NAFA Project | MIA, CHI, SA, DET updates added 1/19

PERRIN

Guest darkpiranha

Have you seen the new Iceland national team identity?  It's brilliant.  It incorporates four different elements into a single identity (bull, giant, dragon, eagle).  But it uses them in individual ways, so in effect, there's four identities for the price of one.  If you're more of a dragon person, you can focus on just the dragon merch.  I'm sure at some games they will have "Giant Night" where everyone wears their giant merch.  Etc.  Super cool.  I've been dreaming some team does this for a long time.

Why I'm bringing it up here is that I think your Vegas identity could really lean into something like this.  You already have four distinct symbols, (heart, spade, diamond, club) that can be broken down into a stand-alone version of the logo.  Maybe the red symbols are the away logos and the black are the home.  Plus, there's the face card identities that could be used in conjunction with each one.  Maybe King of Spades is reserved for Saturday nights.  Ace of Hearts is reserved for rivalry games against a specific team.  Clubs are reserved for divisional games.  I think something like this would be super fun and allow for almost a Harry Potter-like "House" identification.   (Note, I'm not telling you to do this. I'm just typing this out so that it exists in the world, and your Vegas logo inspired me to do it now.)

20 hours ago, Sebastianm said:

Hey, have been following this series for forever, but please change the Oaks name to the Buckeyes, that is the state tree, just a request to represent the state better.

I did originally intend for them to be called the buckeyes, but I had trouble making a good buckeye mark. I may revisit it again, but I'll stick with Oaks for now.

16 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Have you seen the new Iceland national team identity?  It's brilliant.  It incorporates four different elements into a single identity (bull, giant, dragon, eagle).  But it uses them in individual ways, so in effect, there's four identities for the price of one.  If you're more of a dragon person, you can focus on just the dragon merch.  I'm sure at some games they will have "Giant Night" where everyone wears their giant merch.  Etc.  Super cool.  I've been dreaming some team does this for a long time.

Why I'm bringing it up here is that I think your Vegas identity could really lean into something like this.  You already have four distinct symbols, (heart, spade, diamond, club) that can be broken down into a stand-alone version of the logo.  Maybe the red symbols are the away logos and the black are the home.  Plus, there's the face card identities that could be used in conjunction with each one.  Maybe King of Spades is reserved for Saturday nights.  Ace of Hearts is reserved for rivalry games against a specific team.  Clubs are reserved for divisional games.  I think something like this would be super fun and allow for almost a Harry Potter-like "House" identification.   (Note, I'm not telling you to do this. I'm just typing this out so that it exists in the world, and your Vegas logo inspired me to do it now.)

That's a top-notch idea you've got there, but I'm happy with the way Vegas looks. I spent a lot of time cycling through nicknames and imagery before deciding on this look, and I really like how it turned out. I'd love to see a Vegas concept with the look you're describing.

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

20 minutes ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

I did originally intend for them to be called the buckeyes, but I had trouble making a good buckeye mark. I may revisit it again, but I'll stick with Oaks for now.

That's a top-notch idea you've got there, but I'm happy with the way Vegas looks. I spent a lot of time cycling through nicknames and imagery before deciding on this look, and I really like how it turned out. I'd love to see a Vegas concept with the look you're describing.

Take your time, I’m not rushing you, just a suggestion.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sebastianm said:

If I am not mistaken, you have Nashville and Vancouver to reveal, with Dallas and Kansas City needing updates, not trying to rush you here, but when do you think you can upload concepts next?

I can't be sure, as Vancouver, KC, and Nashville aren't anywhere close to being done. Dallas was only a minor tweak that will get posted in the next round of concepts. I'm glad you're looking forward to my designs!

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

2 hours ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

I can't be sure, as Vancouver, KC, and Nashville aren't anywhere close to being done. Dallas was only a minor tweak that will get posted in the next round of concepts. I'm glad you're looking forward to my designs!

Always have! PM me the designs please, I can look at them and give you critique to help you finish with the perfect design.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Nashville and a bunch of updates.

Nashville Rhythm: This one took too many revisions and failed ideas to count, but I'm finally happy with it. I wanted something classy and fun, so I leaned on an amazing script font by BombasType. I prioritized a trumpet but kept six thin stripes to reflect guitar strings. The uniforms have simpler stripes and the script wordmark on the helmets. The guitar string stripes arch over the shoulders.

zYkBjxK.png

ItcvPWp.png

San Diego Admirals: Name switched from captains to admirals. Added a stencil font, an SD monogram, and a nautical compass to the badge. Uniforms are updated accordingly.

G27GjVv.png

VwrNa8o.png

Cincinnati Shamrocks: Widened the block C and created a badge around it. Uniforms have updated striping.

zhw6Z2o.png

aeal6tx.png

London Knights: Redesigned the shield and swords, updated the crown, and redesigned the font. Uniforms are more traditional and consistent.

gsZtDwS.png

HacnSP1.png

New Orleans Corsairs: Promoted the crossed swords/fleur-de-lis mark to the primary and redesigned the uniforms to have a more mardi-gras and piratey vibe.

qByvL67.png

EKuHOAp.png

Dallas Outlaws: Tweaked the hat to look more like a cowboy hat.

