mmajeski06

Teams You Became A Fan of Based on Logo / Uniforms

They're not my favorite teams (I don't really have those other than Tottenham), but I developed a soft spot for the Browns and Jets.

spacer.png

Derp.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:54 AM, mmajeski06 said:

Apologies if this one was started in the past - but thought it would be fun to go over teams who you have taken a rooting interest in, based solely on their logos and uniforms.

There was a thread back in 2014: Uniforms that made you a fan of the team; but being as that was 5 years ago (and the topic is closed)  -- no problem with a "reboot".

I'll relate three of mine from that thread:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks, and later Charlotte Hornets.

I first learned of the Bucs in the spring of 1976, on a family vacation to Florida when I was 11. Riding in a car with my relatives, I saw an orange billboard in Tampa with the Bucco Bruce logo and the saying, "The Bucs are Coming!" (in red letters). I asked my Uncle Mike what that was about; he explained that it was a new NFL team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, that would be starting up in the fall. I remember really liking the name and unusual color scheme. Later that summer, Icees (Slurpees for most of you) were being sold in collectible NFL helmet cups, and I got the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, which I thought was really cool.  I also was able to get the other new team, which I found was the Seattle Seahawks, and found their blue, green and silver scheme with wrap-around totem pole-looking logo really cool. I became fans of those teams and actually saw the Tampa Bay Buccaneers first win (against the Saints) in 1977.

In the fall of 1987, just starting in grad school at Georgia Tech , I found out about the forthcoming 4 team NBA expansion (just the locations and the names).  I doodled possible logos for each team, and kind of liked the name Charlotte Hornets.  When I went to my first Atlanta Hawks game in November of that year, I bought a program which had articles about all 4 teams. Three of these had the logos (Miami's came later).  The Orlando Magic's logo and colors were pretty cool, as were the Minnesota Timberwolves' Seahawk-esque blue, green and silver, but what blew my mind was the "teal and purple striped bee" as it was described for the Charlotte Hornets.  The only team at that time to use a variation of teal was the Dolphins (who called it aqua), and no one had ever combined teal with purple. I found it the coolest color combo I had ever seen, and immediately took a liking to the team. . It also didn't hurt that teal/aqua was becoming a popular color in general at that time (ties, cars, gadgets, etc.) or that I've often taking a liking to teams in "new" areas without other franchises.

I became a fan of the Oregon Ducks and Michigan State Spartans because of their uniforms. I got to watch the first game Oregon played in the, at the time, top of the line uniforms with the first gen wings on the shoulders when they came to play Boise State here. And then I became a huge fan of Mich State's Pro Combat uniforms. Things became complicated when the two teams started playing each other. 

But seriously, these two teams got me into the uniform design game and uh, here I am. 

On 5/19/2019 at 9:57 AM, MrFreckles said:

I actually chose Tottenham for that reason. 

“It’s a chicken on a soccer ball! That’s awesome!” 

My wife is not a fan of soccer...but is a diehard fan of FC Koln. Why? According to her "because it has a :censored:ing Billy Goat in the logo."

spacer.png

Young me saw these jerseys on SportsCenter one morning and thought, "They wear yellow/orange...at home...instead of white (teams used to wear white at home, kids)...that's awesome!"

Oddly enough, researching their logo change to the Orca, 22 years ago, is how I stumbled onto these boards...and subsequently realized I wasn't the only kid who liked sports logos.

59 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

but what blew my mind was the "teal and purple striped bee" as it was described for the Charlotte Hornets. .... I found it the coolest color combo I had ever seen, and immediately took a liking to the team. 

I didn't notice it until when they got to the playoffs in 2016, wasn't an NBA fan.  The colors combined with the square letters and numbers hooked me.

For me, back in the Late 90's I was pulled to the navy and gold Astros identity.  It helped with guys like Bagwell and Biggio.  The Rays were relatively new, and I did support them, I always has a soft spot for the Astros thru the mid 2000's.  Never lived in Texas, didnt attend an Astrosl game out in Houston until 2002.

Needless to say, it was the inspiration for my handle on these forums and it remains the only place this handle remains with me.

As an Oakland native, I have been spoiled with great uniforms (Raiders/A's/Sharks), but I did pick up two favorite teams based on uniforms alone:

1: Chicago White Sox. So much has been written about the White Sox cap's legacy in rap, but aside from that hat I loved their black/grey look as a Raiders fan (obviously, the Raiders are equally as influential in rap). Ironically I ended up moving to Chicago for college and the White Sox will always remain my #2 behind the A's.

2: Carolina Panthers. The black and electric blue was SO damn cool to me in high school. I had a Panthers jersey and everything. I gave it away in college because I thought "no way in hell I'll ever end up in North Carolina..." and because fate has a sense of humor, I ended up in Raleigh for a few years.

