NAFA Project | MIA, CHI, SA, DET updates added 1/19

PERRIN

Hey guys, thought I'd get around to posting the updates that were over on my Instagram (link in signature) but not on here. 

posting on Instagram has made me realize that coming up with team explanations for names that work without an obvious local tie-in is pretty freaking hard

(Oh yeah the images are designed specifically for Insta and they're square instead of my typical 4:3 rectangles so i'll put em in spoilers so they don't clutter up the screen)

Baltimore Warriors: Minor tweaks to spacing and thickness, new ribbony font, thinner uniform stripes.

Spoiler

Jk29dPJ.png

wT8tC6Q.png

drq6ACr.png

auD1Upo.png

Chicago Stars: Rounded the cross shape and toned down the red.

Spoiler

p0GhlFv.png

awyq3Xb.png

j5SroIm.png

ud58ops.png

Québec Lumiéres: Minor tweaks to badge, and the glowy stripes are more transparent for a more subtle shimmery effect.

Spoiler

70t5pAb.png

s6taxMS.png

YHGAJu3.png

G2ZT2yA.png

Also, I'm starting full-time dual enrollment classes next week, so I'll have more limited free time, and my posts here might become a lot more rare. I'm still committed to finishing and revising the rest of the teams, but it might be a long time before I can finish.

Thanks for sticking around. I really appreciate all the ideas and critiques that have helped me get where I am. I wouldn't be half the designer I am today if it weren't for this forum.

That's all for now.

Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

• Like 10

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

• PERRIN changed the title to (Team/Life Updates added 9/4 [38/40]) International Association of American Football
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, full-time college classes have kept me busy so I haven't had much time to design anything major, but I do have a bevy of updates for now.

(None of these are on Instagram yet so it's back to rectangular images and basic logo slicks)

Dallas Wranglers: I wasn't happy with the grey and red, so I smithed it around to Cowboys' royal blue, copper, and cowhide cream. Uniforms are more traditional, but helmet and pants have subtle gradients towards the bottom for extra flair. I went from being unhappy with Dallas to having them become one of my favorite designs.

GhyFpuB.png

ProL4sn.png

Denver Mountaineers: I haven't been happy with any logo for Denver so far, so I tried to simplify them. Colors are back to purple and grey, shield shape is taken from Colorado's state seal, and uniforms are more traditional. I'm starting to enjoy traditional uniforms a lot more. Anyway, I'm not sure how well the logo works, as it seems more like a hockey crest to me, but I couldn't figure out how to incorporate any more elements without them looking clunky and tacked on, and I love the purple and grey color scheme and the uniforms, so I don't mind.

trEOybD.png

hDSHEx4.png

Pittsburgh Hammers: Iron is a clunky team name. I switched to Hammers and did a quick crossed-hammer/hypercycloid-y logo that suits Pittsburgh well. Uniforms take cues from the Penguins' striping. Font is designed to be classic and traditional, yet bold and strong.

5vBs9Af.png

U4CKbR4.png

Las Vegas Gamblers: Uniforms are redesigned to be more traditional and less gaudy, but the colors still pop for that Vegas flair.

Dd6RlNK.png

New York Towers: Redesigned font is inspired by art-deco buildings, redesigned uniform striping now contains art-deco patterns.

sQuWnEq.png

Buffalo Polar Bears: Redesigned font to be more blocky and sturdy, uniforms striping is less generic but still traditional.

zkTseOu.png

I have made some progress towards finishing Vancouver, but it needs a few more revisions before it's ready. Once again, I still plan to finish this series. It's been a long, up-and-down ride, but this project has grown me as a person and as a designer. I don't think I'll ever completely stop working on this project, as I also want to update existing teams, but for the most part, this series is drawing near the end. 

That's all I have for now.

• Like 7

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to (Several Updates added 10/12 [38/40]) International Association of American Football

I'm not really a fan of the name Hammers either, I think alliteration would be good for Pittsburgh like the Pirates and Penguins. Patrollers and Pounders aren't the best and sound a little Arena Football-y but those are really the only jobs (due to Pittsburgh being blue collar) I could think of that sound agressive enough. Anyone up for the Pittsburgh Piano Tuners?!?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PERRIN said:

Hey guys, full-time college classes have kept me busy so I haven't had much time to design anything major, but I do have a bevy of updates for now.

(None of these are on Instagram yet so it's back to rectangular images and basic logo slicks)

Dallas Wranglers: I wasn't happy with the grey and red, so I smithed it around to Cowboys' royal blue, copper, and cowhide cream. Uniforms are more traditional, but helmet and pants have subtle gradients towards the bottom for extra flair. I went from being unhappy with Dallas to having them become one of my favorite designs.

