NAFA Project | MIA, CHI, SA, DET updates added 1/19

PERRIN

42 minutes ago, QCS said:

something I've noticed about your concepts: the helmet logos are almost always super complex and a little too detailed to work well as helmets. If you look at NFL teams, they use a "less is more" mentality with helmets and I think that could be applied here.

That's something I've struggled with. A lot of my logos try to use multiple elements at once so shrinking them down is difficult sometimes. I've tried to make an effort to simplify some of my logos but most of the teams don't look right to me with simpler logos. 

change the maple leaf on the whites to blue for contrast, and if at all possible, find a way to avoid the patches interfering with the striping.

19 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I'd swap the leaf on the shoulders for numbers and you need to add the shoulder striping to the back of the home uniform.

I'll think about it. I went with the silver leaves for better color balance, but I can see contrast being an issue. I went back and forth between keeping numbers over the leaves, but something about the leaves felt perfect for a Canadian team with a 60s/70s aesthetic. The missing shoulder stripes I didn't even notice. Thanks for pointing that out.

the shoulders feel crowded with the full logo and the Nike logo there (and the Nike logo should be purple on the white) and I'm not really feeling the wordmark font, especially with the new logo. I also like Flyers as a name more than Aviators, but that's just personal preference.

[I'd drop] the helmet stripe for Charlotte.

Another thing I had trouble with. I much prefer the Nike logo on the shoulders to anywhere else, and I really wanted to incorporate the full logo somehow. I might just shrink it down and call it a day. As for the wordmark, I made that font a loooong time ago and I too am not completely happy with it. I might rework it in the future.  For the name, I just preferred how aviations sounds. Something about the name and the traditional look works really well to me. I'll consider dropping the helmet stripe, though I'm usually not a fan of strapless helmets, wings or no.

Dallas is really good, my only complaint is the beveling on the star, which is really only visible on the sleeve and doesn't seem to match anything else in the set. The wordmark is also kinda large. Atlanta is also really good, I'd just tweak the size of the wordmark.

I agree with QCS though that each of their word marks are a bit big. 

The star is supposed to reflect the star on the bandanna of the logo, but you are definitely right that is doesn't match. I'll keep that in mind. As for the wordmarks, I'll be shrinking them down a peg or two. I'm not a fan of how small wordmarks usually are in football so the large size is mainly due to personal choice, but I definitely tend to go overboard on some teams.

Anyways, thanks for the comments. You two always seem to have something constructive to say. 😄

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

8 hours ago, Bruhammydude said:

Do you ever plan on making alternate uniforms?

The way I see it panning out, each team gets one alternate, throwback or otherwise. A handful of teams already have alternates, but the newer ones I other don't have a strong enough idea or work just fine without one. Usually alternates are just the same base jersey with a secondary color, but many of the color schemes don't really fit that idea, and making throwbacks for teams that don't really have any organized history feels a bit weird. I do plan to add some eventually, but it'll be a while before I get there for every team.

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

23 hours ago, PERRIN said:

First, A new team, the Milwaukee Barons. I was inspired by an array of ideas, namely references to Milwaukee's industrial history, German/Bavarian heritage, and brewing industry. Combined together, the full logo resembles a soccer crest more than a football logo, but I honestly don't mind a bit. Uniforms use brick styling on the cream helmet, with blackletter fonts used throughout.

*chef's kiss* Byootiful

My only criticism is that I don't think Milwaukee needs another brick texture shoehorned in; I think the existence of the cream itself suffices.  Also, I feel like the wordmark on the uniform needs to be capitalized like the main logo.

• Like 2

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Apart from seconding only using the shield on the helmet, I can't think of a single thing I'd change for Milwaukee. The full gear would be great at midfield though. I can't believe how well those colors work together. I'm all for the brick pattern if only because of how often I've learned that non-locals think Cream City is a reference to dairy. In reality, Milwaukee's only real connection to the dairy industry is being where a lot of dairy products go to be consumed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've cooked up another quick batch of updates. Many of these were close to done when I posted two weeks ago, so it wasn't too difficult to get these out so quick. Though I wouldn't expect another update for a good while. Anyways, here's what I got.

