Teams You Became A Fan of Based on Logo / Uniforms

23 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I'm late to the teal fan club, but I love it now.  The old Hornets and Marlins fonts bother me though.  That makes a difference to me.

What exactly bothers you about the fonts? spacer.pngspacer.png

Excellent!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of you have become a fan of a whole sport or a level of a sport because of uniforms or colors?  I didn't care about NBA, college teams, MiLB, or Arena FB before I found teams with branding I liked.  Most of these have been in the past few years.

I've also started liking Boise State, EMU and CCU because of their football turf colors.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

38 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The serifs just look "old" to me compared to the new wordmarks.  Maybe if I was a fan of them before I'd be used to them, but as a new fan they look outdated.  

...what sense does this make? Both of these are more modern uniforms, both coming in the late nineties. Compared to let’s say half the nba and probably over half the mlb these are new wordmarks they don’t look old in any capacity 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

55 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

In late 1979 my mom brought me to Sears. She placed in front of me a Yankees and Mets cap and asked which one I wanted. Four year old me chose the Yankee cap. While I remember the day vividly, I don’t recall why I made that choice.

000d00037932cbadedc3de65e9c9c682.jpg

You dodged one there.

On the other side of things you have my dad who ended up a Jets fan because of a tree blocked the signal for the Giants games at my grandparents house when he was a kid. The Jets games came in perfectly fine. 

On 5/21/2019 at 9:02 PM, WideRight said:

But, the other big one was when the USFL came around and I chose to ignore my NY roots and blow off the Generals in favor of the Breakers.  That was 100% due to their helmets. 

spacer.png

Whoa, I forgot about this one.  I picked this exact team for this exact reason.

Loved the Minnesota North Stars because they were one of two teams that embraced green and it looked nice with athletic gold and black.  Even when they downplayed the green in favor of black I thought they still looked sharp.  Aside from a brief period where they used a collegiate-script they continued to look good after the move to Dallas and I still cheer for them today.

TM3MxgU.jpg

11 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

How many of you have become a fan of a whole sport or a level of a sport because of uniforms or colors?

Yup, per my earlier post in this thread I can thank the Mighty Ducks for that.

In the UK we have the Elite Ice Hockey League as the top level, but there's neither a team local to me or one with a logo that I like, so I don't follow it closely. Doesn't help that several of them share their names with NHL teams, and one of them blatantly stole the Calgary Flames logo.

Fortunately there are two teams in lower levels that are local to me, so I can at least get my fix. But I've never felt any real attachment to either as I'm stuck between one that used a recoloured blue and gold Bucco Bruce for several years (the Romford London Raiders) and another with a clichéd Native American themed identity and an ugly mess of a clipart logo (the Chelmsford Chieftains).

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I only cheer for my home teams and my alma mater.  But as a kid, I usually had a handful of secondary teams and usually based on uniforms.  

Pre-Timberwolves, I liked the Celtics for their green uniforms (though the fact that they were always good probably played into that).  The Bengals were my second-favorite team because of the uniforms.  I liked the Buccaneers for that reason.  And the Red Wings (who were not very good in the 1980s).  I don't know that I ever really did that in MLB.

As an adult, I've kinda dropped the idea of having "second favorite team."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

15 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Same here.

Me three.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Grew up a 49ers fan but when I first saw the Jaguars helmet upon their first season, I thought it was the best helmet in all of football. As a young kid, that logo to me made this new expansion team a cool team to follow. They remain as my second favorite team because of it. 

353675_original.jpg?1287056975

Go A's!

When I was 10 I chose the Bills over the Jets/Giants mostly because they did not have a lame "wordmark" logo on their helmet. 

The Bills had an excellent helmet, the standing red Buffalo.  So I can see why you would have chosen that.  I was lucky that, when I first saw football, the Giants were still wearing their classic ny logo.  And then in 1975 they went to the logo that you can see in my sig:

logo-giants-1975.png

I liked that logo so much that that was the one that I drew all over my notebooks for years after the team dropped it in favour of the wordmark logo that you accurately describe as lame.

But, the other big one was when the USFL came around and I chose to ignore my NY roots and blow off the Generals in favor of the Breakers.  That was 100% due to their helmets. 

spacer.png

That Breakers' helmet did have a gorgeous design, and the team had wonderful colours.  As with the Buffalo Bills, I can understand your choice. 

While I really liked the Generals' colours, and while their logo was good from the purely aesthetic standpoint, I absolutely could not get with the military theme.  So I tried to consider the Philadelphia Stars as my team, as they, too, had a great colour scheme.  But the Generals had Herschel Walker, and then, in 1985, the great Doug Flutie; so I wound up rooting for them in spite of myself.  However, I could never wear their gear.  I had hats from various USFL teams, but not the Generals; and, seven years ago when I did my first century on a bike, I rewarded myself with the purchase of a fitted Stars hat.  And, on a trip to Philadelphia last year, I went into Franklin Field, and was pleased to be in the same place where the Stars defeated the Generals in the 1984 playoffis (after the Generals had handed the Stars their only two losses of the regular season).

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I picked the jaguars as my team when i was little for the cool jerseys and because they were good on madden. Growing up an hour from philly, I have become fans of all the teams, including the eagles, but the jaguars have been my #1 team. But ive realized its much more fun to cheer for the same team as everyone else. And man my jags stink.

I picked tottenham because it was the only team i ever beat my friend at fifa with. It helps they had sick kits at the time (HP ones)

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Archived