NAFA Project | MIA, CHI, SA, DET updates added 1/19

PERRIN

16 hours ago, JH42XCC said:

So what happens to the London and Mexico City teams?

They've been ditched. I was never particularly pleased with London's branding, and as much as I liked Mexico City's vibe, it was overshadowed to me by the unoriginal logo concept and the boring typeface, plus the geography of having teams so far away from the rest of the league just felt wrong to me. Perhaps one day I'll revisit them as their own teams outside of the rest of the project, but for now I don't plan to do anything with them going forward.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

• 4 weeks later...

Whipped up another batch of updates.

Houston Voyagers

The Voyagers get a fully reworked logo and uniform package, inspired by NASA's mission patches. Uniforms are stripped down and simplified, relying on an alternate patch logo and the bold color scheme to drive the uniform set. Wordmark and number font are tweaked to reflect the NASA 'worm' typeface more closely.

fXLQqWj.png

9XSZuGB.png

Minnesota Evergreens

The Evergreens revert back to the green red and cream color scheme, with a blockier logo and typeface taking center stage. The uniforms return to the older striped set, though this time with a white away jersey and modified plaid patterns in the striping. The new, darker cream shade works a bit better with a white jersey in my book compared to previous versions.

i6fCJbl.png

QjDJT2h.png

Detroit Mechanics

The Mechanics get a revamped logo and uniform set, focusing more heavily on chrome tones and a brighter red. Uniforms are modified to feel more classic, and a new inlined font takes center stage.

4d1b8uQ.png

GkOnBLC.png

That's all I have for now.  I have plans to continue updating some teams I haven't given much attention recently like San Antonio and Québec. I still plan on finishing this series as best as I can.

Made in Affinity Designer. C&C appreciated.

• Like 10

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to HOU, MIN, DET updated 10/3 ~ NAFA Project
  • 4 weeks later...

Again, I was kinda hoping to hear some more feedback on the last few posts, but whatever.

Here's another batch of updates. I'm still slowly getting around to making sure I'm happy with every team, but some teams are a lot harder than others. Some teams are a ways away from being posted, but I'm close to ready on a bunch of teams. For now, here's a couple of updates.

Arizona Thunderbirds

The Thunderbirds get an updated logo and wordmark, with a greater emphasis on lightning imagery.  Uniforms updated to match.

hjsayNY.png

vfdXPmc.png

Milwaukee Barons

The Barons get a simplified crest, tweaked colors, a new wordmark logo, and updated uniforms. 

R2HX2po.png

ZafCztf.png

Seattle Emeralds

The Emeralds get a tweaked logo, which is now more consistent and more accurate to the real space needle.

rKLpfgh.png

Lastly, Portland.

I'm not quite sold on a name for Portland just yet. I've made a rose-themed logo and shield, so the team will definitely be rose themed, but I'm unsure what to call the team right now. The names I've thought of include Rosebuds, Roses, Thorns, and Rose City GFC (Gridiron Football Club). I feel like all of the names have obvious downsides: Roses is a tad generic, Rosebuds and Thorns are already used by real teams, and Rose City GFC doesn't jive with the football aesthetic. I'd love to hear some ideas for the name, or at least an argument for the above names. Regardless, Portland will be rose-themed and revolve around this identity:

WoZDX6V.png

As per usual, I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts on the updates, especially regarding Portland. 

That's all for now.

• Like 7

lBzmcSM.png

• PERRIN changed the title to NAFA Project ~ ARZ, MKE, SEA, PDX updated 10/29
4 minutes ago, mrcubfan415 said:

Maybe Pioneers? (referencing the Oregon Trail)

I mentioned multiple times that I'm going with the rose theme. I like the logo I've come up with too much to look elsewhere for inspiration.

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

1 hour ago, PERRIN said:

Again, I was kinda hoping to hear some more feedback on the last few posts, but whatever.

Here's another batch of updates. I'm still slowly getting around to making sure I'm happy with every team, but some teams are a lot harder than others. Some teams are a ways away from being posted, but I'm close to ready on a bunch of teams. For now, here's a couple of updates.