For me, the Philadelphia 76ers twice.

First before I really understood basketball, I was just a kid who knew who AI was and I loved the jersey from that era

spacer.png

Then again as a teen who understood basketball I fell in love with the 2015-present jerseys, specifically the current association edition

spacer.png

The balance of red-white-blue on these jerseys is just beautiful.

5 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

They're not my favorite teams (I don't really have those other than Tottenham), but I developed a soft spot for the Browns and Jets.

spacer.png

Derp.

Can’t believe they both thought they needed to move from this classic look. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

When I was a kid in the 90s, I used to look at all the NFL helmets and for some reason the Bills' was my favorite one. I just loved the red and blue colors and how it looked so good under the lights in primetime. Once I picked that helmet as my favorite, I've been (sometimes regrettably) a Bills fan ever since.

Though I wasn't a huge basketball fan until the early 2000's, I loved the Charlotte Hornets logo and colors so much that I became a Hornets fan, although my allegiances are now split between New Orleans and Charlotte. The 2002-2008 New Orleans logo was my favorite.

spacer.png

I guess I had a thing for aqua growing up.

Hornets/ dolphins/ Marlins.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm still a dolphins fan to this day, mostly in large part to Dan Marino.  I remember seeing the Rockies and Marlins play at the old mile high stadium. Ace Ventura played a part in me liking Miami initially as well. With no pro teams in my area, each of my friends and siblings each had their reasons for their own favorite team. I was the Miami guy growing up. 

On a non aqua front, you hear this a lot.

spacer.png

Major league and wahoo. Loved the movie growing up. I Have grown fond of the logo over many years. I think I own 20+ Wahoo on field caps at this point. 

20 hours ago, WBeltz said:

I always had a strong connection to a team if they had the same colors as my high school which was Columbia/Carolina Blue & Black, or one of those two colors. Otherwise I always had a love for teams with birds or bears. Particularly these ones:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was so upset in 1989 when they went to the "real life bird" that I quit liking them as one of my teams.  Then low and behold in 2012 when the cartoon bird came back I started paying attention to them again and bought a hat even though they are not my fav team.  Same with the Toronto Blue Jays.  I stopped liking them when they switched unis with Rodger Clemens and didn't take interest in them till 2012 when they ditched the black jay uniforms.  Then in 2013 the Astros righted a wrong which I enjoyed too.  

When I was 10 I chose the Bills over the Jets/Giants mostly because they did not have a lame "wordmark" logo on their helmet.  This was the late 70's, when they had the white helmets.  But, the other big one was when the USFL came around and I chose to ignore my NY roots and blow off the Generals in favor of the Breakers.  That was 100% due to their helmets. 

spacer.png

20 hours ago, agentrygraphics said:

My wife is not a fan of soccer...but is a diehard fan of FC Koln. Why? According to her "because it has a :censored:ing Billy Goat in the logo."

Hey, and they made it back into Bundesliga for next year. 

Wonder if if she’d like Duisburg for similar reasons. 

spacer.png

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for colleges and universities with unusual mascots, specifically the Trinity College (IL) Trolls.

spacer.png

There is literally no team that I'm a "fan" of because of their logo or uniform. I've always had a reason that's either sentimental or geographical for the teams I sell my soul to.

But I have developed a liking over the years for the Oakland Athletics and Pittsburgh Steelers because they have some of my favorite uniforms in baseball and football, respectively. I also have always liked Michigan State's colors and uniforms in spite of being a Hoosiers fan.

15 hours ago, MattMill said:

I guess I had a thing for aqua growing up.

Hornets/ dolphins/ Marlins.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm still a dolphins fan to this day, mostly in large part to Dan Marino.  I remember seeing the Rockies and Marlins play at the old mile high stadium. Ace Ventura played a part in me liking Miami initially as well. With no pro teams in my area, each of my friends and siblings each had their reasons for their own favorite team. I was the Miami guy growing up. 

On a non aqua front, you hear this a lot.

spacer.png

Major league and wahoo. Loved the movie growing up. I Have grown fond of the logo over many years. I think I own 20+ Wahoo on field caps at this point. 

I'm with you. Being a HighSchooler in the 90's teal is still my favorite color. I have lots of Hornets, Marlins, Dolphins, and Jaguars gear. Lived in the Midwest my whole life and I still follow these Southern teams.

Will always have a soft-spot for the 90s Teal as well - Little League teams growing up were the Marlins and the Mariners. 

I'm late to the teal fan club, but I love it now.  The old Hornets and Marlins fonts bother me though.  That makes a difference to me.