2019 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIV

canzman

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, philly97flyer said:

I thought the Super Bowl endzones were done by the league for consistency. Didn’t know teams could make them anyway they want

There are certain guidelines. The endzone template these days are a logo and a wordmark. The league likes to use logos and wordmarks that the team uses on their fields, but the teams get a say in which logos and wordmarks they use. You can see this going back to Super Bowl XLVIII, when the Seahawks endzone had the NFL logo on the left, which on their home field, they would normally have the NFL logo, with the team logo on the right. In Super Bowl XLIX, the Patriots had their team logo under the wordmark, as they do on their home stadium (which in Super Bowls LI, LII, and LIII, the changed to fit the current field template better). Last year the Rams chose to use their helmet logo in their endzone. This year, since the 49ers have been using a helmet and their saloon font for the past couple seasons, the NFL gave them the option to use that for the Super Bowl (although, the endzone would look much better if they could also add the NFC logo, as they do on their home field).

The consistency then is that both endzones have a team logo (or helmet now apparently) and a team wordmark, preferably what the team uses in their home stadium for the majority of games.

23 minutes ago, pitt6pack said:

There are certain guidelines. The endzone template these days are a logo and a wordmark. The league likes to use logos and wordmarks that the team uses on their fields, but the teams get a say in which logos and wordmarks they use. You can see this going back to Super Bowl XLVIII, when the Seahawks endzone had the NFL logo on the left, which on their home field, they would normally have the NFL logo, with the team logo on the right. In Super Bowl XLIX, the Patriots had their team logo under the wordmark, as they do on their home stadium (which in Super Bowls LI, LII, and LIII, the changed to fit the current field template better). Last year the Rams chose to use their helmet logo in their endzone. This year, since the 49ers have been using a helmet and their saloon font for the past couple seasons, the NFL gave them the option to use that for the Super Bowl (although, the endzone would look much better if they could also add the NFC logo, as they do on their home field).

The consistency then is that both endzones have a team logo (or helmet now apparently) and a team wordmark, preferably what the team uses in their home stadium for the majority of games.

I am liking that the NFL is allowing teams to have endzones like they do at their home stadiums.  I am one that also likes when college bowl games have the endzones like the teams use.  

On 1/22/2020 at 12:13 PM, fouhy12 said:

There's a lot that can be criticized about the standardized Super Bowl logos, but the one thing they've absolutely nailed is the jersey patch application. Since Super Bowl XLVII, the patches have looked awesome. They're just shiny enough to stand out on the jersey and really give it that big game feel. 

Why are some of the NBA patches (see Toronto) so bad in comparisons? 

44 minutes ago, ryanheape said:

spacer.png

Looks like we're getting a yellow Chiefs endzone!

I'd be cautious, they may not paint the endzones ...

Until I see gold paint in the Chiefs endzone, and red paint in the 49ers endzone, I don't trust the NFL.

5 minutes ago, pitt6pack said:

I'd be cautious, they may not paint the endzones ...

Until I see gold paint in the Chiefs endzone, and red paint in the 49ers endzone, I don't trust the NFL.

Has the NFL ever done unpainted endzones in the super bowl recently?

6 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

Not actually a prediction. I'm updating the field as more information comes out. So when I change the field on the GFD, its based on something I've actually seen. 

In other field news, the 49ers are going with their classic saloon font in their endzone, and possibly a helmet in the endzone (much like you'd see on their home field). No news from the Chiefs yet, but I'd expect the endzones to be painted soon, now that we know the NFL has at least the 49ers team choice for endzone.

Source on the 49ers endzone here (thanks to @DZhttps://theathletic.com/1554880/2020/01/22/white-jerseys-and-a-saloon-font-end-zone-10-details-about-49ers-super-bowl-week-in-miami/?source=shared-article

One thing I haven't seen answered anywhere: why have the 49ers created a branding inconsistency in the use of fonts? They've been using the classic saloon font in the end zones at Levi's Stadium for the past few years and we now know will use it in Super Bowl LIV. But their official font is still what is called the Faithful Font (as is used on the back of the helmets).

13 minutes ago, s3ahawkz said:

Has the NFL ever done unpainted endzones in the super bowl recently?

They have never done unpainted endzones:

http://gridiron-uniforms.com/fields/controller/controller.php?action=super-bowls

On 1/19/2020 at 4:31 PM, ZapRowsdower8 said:

I did a quick count on the GUD and it looks like teams that use yellow as their secondary color have had yellow end zones in the Super Bowl 23 times, compared to only 5 times using their primary color. The Packers have used green three times and yellow only twice, both of those being the first two Super Bowls. Vikings used purple once and just last year the Rams used blue. All of this means nothing, but I will guess that KC will have a yellow end zone. The 49ers will be red or the Packers green. Either way it’s going to be a beautiful game.  

I did find it interesting that most end zones end up being the same color as the teams primary, except for the teams that use yellow. A few notable exceptions were the Eagles in SB15 using silver. The Bears using orange in SB20. The Dolphins used orange once, but teal every other time. Giants had red in their first two appearances. Patriots had red end zones in SB31. The Saints had gold end zones. 

With the Chiefs appearing to use a yellow end zone the trend continues. Secondary color yellow teams have now used it 24 times compared to just 5 times using their primary color.  

012320201538_l.jpg

Confirmed yellow endzones.

In the past, teams with yellow as a secondary color often used it in the endzone to contrast the color of the "dueling helmets". The Giants went with red endzones for this reason, and the vikings and Rams went yellow for this reason. Also why we saw orange for the Bears.

Archived