Seattle NHL Expansion Concepts (05/25: Pilots)

Christian Legault

Hey everyone, haven't use these boards in a while but wanted some feedback on some concepts I've been working on. I've finished 4 potential names for the new Seattle team and wanted to see what everyone thinks. I also would like to know what other names I should tackle as well as seeing what other names people think are realistic for the owners to choose. 

1. Seattle Kraken

This name probably won't be used, but it's the first logo I made for the team, so I've been working on it for while and still wanted to share.

spacer.png

2. Seattle Sockeye

I think this is the most realistic name for the team, It's well liked by most people. My issue is do the people of Seattle want a fish as their mascot? 

spacer.png

3. Seattle Totems

One of my favourite logos I've made in while. The problem with this name is people will and have called it cultural appropriation. Nonetheless, could be a cool brand IMO. 

spacer.png

4. Seattle Sasquatch

I've always liked this name, it's unique, and can make for a cool logo. Notice I've added mount Rainier in the logo. I think this name is probably a long shot but who knows. 

spacer.png

5. Seattle Pilots

Next up is a concept for the Pilots, a name with some ties and history to the city. It was used for an old baseball team, hence why I was inspired to do a script logo. People probably won't like that, but I'm trying to be creative and different from the rest of the NHL. I also made a primary logo (lines need a bit of cleaning up, but I don't want to spend too much time on this name), which is a propellor in the shape of an S. 

The name is again a long-shot, but one of my favourites and sounds like an NHL name. The problem is that it is very similar to JETS, and again ties more to baseball history than hockey. 

spacer.png

Thanks in advance!

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Twitter: @lestoplegault - Email: Christiantlegault@gmail.com Blog: http://legaultdesigns.blogspot.ca/

As much as I really don't like the Kraken name, you've got a really nice concept there.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone in my city, but I think Sockeyes is a great name. I like the color scheme a lot but I think the color balancing could be improved. I'd probably drop the silver striping (since it bleeds together with the green)

Good work!

These are all beautiful

The Sockeyes are my favorite I think. Love the unique color scheme that feels very pacific Northwest without being just generic. Id love to see a full set for them, maybe with an orange alt.

The Totems are a close second for me. Again with a beautifully unique color scheme. Space needle in the logo is clever and we'll executed. Id like to see a lime green hem stripe and maybe a white outline on the logo.

The Sasquatch have a great logo, the mountain is really nice and doesnt seem forced at all. Id like to see them with a slightly different color scheme. I think the green has a too much blue and should be a darker more olive or army green and I'd have the yellow trend closer to gold. They are soild overall though.

The Kraken are probably my least favorite, the logo and everything is excellent, the colors and Jersey just seem flat to me.

As for other names... Ive seen Emeralds thrown out there a lot. And Vegas has odds on the team name, with Rainiers and Renegades also being in the top 5. 

My favorites go in the order in which you posted. Kraken, although I hate the name, is slightly above sockeyes. Partially because the logo is better but mainly because, while both of the teams have great color schemes I specifically like the double blue more because of its connections to the Seahawks and mariners(sort of) Sockeyes is definitely a strong #2 because it’s by far the best name, and the colors are wonderful. Update the logo to just the fish and it’d be my number 1. Totems are alright, the logo is good and the colors are unique, it just doesn’t scream Seattle or nhl tbh. The Sasquatch is imo the worst name out of the ones you choose, which isn’t anything against you obviously, the logo is well done and I like the colors and striping, just the name is not good, and the jersey feels bare.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the Totems concept is the best one here. I think you’re right that it won’t happen because it’s just too controversial anymore to evoke Native American imagery for the sake of sports branding. Even though there’s that historical connection.  I like that you went with bright colors for that though.  The ‘Squatch is my favorite logo of the four... I think that makes a great minor league or junior team concept; not an NHL team.

My qualms about the name aside, my big issue with the Totems jerseys is that I see that palette and think retro Blue Jackets, and in my mind, they kind of own that palette.

rATMcmK.png

Kraken - Love the colors.  Logo is good. 

Sockeyes - I like the colors.  definitely unique.  Logo does look a little minor league to me, but maybe that's because the only fish logos like that I've seen are minor league ones.

Totems - i think this would look a lot better with the colors adjusted.  I know your first two were navy, but this would benefit a lot with a darker blue, make the neon more green.  