GhyFpuB.png

ProL4sn.png

Denver Mountaineers: I haven't been happy with any logo for Denver so far, so I tried to simplify them. Colors are back to purple and grey, shield shape is taken from Colorado's state seal, and uniforms are more traditional. I'm starting to enjoy traditional uniforms a lot more. Anyway, I'm not sure how well the logo works, as it seems more like a hockey crest to me, but I couldn't figure out how to incorporate any more elements without them looking clunky and tacked on, and I love the purple and grey color scheme and the uniforms, so I don't mind.

trEOybD.png

hDSHEx4.png

Pittsburgh Hammers: Iron is a clunky team name. I switched to Hammers and did a quick crossed-hammer/hypercycloid-y logo that suits Pittsburgh well. Uniforms take cues from the Penguins' striping. Font is designed to be classic and traditional, yet bold and strong.

5vBs9Af.png

U4CKbR4.png

Las Vegas Gamblers: Uniforms are redesigned to be more traditional and less gaudy, but the colors still pop for that Vegas flair.

Dd6RlNK.png

New York Towers: Redesigned font is inspired by art-deco buildings, redesigned uniform striping now contains art-deco patterns.

sQuWnEq.png

Buffalo Polar Bears: Redesigned font to be more blocky and sturdy, uniforms striping is less generic but still traditional.

zkTseOu.png

I have made some progress towards finishing Vancouver, but it needs a few more revisions before it's ready. Once again, I still plan to finish this series. It's been a long, up-and-down ride, but this project has grown me as a person and as a designer. I don't think I'll ever completely stop working on this project, as I also want to update existing teams, but for the most part, this series is drawing near the end. 

That's all I have for now.

I feel like the polar bears would really benefit from a touch of a dark color like black/navy/forest green. Or maybe even carry some of the gray from the facemask onto the rest of the set. The light blue/white feels a bit too light as a whole.

I think Dallas would look good with a blue helmet too. The cream helmet feels somewhat... off.

Love the changes for the Hammers and Mountaineers!

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

1 hour ago, rorinator said:

I'm not really a fan of the name Hammers either, I think alliteration would be good for Pittsburgh like the Pirates and Penguins. Patrollers and Pounders aren't the best and sound a little Arena Football-y but those are really the only jobs (due to Pittsburgh being blue collar) I could think of that sound agressive enough. Anyone up for the Pittsburgh Piano Tuners?!?

I'm not completely happy with it either, but it's by far the best name I've heard or thought of so far. The only other name I sort of like is Vulcans, but it feels too weird and hard to understand. Hammers, despite its awkwardness, is immediately recognizable and understandable with more obvious ties to the city.

45 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

I feel like the polar bears would really benefit from a touch of a dark color like black/navy/forest green. Or maybe even carry some of the gray from the facemask onto the rest of the set. The light blue/white feels a bit too light as a whole.

That's kinda the whole point. Polar bears are white and live in a white environment so I wanted to go with a lighter color like powder blue paired with white. I also feel that adding another color ruins the simplicity and classic look I'm going for. This current version is a darker, more royal shade than it used to be.

46 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

I think Dallas would look good with a blue helmet too. The cream helmet feels somewhat... off.

I've tried a blue helmet, and I prefer the cream, but I will definitely admit that there is too much cream on the away combo. Here it is with blue pants, it should be less overwhelming.

20wqrAv.png

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

22 hours ago, rorinator said:

I'm liking River Rats, to celebrate the Three Rivers. That, or Clippers. They have clipper fleet of Riverboats you can ride on. Pretty darn cool, if you ask me. 

N3d5IIl.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have a dilemma.

I'm a bit unhappy with my teams in London and Mexico City. Both are obvious geographic outliers. Mexico City is a bit wacky as a team, despite my love of the color scheme and stingrays as a mascot. London just feels a bit too plain and boring to me. 

If I do switch the locations around, the cities that make the most sense geographically for my division alignment are Milwaukee and Louisville. 

So I have a decision to make. I can ditch London and Mexico for Louisville and Milwaukee or I can keep them and be unhappy with them.

I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts on this decision, and I'd love to hear suggestions for Milwaukee and Louisville if I choose to switch.

Also, I have made significant progress on Vancouver, and should have them and a few updates posted in the next few weeks. School has kept me busy this fall so my progress has slowed down a lot, but this series is certainly a priority. 

That's all for now. 

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to help me make a decision 11/5 [38(?)/40] International Association of American Football

I think that they're fine as they are, but if you're unhappy with them then the right choice is to move them. I can't really give you ideas for those cities, but whatever you do make will be good, that's for sure.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, QCS said:

I think that they're fine as they are, but if you're unhappy with them then the right choice is to move them. I can't really give you ideas for those cities, but whatever you do make will be good, that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

It's your league, do what you want. If that's relocating the teams, do it. 

