orange socks to kill the leotard, and block numbers for a more solid overall feel.

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Browns are, thankfully, about to completely dump their current garbage, but if I was tasked with trying to save as much of it as possible... well, I still ended up changing quite a bit.  How could you not?

spacer.png

I hate this... because it's exactly what the Browns should've done.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:54 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

Looks nice! Your pants stripe quite simply pairs nicely with the jersey 'slashes' if you will.

Jags fans would love a throwback to that era, but my personal preference would be to go with the numbers worn from '98-'08. That's probably coming from a place of nostalgia for me. I view it as the pinnacle of our uniform history, as those would be the uniforms our greatest player (Fred Taylor) and our greatest team ('99) wore. 

I understand the desire to minimize the black, but black on teal might actually be my favorite combination of them all. I'd hate to lose it. I think the teal pants help bring out the teal accents in the black jersey. I would not complain if this was our primary look. 

1550289026-NS_14CowboysJags28.jpg=

I think adding the teal to the white jersey like you have done would have a similar effect when paired with the teal pants. Adding the black stripe on the pants would really complete this look to tie the jersey and pants together. (Look how striking that teal is in the Florida sun!)

Telvin-Smith-featureddd.jpg

Ultimately, the Jags have a solid foundation to build their identity on, but I think they need to become strict about wearing the right combinations. Some are home runs, and others are huge misses. (Looking at you, black over white.)

TL;DR: Nice job! :)

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

A bit of a break, but back at it.  I'm coming to the last two divisions and they are the hardest for me to stick with the small changes plan.  The AFC North has three bad uniforms IMO.  Cinci and Cleveland are unmitigated disasters, and the only thing that keeps the Ravens out of the bottom 10 is the number of teams that have changed to something worse in the last decade or so. 

So let me start with the easy one... the Steelers. The only real noticeable change to the primaries will be to bring back the block numbers and drop the chest logo.  The alt. is, obviously, a fauxback gold version of the batwing jersey, which I'm kind of happy with. spacer.png

I’m guessing not, but any thought of Alternate White Pants? It could be used as a Home and Road Alt, and with the Fauxback to kill the Monochrome.

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

Archived