Cleveland Buckeyes: Name changes over from Oaks, as Buckeyes are a much more familiar sight in Ohio. New package uses a roundel and a Buckeye leaf throughout, and uniforms are mostly the same. The shades of green and gold have been updates as well.

N3pSUhr.png

8zweHo1.png

Los Angeles Suns: Another quick name change. The Waves moniker just wasn't doing it for me, and the color scheme and uniform left me unhappy, so I went with a complete overhaul. Color scheme changes to turquoise and gold, with two alternating shades of gold reflecting the LA sunrise/sunset. Font comes in inline and bold variations for readability at small sizes.

Tpphi6g.png

yUt5lfj.png

Ottawa Gray Jays: Shade of light gray is now much lighter, allowing for the uniforms to look less muddy while still retaining the Gray Jay's real-life color scheme. Uniforms are updated with a sleek collar design and modified cuff details. Font is updated as well.

YjhW65S.png

tc7ZZMM.png

San Diego Admirals: Logo is redesigned, with a greater emphasis on a new, sleeker SD monogram. Badge utilizes chevrons and naval rank motifs. The laurel motif is now much more polished and balanced. Font is redesigned to be wider, and uniforms are updated.

7RYxMWv.png

soHkYMu.png

That's all I have for now. With midterms later this week and spring break next week, I may or may not be working on this project more. I honestly don't know. 

Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

• Like 8

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to CLE, LA, OTT, SD updates added 3/9 [38(?)/40] IAAF Project

I like what we've got here! Cleveland's name and scheme are nice, the whole team looks very classic. My only gripe is it feels like the number font isn't blocky enough, especially in comparison to the wordmark on the logo.

I like the updates to LA as well, but I've got two suggestions here: first, take that awesome sleeve striping and try and it make work on the pants as the striping is too disjointed at the moment, and second, take off the LA on the helmet.

Ottawa's jerseys are very nice, the striping is awesome and the wings work super well on the helmet. However, the logo feels a little flat, especially around the face. It's not aggressive, which is an odd choice for football but might work if the details were more defined.

I love the little swirl at the top of the Admirals' logo, for whatever reason it's such a nice touch to me. No notes here, a great-looking set! The only problem might be that the two SoCal teams are blue/teal and gold/orange, though the differences are significant enough that it might be ok.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 3/9/2021 at 9:43 PM, QCS said:

it feels like the number font isn't blocky enough, especially in comparison to the wordmark on the logo.

That's a fair point. I wanted to include the classic champion 7 but it kinda clashes with the rest of the number font. I wanted something bold and classic, kinda like Michigan's font but with more angles. I might change the 7 if it bothers me in the future, but I'm happy with how the font looks right now.

RNtO8NL.png

I like the updates to LA as well, but I've got two suggestions here: first, take that awesome sleeve striping and try and it make work on the pants as the striping is too disjointed at the moment, and second, take off the LA on the helmet.

I fiddled a bit more with the striping and tried to simplify it down to two patterns total, but I much prefer the sunrise striping on the jersey on socks than the pants. It works ok when vertical, but I felt that it made the pattern feel overused. I also changed up the helmet to set LA apart from San Diego a bit more. White helmets for both of them didn't sit right with me. As for the LA monogram on the helmet, I'm not sure if I agree. The sun on its own, especially now on the teal helmet, isn't enough. On the white helmet, maybe.

aZHbBou.png

[Ottawa's] logo feels a little flat, especially around the face. It's not aggressive, which is an odd choice for football but might work if the details were more defined.

I feel that way too, but I'm unsure what to do about it. I like the idea of keeping the logo unaggressive and simple, as real-life Gray Jays are adorable and don't have much detail to them, but the logo does need some work. I plan to rework it in the future.

I love the little swirl at the top of the Admirals' logo, for whatever reason it's such a nice touch to me.

