2019 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LIV

canzman

On 6/1/2019 at 12:23 PM, NFLfan10 said:

I figured you had some sort of connection. Do you think the look has grown on any of the coaches/management/players in the past few years?

Gase hated the current look. he always wore hats/shirts with the '66 logo. all the players love the throwbacks and most guys prefer them, but the 2018 update was popular.  Ross and Garfinkel like the current look

On 6/1/2019 at 1:07 PM, AndrewMLind said:

I know you’re a part of the creative team, but beyond that, I’m curious as to why you believe that department should have a role in determining what uniforms the players should wear. You should obviously be clued-in in advance for branding, marketing and social media purposes, but that can all be done as a directive.

In my outside opinion, the uniforms should be determined by the owner(s) of the team. If he/she/they don’t want or care for that responsibility, it should be passed down the chain of command (to the president/CEO, then the GM, then the coach — unless the power structure is different, as it is with some teams). Players can and are encouraged provide input on their favorite combinations, especially the best players on the team or those with longer tenures, but it’s not like they’ll be the overriding factor on what is worn each week. And then the creative team should fall under that same umbrella, as you’ll be able to provide input throughout the process of designing a new uniform/logo/etc. or how said combination will look against a certain opponent. 

i dont know if the Creative Team SHOULD have a role in that but the uniforms are an extension of the team Brand and its up to the Creative Department to maintain that brand. so im for it, especially when teams are getting to the point where there are a lot of alternate options. i mean, if left up to Nike or C-Suite, the 49ers might end up in black uniforms...... 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Gase hated the current look. he always wore hats/shirts with the '66 logo. all the players love the throwbacks and most guys prefer them, but the 2018 update was popular.  Ross and Garfinkel like the current look

i dont know if the Creative Team SHOULD have a role in that but the uniforms are an extension of the team Brand and its up to the Creative Department to maintain that brand. so im for it, especially when teams are getting to the point where there are a lot of alternate options. i mean, if left up to Nike or C-Suite, the 49ers might end up in black uniforms...... 

I meant more specifically the white over aqua look. Would you say there's any chance it sticks around as the standard road option even without Gase? I think it would get very old seeing white on white for about 12 out of the 16 games.

On 5/20/2019 at 3:24 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Love the one helmet rule.... May it last forever.

Forget that. I'm a Chargers fan and I like many of the other teams throwbacks. The one-helmet rule hinders teams like the Bucs, Eagles, Patriots, and Cowboys from wanting to wear their older throwback jerseys. Plus, a team like the Bengals have a mismatch in their white color rush uniform with orange helmet, it would look so much better if Cincinnati had a white helmet to go with it like a team in college football does.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/125866-49ers-all-white-throwback-uniforms-october-panthers-other-announcements/

9ers in white throwbacks Week 8 vs. Carolina. I'm fine with this since we've seen this matchup with SF in red several times in recent seasons. Will be interesting to see if Carolina responds with the blue jersey in the warm weather or sticks with the black on black

9 hours ago, gothedistance said:

Forget that. I'm a Chargers fan and I like many of the other teams throwbacks. The one-helmet rule hinders teams like the Bucs, Eagles, Patriots, and Cowboys from wanting to wear their older throwback jerseys. Plus, a team like the Bengals have a mismatch in their white color rush uniform with orange helmet, it would look so much better if Cincinnati had a white helmet to go with it like a team in college football does.

College football teams who wear multiple helmets look like trash.  This is exactly why the one helmet rule is a grand and glorious gift to the world. 

On 5/24/2019 at 4:48 PM, msubulldog said:

The Bills will probably go mono-white throwbacks in Miami, with the Dolphins using their throwbacks. I would live the Bills to break out that same combo in Dallas on Thanksgiving, with the Cowboys in blues (perhaps color rush white pants).

That depends, are the Dolphins going to be wearing both versions of their 1967 throwbacks this coming season?

I had assumed when hearing that they were popping out their white jersey version of their '67 throwback that they'd be shelving the aqua one. Since Miami doesn't have a color rush I suppose that's possible.  

If both teams wear their throwbacks that would be most cool, just as it was over the past two seasons when they have met in South Florida both in the throwbacks.

