NAFA Project | MIA, CHI, SA, DET updates added 1/19

PERRIN

On 9/9/2019 at 1:28 PM, Punchy_Gungus said:

Sorry for the long delay! I hit a roadblock in terms of inspiration but finally scraped together a solid concept. Introducing the Ottawa Grey Jays.

3zSBCOQ.png

bIRkLBN.png

cSaoR65.png

Named for the national bird of Canada, the small and subtle -yet fierce- Grey Jay. I'm not completely happy with the logo, but I tried my best to make this unfearsome bird a bit more threatening, whist still retaining its subtle nature.

Uniform stripes are supposed to evoke flight and movement, without going to over-the-top. Alternate is a throwback to the original version of the team, the Montréal Mustangs.

Made in Affinity Designer, C&C appreciated.

Not really feeling this. It doesn’t reflect the city of Ottawa at all. None of our sports teams are grey (most teams in this city are red and black.)

Also, the Canada Goose is the national bird.

• Like 1

That sea lion looks very familiar but I can’t find what I’m relating it to. Did you base it off another concept or use some type of inspiration? I’ll search for it a little more, if it’s not on these boards I spent a lot of time on icethetics when I was younger so maybe there. Either way, if I recall correctly, this logo from what I’m thinking of and looks great for a team in the Bay Area. The unique name also gives it some extra points. I’d happily accept this team with open arms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

That sea lion looks very familiar but I can’t find what I’m relating it to. Did you base it off another concept or use some type of inspiration? I’ll search for it a little more, if it’s not on these boards I spent a lot of time on icethetics when I was younger so maybe there. Either way, if I recall correctly, this logo from what I’m thinking of and looks great for a team in the Bay Area. The unique name also gives it some extra points. I’d happily accept this team with open arms.

spacer.png
I knew I recognized it too. It’s from this Seattle Sea Lions concept by Matthew McElroy.

https://dribbble.com/shots/1668804-Seattle-Sea-Lions

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ScotM said:

spacer.png
I knew I recognized it too. It’s from this Seattle Sea Lions concept by Matthew McElroy.

https://dribbble.com/shots/1668804-Seattle-Sea-Lions

This logo, along with Dane Storrusten's Sea Lion logo were used as references. I traced the face from this one a long time ago, I realize now I should have changed it a bit more, and should have credited @McElroy19. That one's on me. Sorry, I promise to not do this in the future.

• Like 3

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

1 hour ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

This logo, along with Dane Storrusten's Sea Lion logo were used as references. I traced the face from this one a long time ago, I realize now I should have changed it a bit more, and should have credited @McElroy19. That one's on me. Sorry, I promise to not do this in the future.

That’s the second logo (Sparky’s Kraken being the first) that you blatantly traced, without giving credit. 

2 hours ago, ScotM said:

That’s the second logo (Sparky’s Kraken being the first) that you blatantly traced, without giving credit. 

I didn't trace Sparky's logo. I still should've given credit, and apologize profusely for that, but I didn't trace it. While I did use the basic concept, I made it completely from scratch.

I am not trying to defend plagiarism in any way. I should know better than that. Once again, I promise to not do this in the future and would like to move on from this. I am sorry to Sparky and McElroy19 for using parts of their logo without credit. I initially drew parts of these logos several months before I started posting, when I didn't hold myself to a higher standard. I realize now that I shouldn't have made logos that are similar or have copied parts of other logos. If the mods want to punish me, then I am willing to take it. Sorry to everyone once again, I should hold myself to a higher standard.

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

4 hours ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

It is still Chicago's logo, though. He may as well remove the Florian cross altogether.

The Fire don’t own the Cross, he’s allowed to use it. He’s design outside of the cross is different enough from the now unused fire logo so I think it’s fine

• Like 3

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

The Fire don’t own the Cross, he’s allowed to use it. He’s design outside of the cross is different enough from the now unused fire logo so I think it’s fine

Agreed, nothing about this pulls from the now unused logo besides the cross, which is something that the fire did not create. I think the logo is spot on and would hate for a change to be forced just because an element is shared. 

• Like 1

Looks like it's time to step in here. First and foremost, the cross on the Stars logo is fine. There's only so many ways to do that particular shape and no matter what concept you use it in, the comparisons to the Fire's old logo will always be there. (Sidebar: there's no statute of limitations on plagiarizing a logo or portions of a logo in or not-in use). 

For the Kraken and Sea Lion logos, since you used portions of other's original work, I'm asking you to remove them from your thread. 

Other than that, carry on. 

• Like 4