Little Things that Bug You in Sports Uniforms

On 6/8/2019 at 1:21 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

Nope. That kills the uniform for me. I really like the chevron design, and I think they should make it their primary design (with, you know, the TEAM AND CITY NAME AND NOT A VAGUE IDENTIFIER), but the shorts chevron is just awful. Since it would look terrible on both sides of the shorts, just remove it and have the claw logo on both sides. The chevron on the front is bold enough that you don’t need anything else.

This times 100.

As a Torontonian I despise the Raptors branding now. They went from being a Toronto team with an distinct identity (like or it or hate it) to the blandest, most generic red/black ooooh aren't we Canadian. "The North." It's a stupid ass name for one of the southernmost cities in all of Canada.

I won't touch a piece of that merchandise and treasure all my pre- :censored:ty redesign Raptors gear. 

Truth is they have tried to drop the 'Toronto' brand like a hot potato because the concept of 'Toronto' is straight up toxic once you drive outside the 416/905 area code. Since the Raps are the only NBA team left in Canada they have to flog the hell out of the Canadian brand, to gain traction outside the Toronto area, which pisses me off to all hell because when they (or the leafs, or whoever from Toronto) are losing, everyone gets to :censored: on Toronto.  When they win, however, they're "Oooh wooo Canada's team." 

It doesn't help the majority shareholders in MLSE (raptors/leafs owners) are Rogers and Bell, both huge broadcasters for whom viewership and media rights are the priority. So branding the Raptors to be as bland and cross-Canada palatable is in their best interest rather than anything to do with the local fans who, again, like the Leafs will pack the arenas regardless. 

I really hate the genericness, the blandness, the total unwillingness to embrace even the slightest hint of local identity in the recent re-brands. Every distinctive colour and trademark has slipped away.  

Sorry, for the grump, just a bitter Toronto fan here sick of watching a team flush a local identity down the toilet for the sake of national branding. 

Edited by DoctorOfGravity
misspell
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, eastfirst107 said:

The Reds' front chest logo and front uni number almost but don't quite line up:

usa_today_10814899.0.jpg
joeyvotto02.jpg

They used to, BTW...

0003254_pete-rose-of-the-reds.jpeg

Way to go you ruined it for me 🙄

• Like 7

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

It used to bug me how the 2 color jerseys had phantom yokes but the road white had the new square cut.

The size of the arm stripes of the home and road were mismatched. The greens had bigger ones.

Wild09.png

Fortunately, the new ones corrected those issues. Different home and roads could work together, but it depends what the difference is.

• Like 3

spacer.png

I watch a lot of CFL so this bugs me every time about the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The W on the helmet is less compact and more spread out than the W on the shoulders. A minor detail but when you’ve got both in close proximity like that you probably want some consistency.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Way to go you ruined it for me 🙄

Me too.  I can't unsee it.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 6/18/2019 at 10:59 PM, eastfirst107 said:

The Reds' front chest logo and front uni number almost but don't quite line up:

usa_today_10814899.0.jpg

They used to, BTW...

Never noticed that.  Damnit. What really bothers me though is when teams put the number offset toward the bottom of the jersey 

84bf3f649ece38ac05ae914803eabc12_crop_ex

usatsi_11292302.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

• Like 7

2 hours ago, PepMan33Conde said:

I'd like to see surnames on the NY Yankees' jerseys.

Zarking fardwarks!

Actually, there should be no player names on any jersey. If every player on a team has a unique number, then names on the uniform are redundant.

Announcers and on-screen graphics keep the viewers informed about players' identities. And the crowds at the games can consult the scoreboard or the trusty scorecard. Thus player names on uniforms serve absolutely no useful purpose.

Furthermore, a uniform back with the number alone looks nicer. While I dislike Major League Baseball's self-congratulatory Jackie Robinson Day event, the one good thing about that day is that we get incontrovertable proof that every uniform looks better without the player names.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Logo marks on the shoulders of NFL uniforms

spacer.png

spacer.png

Visually, if the design is a classic design, the logo mark (Nike Swoosh) becomes clutter. Even when Reebok and Starter did NFL unis, the placement always irked me. (less so when you buy the jersey). I think Nike should go the college route and place the swoosh on the side.

spacer.png

I know this is adidas, its an example though of having less clutter on the shoulder.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, cwilz305 said:

Logo marks on the shoulders of NFL uniforms

spacer.png

spacer.png

Visually, if the design is a classic design, the logo mark (Nike Swoosh) becomes clutter. Even when Reebok and Starter did NFL unis, the placement always irked me. (less so when you buy the jersey). I think Nike should go the college route and place the swoosh on the side.

spacer.png

I know this is adidas, its an example though of having less clutter on the shoulder.

Nike wanted their logo on the front, but the NFL wouldn’t let them because it would compete with the Collar Logo, brand integrity, etc...

• Like 5

da0Lbhs.png

This one might be borderline on whether or not it counts given the item in subject, but I’m gonna post it anyway:

It used to bug me to no end that Joe Mauer’s catching helmet decal had a white “T” against a white background. It was hardly visible and absolutely should’ve been navy against the white for contrast.

spacer.png

Sure you could argue that with the mask on you could hardly see it anyway, but that didn’t stop me from unseeing it anytime he took the mask off.

• Like 4

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

37 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

This one might be borderline on whether or not it counts given the item in subject, but I’m gonna post it anyway:

It used to bug me to no end that Joe Mauer’s catching helmet decal had a white “T” against a white background. It was hardly visible and absolutely should’ve been navy against the white for contrast.

spacer.png

Sure you could argue that with the mask on you could hardly see it anyway, but that didn’t stop me from unseeing it anytime he took the mask off.

That’s how it’s supposed to be. It’s a throwback to their 1970s-80s Batting Helmet. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

da0Lbhs.png

26 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

That’s how it’s supposed to be. It’s a throwback to their 1970s-80s Batting Helmet. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ah that’s right, I remember now. I just wish it would’ve been a navy “T” anyways (throwback accuracy be damned :P ). In any case, it’s not a good look.

• Like 4

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

For years the Royals had a black drop shadow in their logo even though they dropped black years ago on their jerseys. However, this was addressed this season so it's no longer an issue.

The one that I keep mentioning: the Dodgers use too-thin numbers on the back of their jerseys. It was fine when there was a white outline, but that was removed around 2006 or so and they didn't revert to the standard, thicker numbers. Their red numbers on the front of their jerseys are the right weight, the Royals use the proper weight, the Dodgers this very season had the proper weight on their Jackie Robinson jerseys. So why can't they fix this simple thing on their jerseys?

A lot of teams with a red-yellow color scheme tend to put a yellow outline around red elements. Yet it almost always seems to provide much better contrast (especially on a white background) when it's reversed, i.e. a red outline around yellow elements. This also applies to the A's, where I always feel it would look so much better if there was a green outline around the yellow elements. This is because yellow just doesn't contrast well against white at all.