Since the 1970 merger the Bills have only worn white jerseys when meeting Dallas one time, in 1984 at home in Week 12, and the Bills won that game 14-3.  Gary Hogaboom at QB for the Cowboys.  That was the first season of the red helmets for the Bills.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:56 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

College football teams who wear multiple helmets look like trash.  This is exactly why the one helmet rule is a grand and glorious gift to the world. 

The difference there is that some of the college teams like Oregon especially take it too far and when seeing these teams on TV you can't even identify who Is playing. Maryland is another school, those ones they switched to are just plain awful.

It was NOT like that in 2009 for AFL-50 Legacy games, as we were able to identify the teams, even the Jets who were wearing NY Titans throwbacks. Same thing in 1994 for NFL 75, I had no problem idenfifying which club was playing, but that one was done half-ass by a few of the teams, like the Jets and Bills.  In 1994 I thought the Houston Oilers, LA Rams, and the Raiders white away jersey with the silver jersey numbers and 1963 logo looked far and away the best.  SD Chargers too. 

On 5/30/2019 at 8:41 PM, aaa333bbb said:

I'll give guessing the Bills a shot

1. @ NYJ: Tough to tell what Jets will do with their new set but I'll play it safe. White/Blue vs Green/White 

2. @ NYG: They'll switch it up with their return to MetLife. White/White vs Blue/White

3. vs CIN: They wore white in last years home opener I'll guess they do it again. Black/White vs White/White. 

4. vs NE: Standard. White/Navy vs Blue/White

5. @ TEN: Another tough one I can see the Titans in any combo here. White/Blue vs Navy/Columbia 

7. vs MIA: The start of 3 straight home games for Buffalo. White/Aqua vs Blue/White

8. vs PHI: I think the Bills switch it up a little here. White/White vs Blue/Blue

9. vs WAS: Tempted to put the Bills in throwback here but I'll wait and explain. White/Burgundy vs Blue/White

10. @ CLV: Toss up between color rush and white. White/Blue vs Brown CR

11. @ MIA: They'll keep the throwback tradition alive here. TB White vs TB Aqua

12. vs DEN: Now because they're wearing the throwbacks the week prior, I think its easier for the equipment staff to leave the stickers on the helmets for another week. They did this last year when they played Jacksonville then Miami. Orange/White vs TB White.  

13. @ DAL: No idea what either team will do for the Thanksgiving game. Dallas is on TNF the following week so I think they'll save the color rush for that. If Dallas goes navy I can see the Bills sticking with the throwbacks for another week. I can also see the Bills breaking out the color rush too but I'll go with the boring option. Blue/White vs Dallas normal white set. 

14. vs BAL: Very confident with what the Bills do here but the Ravens pant option is a flip of a coin. White/Black vs Red/Red CR

15. @ PIT: Should look good. White/Blue vs Black/Yellow

16. @ NE: Won't look as good. White/White vs Navy/Silver

17. NYJ: Bills will probably want to go Blue on Blue one more time. White/White vs Blue/Blue

I can pretty much assure you of two things.

The Bills will NOT go blue on blue more than one time, we never have since hanging up those navy blue Donahoe monstrosities in 2011.

Buffalo will be in the 1965 white on white throwbacks against Dallas on Thanksgiving Day, while Dallas will be in navy over most likely their white pants, and this will be only the second time ever that the Bills will have worn white jerseys vs Dallas. First and only time was week 12 in 1984 which the Bills won 14-3 .. red helmets w/ blue facemask, white jerseys, blue pants, red socks.

Due to the one-helmet rule the Cowboys haven't been wearing those awesome looking 1960-1963 navy jersey throwbacks w/ the white helmets, they've been wearing their navy jerseys at home on Thanksgiving Day. Only question is if they wear the white pants, My guess is yes.

On 5/31/2019 at 9:36 AM, NYC Cosmos said:

It would be nice to see the Packers-Raiders and Packers-Chiefs wear their uni from SB I and II

If so that wouldn't be that much of a change.

KC would have to switch to the enlarged helmet decal that was worn before it was downsized in 1974, and the gray facemask along w/ their white pants and white jerseys w/ the TV numbers on the sleeves. I liked that larger helmet logo so much better than the current downsize.