I'll relocate then. Any ideas for either Milwaukee and Louisville? With you being a Kentucky fan, you would probably know what works over there.

Oh, If it turns out that nothing works, I'll keep the old concepts until I'm happy with something.

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

5 hours ago, PERRIN said:

I'll relocate then. Any ideas for either Milwaukee and Louisville? With you being a Kentucky fan, you would probably know what works over there.

Oh, If it turns out that nothing works, I'll keep the old concepts until I'm happy with something.

I've thought that "Milwaukee Schooners" was a nice name, inspired by the start of the Milwaukee Bridge War. I don't know much about Milwaukee to be honest, it's just a name that appeals to me.

Louisville is trickier, but Louisville Brawlers (or Kentucky Brawlers, if you prefer) for Muhammad Ali would be neat. I can see either a really vintage, old-style identity or a really cutting-edge, hardcore brand.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest Milwaukee Hogs or Milwaukee Iron. The first references both the Milwaukee-based Harley-Davidson, Inc. and the fact that the sport of football is played with a piece of equipment colloquially dubbed a "pigskin". The second also pays homage to Harley-Davidson's history in the city, and recognizes that American football is  contested on a field dubbed the "gridiron" by players who are "armored" in protective gear including helmets and pads.
7XBOrDZs.jpgiRKBepxs.pngTTZpBeks.jpg?1

I like Louisville Thunder or Kentucky Thunder for a franchise based in the Bluegrass State's most populous city. The name is a tip-of-the-hat to the sound of thoroughbred hooves thundering around the track and down the stretch at Churchill Downs, as well as the annual Thunder Over Louisville fireworks display and airshow.
6JOwuIBs.jpg?1dI27XA2s.jpg?1esTK7cms.png?1

• Like 1

I do like both of the suggestions made so far for Louisville, I’ve seen them both used in fictional leagues before too. Outside of the more generic Colts Racers or Stallions you could try something like Pioneers, Explorers or Foresters. Daniel Boone has a big impact on a lot of Kentucky, and has his own national park. Kentucky being the 14th state also has a lot of historical sites from the first pioneers who explored west. I've been to countless forts and trails centered around those ideas. A bit more whimsical of an idea could also be Mammoths. Inspired directly from Mammoth Cave. 

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• PERRIN changed the title to I need Milwaukee and Louisville ideas 11/5 [38(?)/40] International Association of American Football
8 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest Milwaukee Hogs or Milwaukee Iron. The first references both the Milwaukee-based Harley-Davidson, Inc. and the fact that the sport of football is played with a piece of equipment colloquially dubbed a "pigskin". The second also pays homage to Harley-Davidson's history in the city, and recognizes that American football is  contested on a field dubbed the "gridiron" by players who are "armored" in protective gear including helmets and pads.
7XBOrDZs.jpgiRKBepxs.pngTTZpBeks.jpg?1

I like Louisville Thunder or Kentucky Thunder for a franchise based in the Bluegrass State's most populous city. The name is a tip-of-the-hat to the sound of thoroughbred hooves thundering around the track and down the stretch at Churchill Downs, as well as the annual Thunder Over Louisville fireworks display and airshow.
6JOwuIBs.jpg?1dI27XA2s.jpg?1esTK7cms.png?1

Love those color schemes.

@PERRIN

Besides London and Mexico City, are there any other teams you're not happy with?

Milwaukee Barons comes to mind one playing into the motorcycle culture but also the big Germanic history of the city.

Louisville could be something like the Coopers, referencing the art of barrel making which goes into making that famous Kentucky Bourbon. 

• Like 1

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

10 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Besides London and Mexico City, are there any other teams you're not happy with?

None that aren't an update or two away from perfection. There are a handful of teams I plan to update, but I don't know when that'll get done. It was mostly the geography of Mexico City and London that I was unhappy with.

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

19 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I do like both of the suggestions made so far for Louisville, I’ve seen them both used in fictional leagues before too. Outside of the more generic Colts Racers or Stallions you could try something like Pioneers, Explorers or Foresters. Daniel Boone has a big impact on a lot of Kentucky, and has his own national park. Kentucky being the 14th state also has a lot of historical sites from the first pioneers who explored west. I've been to countless forts and trails centered around those ideas. A bit more whimsical of an idea could also be Mammoths. Inspired directly from Mammoth Cave. 

I am in agreement on Thunder. It is usually something about horses, which is fine, but Thunder has a nice sound to it (or enter any pun you choose because there are tons of them)

PersonDivided-2-1.png