NAFA Project | MIA, CHI, SA, DET updates added 1/19

PERRIN

Atlanta Rampage or Atlanta Silverbacks - The first name simply sounds good to me. For some reason, in my mind's eye, I see the logo package for it revolving around images of a charging rhinoceros. As for the second suggestion, it is a tip of the hat to Zoo Atlanta's simian ambassador for nearly 40 years, Willie B. Though Willie has passed on, his legacy lives in Zoo Atlanta's world-renowned gorilla program, as well as his many offspring who call the zoo home. 

Cincinnati Centaurs or Cincinnati Steamboats - The first suggestion - like your own Cincinnati Dragons - draws upon a powerful figure of myth and fable with which to brand itself, though the Centaurs identity is both more unique amongst North American pro and college teams and also provides for a pleasingly alliterative name. As for the second suggestion, it calls to mind Cincinnati's position as an American port city during the era of steam-driven paddlewheel transportation.  

Cleveland Guardians - Named for the iconic "Guardians of Traffic" sculptures adorning Cleveland's Hope Memorial Bridge (formerly the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge.)

Colorado Cutthroats or Denver Dinos - The first recognizes the Greenback Cutthroat Trout, the official state fish of Colorado. The second is a nod to the fact that Colorado was the site of the very first Stegosaurus fossil finds (hence, the creature being the official state fossil), discovered in 1876.  

Indiana Thunderbolts or Indiana Warbirds - Both names salute the official state aircraft of Indiana, the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (a "warbird" is a vintage military aircraft, particularly from the World War II era).      

Kansas City Stampede - A tribute to the importance of the livestock industry in Kansas City, particularly during the 80-year heyday of the Kansas City Stockyards.

Las Vegas Vipers or Las Vegas Venom - The former refers to the Horned, Mojave, and Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnakes that call the area home, while the latter expands the field of Southern Nevada's namesake poisonous pests to include scorpions, as well as desert recluse and black widow spiders. No shortage of imagery to draw from when designing a logo. 

Memphis Pharaohs - Memphis shares its name with that of an ancient Egyptian capital city (hence the decision to build the former arena originally dubbed the Great American Pyramid).  

Pittsburgh Vulcans - Vulcan was the god of the forge and metalworking in Roman mythology, making him a fitting namesake for a team representing the longtime center of the American steelmaking industry. 

Portland Stags or Portland Cutthroats - The former name recognizes both Oregon's abundant wildlife and the famous sign atop the structure at 70 NW Couch Street in Portland that has featured the depiction of a leaping white stag - originally promoting White Stag Sportswear - since 1957. The latter name (should you opt not to use it for a Denver-based franchise) is that of a gamefish much prized by local anglers.         

San Francisco Sea Wolves or San Francisco Stellers - Both names recognize sea creatures. The first is a colloquialism for the killer whale/orca; the second is the largest species of sea lion.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back to posting following my 2 week absence. Let's get right to the next team, the New Orleans Corsairs.

52sm8OH.png

FKEJpPA.png

p0QBHyd.png

Inspired by the history of piracy in the Gulf of Mexico, and the historical Pirates Alley located in the city.

Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

• Like 8

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

• PERRIN changed the title to (New Orleans added [18/40]) International Association of American Football

I would rename the Sacramento team from "Kraken" to "Octopodes". The reason is because the Kraken name wouldn't make any sense for a team playing near the Pacific Ocean, since it is linked to Scandinavian folklore as a mythical creature that terrorized ships in the North Atlantic Ocean, near the coastlines of Norway and Greenland.

Therefore, I think Octopodes would be a more appropriate name for the Sacramento team, even though Sacramento is actually inland.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Moving on to the next team, the Indianapolis Checkers! (Thanks @texashockeyfan for the suggestion!)

DKGgiON.png

dSpsipl.png

ajyfEh1.png

Refers to the checkered flags used in racing, a sport that is a staple in Indianapolis. The flame at the top of the I is taken from the Indiana flag.

Uniforms use checker patterns throughout the striping.

• Like 8

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to (Indianapolis added [19/40]) International Association of American Football

You're welcome. 

On 8/10/2019 at 9:49 AM, Punchy_Gungus said:

Moving on to the next team, the Indianapolis Checkers! (Thanks @texashockeyfan for the suggestion!)

DKGgiON.png

dSpsipl.png

ajyfEh1.png

Refers to the checkered flags used in racing, a sport that is a staple in Indianapolis. The flame at the top of the I is taken from the Indiana flag.

Uniforms use checker patterns throughout the striping.

• PERRIN changed the title to (Las Vegas added [20/40]) International Association of American Football
7 hours ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

Moving on to the next team, the Las Vegas Venom. (Thanks @Brian in Boston for the suggestion!)

6EGPpEr.png

ZQ3x1gH.png

dLQZfQ6.png

Named for the several species of snakes that roam the Nevada desert. Shield shape and wordmark based off of the iconic Las Vegas sign.

Card suit symbols reflect Las Vegas' status as gambling capital of the US.

With that, we are now halfway done with the team identities. 

This by far your best one.

• Like 5

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay! I hit a roadblock in terms of inspiration but finally scraped together a solid concept. Introducing the Ottawa Grey Jays.

3zSBCOQ.png

bIRkLBN.png

cSaoR65.png

Named for the national bird of Canada, the small and subtle -yet fierce- Grey Jay. I'm not completely happy with the logo, but I tried my best to make this unfearsome bird a bit more threatening, whist still retaining its subtle nature.

Uniform stripes are supposed to evoke flight and movement, without going to over-the-top. Alternate is a throwback to the original version of the team, the Montréal Mustangs.

Made in Affinity Designer, C&C appreciated.

• Like 5

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to (Ottawa added [21/40]) International Association of American Football