Little Things that Bug You in Sports Uniforms

3 hours ago, Sport said:

The Panthers pants stripe pants bug me.

How it's supposed to look. 

USATSI_9574173.jpg

How it looks now

usa_today_16636316.jpg

Why'd they start cutting off the point like that? 

I'd think it has to do with the fact that players essentially wear shorts now. Doesn't mean they can update the stripe though.

6 hours ago, Sport said:

USATSI_9574173.jpg

How it looks now

usa_today_16636316.jpg

Something with how the old stripe didn’t allow for the proper stretch, that’s also why they removed the hip logo (look how scrunched the stripe gets right around the logo)

7 hours ago, floydnimrod said:

I'd think it has to do with the fact that players essentially wear shorts now. Doesn't mean they can update the stripe though.

Maybe, but Cam Newton is wearing the same Nike manufactured pants as Darnold. I think its more a matter of consistency between whatever pair the player is wearing, like we see with jersey sleeves.

12 hours ago, dont care said:

Something with how the old stripe didn’t allow for the proper stretch, that’s also why they removed the hip logo (look how scrunched the stripe gets right around the logo)

That doesn't explain why the new Nike pants have to cut off the end of the stripe. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

39 minutes ago, Sport said:

That doesn't explain why the new Nike pants have to cut off the end of the stripe. 

They had to alter the stripe to make them stretch the right way. Which is what the first part of my post was. The part about the logo just dealt with why that too was removed.

31 minutes ago, dont care said:

They had to alter the stripe to make them stretch the right way. Which is what the first part of my post was. The part about the logo just dealt with why that too was removed.

I refuse to believe the only option to "make them stretch the right way" was to cut off the end. Nike doesn't seem to have any problems with with making other non-standard stripes "stretch the right way". 

USATSI_16836479.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

The only explanation is that's how the Panthers want the stripe to look now, which is lame and why it's a little thing that bugs me.

PvO6ZWJ.png

23 hours ago, Sport said:

USATSI_9574173.jpg

How it looks now

usa_today_16636316.jpg

I'm glad someone else noticed this. I think it had to do with a template change. As you see in the top picture, the sleeve stripe is farther down on the shoulder, giving room for larger TV numbers. On the bottom picture, the moved the stripe up to the armpit, shrinking the TV numbers and rendering them nearly useless. Now the Panthers jersey is just cluttered at the top. 

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 1:26 PM, Sport said:

USATSI_9574173.jpg

How it looks now

usa_today_16636316.jpg

Never mind that - why is the outline so much thinner now? I've been thinking for a while now that something was slightly "off" about Carolina's uniforms lately, and this might be why.

• Like 5

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I'm glad someone else noticed this. I think it had to do with a template change. As you see in the top picture, the sleeve stripe is farther down on the shoulder, giving room for larger TV numbers. On the bottom picture, the moved the stripe up to the armpit, shrinking the TV numbers and rendering them nearly useless. Now the Panthers jersey is just cluttered at the top. 

They were one of the few teams who didn't adopt the new Nike templates when Nike first took on the league contract, which I want to say was 2012. And they held onto their old supplier with the old cut and the dazzle fabrics for a while. I guess I want to know when that change happened. I admit I haven't been paying that close attention to the Carolina Panthers.  

Their tiny TV numbers are literally a little thing that bugs me in sports. They're comically small now and if I was the Panthers I'd just drop them altogether now that TV numbers are no longer required. I'd also replace the Panther head logo with a full body panther logo because the logo on the helmet and sleeve is redundant. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

I've always preferred replacing the logo with TV numbers, especially since we don't have a full-body panther logo and if we did it wouldn't look good. Keeping the logo would look too much like the Pats in my book.

• Like 5

the user formerly known as cdclt

Up through maybe the mid-aughts, I was a big fan of logos on sleeves, particularly if the logo didn't match the helmet (Vikings, Eagles). But given the lack of real estate in that part of the jersey now, I definitely favor TV numbers over logos. Lack of TV numbers looks a bit minor-league to me. Logos are nice, but not necessary for an NFL-caliber jersey.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 10/6/2021 at 11:26 AM, Sport said:

USATSI_9574173.jpg

How it looks now

usa_today_16636316.jpg

While I don't really have an opinion on the pant stripes themselves, it always bugs me when uniform elements are sublimated -- like the latter image -- instead of stitched like the first image.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know that I'd call this a little thing, but it's definitely been aggravating me lately...

Derrick Henry has been doing it for a while, but in the past year or two lately increasing number of Snatit Titans players have been electing to go with red accessories with their uniforms...and it just looks so out of place...

1285850502-850x560.jpeg

ap_5f1e45d250b24e7aa5396bf5a8d9ce1c-1.jp

15178031-850x560.jpeg

Titans-2021-draft-needs-scaled.jpg

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, tBBP said:

I don't know that I'd call this a little thing, but it's definitely been aggravating me lately...

Derrick Henry has been doing it for a while, but in the past year or two lately increasing number of Snatit Titans players have been electing to go with red accessories with their uniforms...and it just looks so out of place...

1285850502-850x560.jpeg

ap_5f1e45d250b24e7aa5396bf5a8d9ce1c-1.jp

15178031-850x560.jpeg

Titans-2021-draft-needs-scaled.jpg

I like the red accessories. It adds some much needed color to an extremely drab uniform, especially the navy ones.

• Like 4

I don’t watch much AL baseball, so I just noticed this the other night:

spacer.png

The Piping doesn’t match and it looks Busch league. Either spring for a second pair of white pants with blue piping to pair with the orange tops or, better yet, just wear your white jerseys that match the pants.

• Like 2