Sasquatch - love the jersey.  Classy all around.  The logo though reminds me of the Jim Carey Grinch with Klingon forehead ridges.  Sorry.  Look at images of real sasquatch for better ideas. (i kid).  One thing on the jersey i just noticed actually us the bottom hem stripe.  It is thicker on the back of the jersey than it is on the front.  bring it up a little on the front and you'd be good. 

overall, these all have some great qualities and i'd love to see full uniforms and road versions.  I really like the path the Sasquatch is on though.  

19 hours ago, GDLions said:

These are all beautiful

The Sockeyes are my favorite I think. Love the unique color scheme that feels very pacific Northwest without being just generic. Id love to see a full set for them, maybe with an orange alt.

The Totems are a close second for me. Again with a beautifully unique color scheme. Space needle in the logo is clever and we'll executed. Id like to see a lime green hem stripe and maybe a white outline on the logo.

The Sasquatch have a great logo, the mountain is really nice and doesnt seem forced at all. Id like to see them with a slightly different color scheme. I think the green has a too much blue and should be a darker more olive or army green and I'd have the yellow trend closer to gold. They are soild overall though.

The Kraken are probably my least favorite, the logo and everything is excellent, the colors and Jersey just seem flat to me.

As for other names... Ive seen Emeralds thrown out there a lot. And Vegas has odds on the team name, with Rainiers and Renegades also being in the top 5. 

Thank you! Appreciate it. As for the names, I just struggle to do anything with emeralds. I have some ideas for Rainiers and might make a logo for that name, probably my next one after I finish working on the name Pilots. Renegades has been done by multiple teams in the past and doesn't fit well with Seattle, personally not a fan. 

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

Twitter: @lestoplegault - Email: Christiantlegault@gmail.com Blog: http://legaultdesigns.blogspot.ca/

Wow! Spectacular work on these, heres my thoughts:

1. Really nice logo for the Kraken, smooth, streamlined and sleek and the colors work great although the lighter blue and green could be saturated a little more to create some vibrance

2. Sockeyes look absolutely terrific, color scheme is perfect and even represent the animal great too. Favorite of the group.

3. Love the striping on the Totems, and the green is what I envisioned for the Kraken. I agree with @B-mer about the Totems color scheme, the dark red, teal and white would look great for them.

4. Sasquatch are awesome, incorporating Mt. Rainer into the forehead was clever as :censored:, not crazy about that number font or double outline, but i could easily live with it.

a2BRS8U.png

I think Pilots is off to a good start, but needs some cleaning up. The primary logo looks a bit too much like the Hurricanes and needs some significant alterations IMO to separate it. Also in the script on the jersey the use of a plane for the ‘TT’s in Sea’tt’le makes it look like it only has a a single T and is misspelled. If you’re going to go down that route I think you should use a twin fuselage aircraft like pic related.spacer.png

Lastly, this is a personal preference but in order for Seattle to stand out colourwise I think you should increase the amount of teal on the jersey by a significant amount, and maybe darken the red a bit. Right now that could be a Blackhawks/Sens/Hurricanes/Flames jersey.

3 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I think Pilots is off to a good start, but needs some cleaning up. The primary logo looks a bit too much like the Hurricanes and needs some significant alterations IMO to separate it. Also in the script on the jersey the use of a plane for the ‘TT’s in Sea’tt’le makes it look like it only has a a single T and is misspelled. If you’re going to go down that route I think you should use a twin fuselage aircraft like pic related.spacer.png

Lastly, this is a personal preference but in order for Seattle to stand out colourwise I think you should increase the amount of teal on the jersey by a significant amount, and maybe darken the red a bit. Right now that could be a Blackhawks/Sens/Hurricanes/Flames jersey.

The red is actually the exact shade the Seattle group is using in all their promos and media. I wanted to utilize that color in atleast one of my concepts. I actually had more blue, but then the blue becomes the center of attention and I didn't want that, I wanted it more to be an accent. 

I think a better solution to the problem reading Seatle, is outlining the two halfs of the plane individually. I may try that. 

Edit: here it is with a bit more seperation so that it read Seattle. Personally I don't read it as Seatle, but of course there is bias as I worked on the logo. 

spacer.png

sig_zpsbkzghgfz.png

I definitely read it with one "T", I still kinda do lol. But its still really cool. Honestly though, Its a better Carolina set lol. If that was carolina blue youve got yourswlf a pretty nice Canes alt. With the script and the numbers on the front it feels very collegiate to me.

Archived