Sp6nozt.png

That's all I have for now, only Kansas City and Vancouver left.

Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

• Like 13

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to (NSH team, Various Updates added [38/40]) International Association of American Football

I think you really knocked it out of the park on all of these. Nashville is stunning and the updates to SD and London are fantastic. Cincinnati and New Orleans look great to. I do have one idea with the Shamrocks though, I think the C-Clover logo can break out of that roundel to become the helmet logo by itself. Similar to Chicago having just the C on their helmet. 

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I think the C-Clover logo can break out of that roundel to become the helmet logo by itself. Similar to Chicago having just the C on their helmet. 

Honestly not sure why I didn't do that. It works so much better. Thanks for the suggestion!

ohZ0Pvl.png

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

Guest darkpiranha
5 hours ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

Honestly not sure why I didn't do that. It works so much better. Thanks for the suggestion!

ohZ0Pvl.png

These are all amazing.  Only thing I'd explore is doing the same thing for San Diego's helmet for the same reasons you changed the Shamrocks.  When San Diego's logo shrunk and placed on a helmet, the full logo gets a bit lost.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress on Vancouver and KC has stalled, but I've still been working away. I've made another new uniform template and a more efficient logo slick, and I've been going back through all the teams and updating them as needed. So here are a few updates, some big, some small, all much better in my book.

Houston Voyagers: Probably the final update. Swapped out the block font for a NASA inspired font, utilized white for a bit more pop, and updated the uniforms.

DB83Ios.png

UG2CNeR.png

Indiana Checkers: Changed the name from Indianapolis to Indiana, as I felt like it represented the state as a whole more than just Indianapolis. The grey is slightly lighter, the logo is no longer skewed upward, The I is a more standard block, the state outline has been cleaned up, and the flames are more defined. I really like the more subtle checker pattern, so I'm keeping the grey how it is. I find any lighter shade to be too garish for what I'm going for.

DyLduEI.png

oLOd3Ds.png

Philadelphia Cannons: Redesigned the cannons, updated the badge, added a liberty bell secondary logo, and added some collar striping.

rzkI34W.png

iIbssgl.png

Toronto Lakers: Updated the rope pattern and anchor, and made the subtle CN tower more accurate to the real building. Moved the rope striping from the shoulders to the collar, and the shoulders are now capped with maple leaves.

r0mPiIb.png

1BJ1cIZ.png

Also, I'm watermarking my work from here on out. I found some random fictional league wiki that used some of my logos without credit so I'm going to be a bit more cautious from now on. That's all I have for now.

Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

• Like 10

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to (More Updates added [38/40]) International Association of American Football

I really love all of your work. The Indiana set is gorgeous from top to bottom, and I love the logos for Houston, probably my favorite logo set in this whole series. Toronto is also lovely, I don't love the number font on the jerseys, but that's minor. I love the Philly logos, especially the 3rd, but I feel like the home has a bit too much white in it and not enough green. Overall though, outstanding work on everything.

An aside, how is it working w. Affinity Designer?

14 hours ago, BobsonDugnutt said:

I really love all of your work. The Indiana set is gorgeous from top to bottom, and I love the logos for Houston, probably my favorite logo set in this whole series. Toronto is also lovely, I don't love the number font on the jerseys, but that's minor. I love the Philly logos, especially the 3rd, but I feel like the home has a bit too much white in it and not enough green. Overall though, outstanding work on everything.

An aside, how is it working w. Affinity Designer?

Thanks for the feedback. Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you like my work so much. For Philly I tried using green a bit more sparingly because it sticks out, while still using enough that it's immediately noticeable.

Affinity is amazing for designing logos. I've been using it for about 2 years and I find way easier to learn and master than illustrator. It is missing a few features that would be helpful like making brushes easier to use or a precise warping tool, and importing files is a bit finicky, but it's still a top-notch program. I'd highly recommend it if you're interested in designing, but it's a professional-grade program, so it may be too complex for beginner designers.

lBzmcSM.png

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, CLEFAN94 said:

I really hate to be the one to bump this thread out of nowhere, but i was enjoying it and don’t want to see it die, especially so close to being finished. 

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Progress on the remaining teams has faltered, but I'm still working on this series, updating teams as I go along and posting some teams on Instagram. I'm still set on finishing this series, but between my lack of progress and school coming up in a few weeks, it may be a while before the series is finished. 

[Also, I've got a design Instagram. Link in my signature. A few of my better looking teams are up there, along with a few updates I haven't posted yet.]

• Like 3

lBzmcSM.png

4 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Progress on the remaining teams has faltered, but I'm still working on this series, updating teams as I go along and posting some teams on Instagram. I'm still set on finishing this series, but between my lack of progress and school coming up in a few weeks, it may be a while before the series is finished. 

[Also, I've got a design Instagram. Link in my signature. A few of my better looking teams are up there, along with a few updates I haven't posted yet.]

I’ll definitely check it out! And I totally understand about life getting busy, I just wanted to make sure it hadn’t disappeared 🙂

• Like 2