Sign in to follow this  
AustinFomBoston

Manchester Monarchs officially abdicate

They wanted to, but Utica has taken to the team so incredibly well that they don't want to mess with what works. It's an admirable contrast to the Kings looking upon the success in Manchester and saying "screw it, doesn't matter, we gotta have our 14th forwards in a suburb of San Bernardino or none of this is gonna work."

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

They wanted to, but Utica has taken to the team so incredibly well that they don't want to mess with what works. It's an admirable contrast to the Kings looking upon the success in Manchester and saying "screw it, doesn't matter, we gotta have our 14th forwards in a suburb of San Bernardino or none of this is gonna work."

I've formed friendships with a couple of the people in Tucson's management team, and had a conversation with one of the guys about a year ago to this effect. He said the formulas clubs that own their farm team use to figure out whether or not they want to stay east coast, or go more local are usually made up of lots of factors. At the end of the day, three items usually become the primary focus: 1. How much money can we make in the current market vs. a more regional locale? 2. How much can we save in call-up costs by moving? 3. How much more money are we looking at for affiliate travel costs here vs. there? He also stated that many NHL coaches and GMs prefer more local affiliates, because they have a little more flexibility with call-ups, but that isn't usually a big part of the business discussion that happens. 

Utica came up in that same conversation, and he likened it to the AHL's version of the Green Bay Packers, they're a city that defies a lot of the accepted market convention for the league. He still thinks Vancouver will move them if they get an appealing alternative. His guess why they didn't move west with everyone else is a combination of everything local (especially in BC) being more Junior friendly and California running out of open locations for a team.

If Utica does ever lose the Comets, I'd put money down that the ECHL will swoop in and have a team on the ice within a season or two.

And then that team will fail in a season or two because fans aren't dumb; they can see the difference between the NHLers of tomorrow and a bunch of gumps who couldn't crack AHL rosters that drop off hard as it is, e.g., Manchester.

It's nothing against the Cyclones, they are my favorite local team. But, I miss the days when they were in the IHL. It was neat to see players who were in out of the NHL on the ice every night. I really wish the opportunity would present itself for them to jump up to the AHL. There would be an instant rivalry with the Monsters.

The IHL years for the Cyclones were honestly the best years (even though they won their two championships in the ECHL). I was a Mighty Ducks season ticket holder when they were in the AHL. I loved the AHL product. Became a season ticket holder for the Cyclones after the Ducks left for a couple of seasons but I definitely miss the AHL action. If they ever get the chance to move up, as well as fix US Bank Arena, I would be back.

20 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

It's nothing against the Cyclones, they are my favorite local team. But, I miss the days when they were in the IHL. It was neat to see players who were in out of the NHL on the ice every night. I really wish the opportunity would present itself for them to jump up to the AHL. There would be an instant rivalry with the Monsters.

I feel the same way wrt to the Blades versus the Mavericks. Sure, its fun but its just not the same. I don't know why for the life of me that St. Louis hasn't moved its AHL team to Kansas City/Lamar Hunt Jr. moving the Mavericks up to the AHL. You already have the Blues trying to market themselves here, why not have tomorrow's Blues play here too?

On 5/28/2019 at 10:14 AM, BeerGuyJordan said:

I've formed friendships with a couple of the people in Tucson's management team, and had a conversation with one of the guys about a year ago to this effect. He said the formulas clubs that own their farm team use to figure out whether or not they want to stay east coast, or go more local are usually made up of lots of factors. At the end of the day, three items usually become the primary focus: 1. How much money can we make in the current market vs. a more regional locale? 2. How much can we save in call-up costs by moving? 3. How much more money are we looking at for affiliate travel costs here vs. there? He also stated that many NHL coaches and GMs prefer more local affiliates, because they have a little more flexibility with call-ups, but that isn't usually a big part of the business discussion that happens. 

Utica came up in that same conversation, and he likened it to the AHL's version of the Green Bay Packers, they're a city that defies a lot of the accepted market convention for the league. He still thinks Vancouver will move them if they get an appealing alternative. His guess why they didn't move west with everyone else is a combination of everything local (especially in BC) being more Junior friendly and California running out of open locations for a team.

If Utica does ever lose the Comets, I'd put money down that the ECHL will swoop in and have a team on the ice within a season or two.

The whispered rumors were that when the Canucks bought the ex-Rivermen (AHL edition) they had designs on setting up shop in Seattle, but the NHL may have put a brick on that.