Arizona Thunderbirds

The Thunderbirds get an updated logo and wordmark, with a greater emphasis on lightning imagery.  Uniforms updated to match.

hjsayNY.png

vfdXPmc.png

Milwaukee Barons

The Barons get a simplified crest, tweaked colors, a new wordmark logo, and updated uniforms. 

R2HX2po.png

ZafCztf.png

Seattle Emeralds

The Emeralds get a tweaked logo, which is now more consistent and more accurate to the real space needle.

rKLpfgh.png

Lastly, Portland.

I'm not quite sold on a name for Portland just yet. I've made a rose-themed logo and shield, so the team will definitely be rose themed, but I'm unsure what to call the team right now. The names I've thought of include Rosebuds, Roses, Thorns, and Rose City GFC (Gridiron Football Club). I feel like all of the names have obvious downsides: Roses is a tad generic, Rosebuds and Thorns are already used by real teams, and Rose City GFC doesn't jive with the football aesthetic. I'd love to hear some ideas for the name, or at least an argument for the above names. Regardless, Portland will be rose-themed and revolve around this identity:

WoZDX6V.png

As per usual, I'd love to hear y'all's thoughts on the updates, especially regarding Portland. 

That's all for now.

Maybe Reds? A reference to the iconic color they stereotypically come in?  May not work with a maroon/pink color scheme.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

ARZ - Great update! Everything is more "thunder-y" while still getting that inspiration across.

MKE - Not really feeling either the wheat or the font on the logo. The blackletter still looks great, but the modern font doesn't match anything else and I think it's out of place here. The wheat is also highly detailed and doesn't really match the rest of the set. I'm not vibing with the uniforms here either, for whatever reason the color balance looks off. Can't explain why, just is to me.

SEA - Looks good, more accurate.

POR - Yeah, I'm sorry, this is a non-starter for me. I don't really like anything here. The block font you've made is decent, as is the script, but the logos and colors are nowhere close to working for me. The rose + flag is too complex in my opinion, I'd pick one of the two to go with. The gradient is a big no-go, I don't think it adds anything here and I'd rather you just pick one shade of rose gold and match it with a better color than maroon. Not a fan of this one, sadly.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I really like the direction Portland is going in. I personally don't like the name options, so here are a couple that come to mind;

Portland Petals - I'm not sure if this is an actual team name, but it seems obvious. Down side? It is a little soft for football.

Portland Pruners - Not specifically related to roses, but neither is a petal. This one involves a sharp object so it must be manly, right? Like... this explanation from Google sounds hardcore; "The primary purpose of pruners is to remove dead, diseased, or damaged stems and branches from plants and bushes". 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since I've had a good handful of teams that have been nothing but trouble to develop identities for, I'm very strongly considering getting rid of a few teams and switching to a 36-team, 6-divisions of 6 league format. Between geographic convenience and teams that just aren't working for me, the cities I'd get rid of are Buffalo, Portland, Kansas City, and Louisville. I feel a bit icky about making big changes to the league like this when I'm already years deep into the project, but it is what it is. I feel like a 36 team format would be a bit more realistic in terms of how playoff structure and scheduling works, and 36 teams isn't all that unrealistic for any other league. 40 seems to be pushing it. I'm not entirely happy that the new division alignment gets rid of the north/south conference format, as I impressed myself a little getting that alignment to work, but I'd rather get rid of 4 teams than eliminate 8 just for the sake of keeping the alignment the same. Anyways, here's what the league looks like with the new format, along with an updated team list.

gJKoPB2.png

PyMVUXm.png

I'd love to see y'all's thoughts on the realignment, and any recommendations for the teams I intend to update.

• Like 6

lBzmcSM.png

I'm ok with these changes, my only thing is that I'd keep Louisville and maybe Kansas City too, as it would kinda help expanding the teams and keep them a little more spread out imo. I guess kinda keeping some states from having a lot of teams,  but that's just me, I've been following this project for a while and I gotta say I'm very impressed with ur work. Keep it up Perrin ur doing great

• Like 1