Sign in to follow this  
neo_prankster

NBA league logo origins

I'm sure you guys have heard how this photo below was what inspired the NBA's logo:

jerry-west-nba-logo.jpg

I recently found this magazine cover below. A much closer match if you ask me.

C9n61b_UIAMk7uv.jpg

Now that I think about it, I wonder how the logo would've looked if they were able to have both Mr Clutch and the Big O.

9 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

I'm sure you guys have heard how this photo below was what inspired the NBA's logo:

jerry-west-nba-logo.jpg

I recently found this magazine cover below. A much closer match if you ask me.

C9n61b_UIAMk7uv.jpg

Now that I think about it, I wonder how the logo would've looked if they were able to have both Mr Clutch and the Big O.

I tried photoshopping that picture and immediately ran into a design problem.  As it stands, the current NBA logo uses the white space of the player to separate the blue and red backgrounds.  If you included two players in the logo, you'd have to find a way to make the blue and red meet in the middle, between the players.  You could try using a thin white line, but since the players' silhouettes are white/negative space, this looks funny.  

About the cleanest option is to just have red and blue meet vertically, but this really takes away from the simplicity of the current logo.  Hard to feel like it's not a downgrade.

Plus, you also have other sports using a similar design which feels pretty timeless.  Helps create a bit of sports unity across other major leagues.

pg2_mlblogo_300.jpg

10 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Plus, you also have other sports using a similar design which feels pretty timeless.  Helps create a bit of sports unity across other major leagues.

pg2_mlblogo_300.jpg

But now the question becomes which came first between the NBA and MLB as far as their current league logos and stuff.

1 minute ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

I wonder what football pose would make a good NBA/MLB type logo. 

Maybe this one of Bart Starr?

bart-starr-green-bay-packers.jpg?w=645&h

Johnny Unitas?

709f4e2b08d02cb5435837f53f7f2bd1.jpg

Or how about Roman Gabriel?

2db96a6d5e555051158512efc1e1c1cd.jpg

10 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

All three good. You definitely have to go with QB. The most famous position. 

And the most tactical position too.

I was hoping it would be a longsnapper, personally. Just a silhouette of a bent over fat guy. 

22 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

I was hoping it would be a longsnapper, personally. Just a silhouette of a bent over fat guy. 

Or Eddy Lacy

Don't worry guys, I got this.

DTVOnWt.png

1 hour ago, Lafarge said:

DTVOnWt.png

Hmmm.... Very interesting.

1 hour ago, Lafarge said:

DTVOnWt.png

Did you just Sanchez that thing? 

I really want to see one of AARP member Nolan Ryan rearranging Robin Ventura's face now. 

3 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Johnny Unitas?

709f4e2b08d02cb5435837f53f7f2bd1.jpg

If anyone has skills, this would look great in a mlb/nba styled logo.

12 hours ago, DouglasQuaid said:

If anyone has skills, this would look great in a mlb/nba styled logo.

I'm no expert, but here's a quick version I threw together.  I'm sure someone else on here has the skills to make this really professional looking.

vW9GIP3.png

I would say the ball needs to be more football shaped and the other arm MUCH less of a Hitler salute.

Plus the facemask needs to be fleshed out so it's clearly a facemask and not a very long tongue.

11 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

I'm no expert, but here's a quick version I threw together.  I'm sure someone else on here has the skills to make this really professional looking.

vW9GIP3.png

With the shape of the ball and the single bar helmet, this looks like it could be the logo for the Rollerball League.

I know I'm dating myself, how many on here remember the movie Rollerball starring James Caan?

I know they made a remake a few years ago, but the helmet looks more like the old days.

rollerball%201975_zps6nysxrdk.png

32 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I would say the ball needs to be more football shaped and the other arm MUCH less of a Hitler salute.

Plus the facemask needs to be fleshed out so it's clearly a facemask and not a very long tongue.

I don't disagree.  I just took the photo of Unitas and ran it through some filters until it was reduced to simple shapes.  His arm IS kinda making a Hitler salute and the angle of the football is such that the pointy end is directly pointed at the camera, so it appears round. 

This was more of a proof of concept than a finished logo.  I'm not really interested in tweaking it.

3 hours ago, MC Buffalo said:

With the shape of the ball and the single bar helmet, this looks like it could be the logo for the Rollerball League.

I know I'm dating myself, how many on here remember the movie Rollerball starring James Caan?

I know they made a remake a few years ago, but the helmet looks more like the old days.

rollerball%201975_zps6nysxrdk.png

Man, I haven't seen Rollerball in years.  That was such a good bad movie.

Now I want to see someone make concept uniforms for a rollerball league.

20 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

But now the question becomes which came first between the NBA and MLB as far as their current league logos and stuff.

MLB came first - their logo was unveiled in 1969, for the 100th anniversary.

The NBA was directly inspired by MLB's logo, unveiling theirs for their 25th anniversary in 1970.