I'm glad you noticed it! I wasn't exactly sure what it's called so I wasn't sure how to address it, but that loop element is common on higher-ranking officers in the Royal Navy. Though not as common in the US, I liked I enough to use it for San Diego, and it fits rather well.

Thanks again for the C&C. You also seem to have something helpful to say and you've got some good ideas!

• Like 4

lBzmcSM.png

14 hours ago, PERRIN said:

That's a fair point. I wanted to include the classic champion 7 but it kinda clashes with the rest of the number font. I wanted something bold and classic, kinda like Michigan's font but with more angles. I might change the 7 if it bothers me in the future, but I'm happy with how the font looks right now.

RNtO8NL.png

Having done a lot of recreations of vintage NFL number fonts, I think this is definitely on point.  If I were to make it though, the 4 would be like the 1960's Colts with an angle on the horizontal and the 5's notch would be angled like the Packers.  But, you do have a lot of right angles in the wordmark, so in this scenario, the only change I'd make is making the small notch on the 4's horizontal into a right angle like Michigan.  Also, the perfectionist in me wants either the counters of 3, 6, and 9 to be the same as 8's counters, or 8's counters to be the same as 3's counters.

58271b_med.jpegScreen-Shot-2020-11-13-at-12.39.43-PM.pn

• Like 4

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

These updates have been fantastic. Seems like each time you go back and change something it’s an improvement and that’s not always the case in logo design. LA looks how it should finally. You crushed it.

I do hope that when this is all said and done you put all the finalized identities in one image. I’d love to see the logos/uniforms side by side and get a real feel for this league aesthetically.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JLJ said:

These updates have been fantastic. Seems like each time you go back and change something it’s an improvement and that’s not always the case in logo design. LA looks how it should finally. You crushed it.

I do hope that when this is all said and done you put all the finalized identities in one image. I’d love to see the logos/uniforms side by side and get a real feel for this league aesthetically.

I'd echo all of this. This series has been a treat to witness and I've enjoyed seeing your designs develop and improve. I would love to see the league as a whole when it's all said and done.

I'd also like to thank you for showing what's possible with Affinity Designer. It's what led me to the program and got me started with my designs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JLJ said:

These updates have been fantastic. Seems like each time you go back and change something it’s an improvement and that’s not always the case in logo design. LA looks how it should finally. You crushed it. I do hope that when this is all said and done you put all the finalized identities in one image. I’d love to see the logos/uniforms side by side and get a real feel for this league aesthetically.

8 hours ago, Megildur said:

I'd echo all of this. This series has been a treat to witness and I've enjoyed seeing your designs develop and improve. I would love to see the league as a whole when it's all said and done. I'd also like to thank you for showing what's possible with Affinity Designer. It's what led me to the program and got me started with my designs.

I appreciate the kind words. It's nice to know that my work is enjoyed by others so much, and especially cool to know that I'm an inspiration to someone. A full look at the league as a whole is definitely in the works, though I'd like to get through all 40 teams before starting on it. I'd love to go for a full presentation-style guide of the league, though that may be a bit out of reach with my current skillset. I'm not nearly as good with presentation/background designs as I am with logos. 😅

• Like 4

lBzmcSM.png

3 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Is there a backstory of when the league expanded and some teams relocated?

Nope. I've never given it much thought. When this league first started as bad sketches in a notebook almost a decade ago, it was just teams and fictional players. I've thought about adding history, but it feels a bit too tedious keeping everything orderly to me. I imagine this league starting in the late 60s with a few teams in the northeast, before gradually expanding south and westward over the course of the next few decades like most leagues did. It would be great to add history to make the league that much more realistic, but idk if that'll happen or not in the future.

lBzmcSM.png

• 2 weeks later...

Gee man.... I haven't been i here for a long while, and as I just came back in and saw all those designs. These are too 🔥 good! I love every detail of all teams you have done! Keep up the amazing works!

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

• 3 weeks later...