There's no difference in the Raiders home uniforms from the 1967 SB II season and the current one.

Green Bay with the gray facemasks, but the jerseys were only slightly different, so unless it's one of us uniform geeks from this chat board many NFL fans most likely wouldn't even notice. 

5 hours ago, ARTnSocal said:

The Bills will NOT go blue on blue more than one time, we never have since hanging up those navy blue Donahoe monstrosities in 2011.

They went blue on blue twice last year (Wk 9 & 17), 3 times in 2016 and twice in 2015. http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/controller/controller.php?action=teams-season&team_id=BUF&year=2018

9 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Chicago will be in those white throwbacks at home vs. MIN and DAL. Will be interesting to see them paired up with the Cowboys in navy. Quite a refreshing change from what we see pretty much every time those teams meet.

These uniforms are from the 1930's. It would've been cooler to wear them against teams that were around during that time.

10 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

These uniforms are from the 1930's. It would've been cooler to wear them against teams that were around during that time.

Switch out Dallas for Green Bay and have the Minnesota wear Duluth Eskimos “throwbacks” — they folded in 1927, but at least appropriate of the general timeframe. Or swap the Vikings for the New York Giants.

11 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

You mean like their 2 division rivals that have colored throwback uniforms to contrast their white throwbacks, that makes way too much sense. I understand they want to wear them at home and they open the NFL's 100th season at home against GB, again that makes way too much sense. Also if they aren't going to wear them when they visit Detroit for Thanksgiving then wear them when Detroit visits earlier in the year and get the Lions on board to bring their throwbacks.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I feel like this idea of engineering a great match-up of uniforms is something we might give a lot of consideration to on here, but probably not what the decision makers of a team would really care that much about. Obviously, if I owned a team, I'd sit down and micro-manage the whole season's uniform schedule based who we were playing and when.  Whoever is making uniform decisions for an NFL team is mostly interested in selling jerseys and maximizing the exposure it would take to make this happen.  That being said, you'd think games against their biggest rival (Green Bay) and on Thanksgiving (Detroit) would do just that.

On 6/11/2019 at 11:36 AM, NFLfan10 said:

Chicago will be in those white throwbacks at home vs. MIN and DAL. Will be interesting to see them paired up with the Cowboys in navy. Quite a refreshing change from what we see pretty much every time those teams meet.

That means that based on my predictions for the Cowboys this season there may only be one road game this season (at Philly) where they will be "par for the course". It also makes me wonder if they will do their white Color Rush thing on Thanksgiving or the season opener.

On 5/29/2019 at 6:55 PM, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Wouldn't have been against the Falcons wearing throwbacks in this game to echo the 1998-99 Super Bowl 

terrell_davis_005.jpg

It would be cool if they surprised us and did just that since they already wear the fauxbacks. All they'd need is a set of grey pants.

ClAFLDa.png

2 hours ago, msubulldog said:

That means that based on my predictions for the Cowboys this season there may only be one road game this season (at Philly) where they will be "par for the course". It also makes me wonder if they will do their white Color Rush thing on Thanksgiving or the season opener.

I doubt they'd wear color rush opening weekend, but man that would be a nice change from what we seem to see every year on opening weekend when the league lazily schedules the Giants to come to Dallas. But yes, it is odd how many Dallas opponents have a realistic shot at forcing them to wear the navy this season.

5 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

You mean like their 2 division rivals that have colored throwback uniforms to contrast their white throwbacks, that makes way too much sense. I understand they want to wear them at home and they open the NFL's 100th season at home against GB, again that makes way too much sense. Also if they aren't going to wear them when they visit Detroit for Thanksgiving then wear them when Detroit visits earlier in the year and get the Lions on board to bring their throwbacks.

What a great idea, two teams BOTH wearing their throwbacks, and especially against a club which they have a history with, like say how Tennessee and New England did in 2009, reinventing a look from their matchup in 1961 when it was the Houston Oilers at Boston Patriots ... 

Yes .. that definitely makes too much sense . . 🙄 

or ... perhaps Chargers at Chiefs, also in 2009 when they were replicating Chargers at Dallas Texans (1960-1962)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived