2019 NBA Summer season

buzzcut

5 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Yeah, how dare I do what literally everyone else has done and poke fun at the Lakers for throwing away a young core so they can chase a bunch of flashy big name players. 🙄

Like I said, this is the only place where I've seen people so vehemently defend The Lakers for some reason. 

Everywhere else I've seen, (Twitter, Reddit, other Sports boards) has people laughing at them. 

Even UrinatingTree (which I see people like to share his video a lot) made a video on the Lakes that ended with him Lambasting them for wanting to blow up their core for a bunch of top players. 

I like Urinatingtree. I don’t take his word as gospel. Like any other entertainer. 

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Brass said:

I agree that many people are being conditioned to believe that "disagreement = insult" but it's not confined to youth or Boston for that matter. It's why friendly and honest political discussion of opposing sides doesn't and cannot exist anymore.

I was mostly goofing on AustinFromBoston. If we were SkidmarkFromBismark, I'd have said something about the Dakotas.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I like Urinatingtree. I don’t take his word as gospel. Like any other entertainer. 

My point is other people have the same sentiment I do. 

Yet so many of you are pretending it's some crazy, ridiculous viewpoint.  Despite it being shared by numerous others outside this bubble of a site. 

Maybe that's why I'm so adamant about this? Because this is the only place I've encountered where such a viewpoint is seen as "crazy" and "ludicrous"? 

1 minute ago, AustinFomBoston said:

My point is other people have the same sentiment I do. 

Yet so many of you are pretending it's some crazy, ridiculous viewpoint.  Despite it being shared by numerous others outside this bubble of a site. 

Just because others agree doesn't make it not ridiculous

Yeah, the Lakers gave up a big chunk of their young core and picks for veterans. It could blow up in their faces (as many have argued), but it could also work out. The idea behind it isn't necessarily bad, especially when we see how the team has drafted and developed their players since "basketball reasons" made the team irrelevant for an extended period. 

But getting this bent out of shape over it, not wanting to move on and only digging yourself deeper?

IeS6uS6.gif

Learning to read the room is one of the best skills one can acquire in life. Know when to keep pressing an issue and know when to abandon the topic and move your discussion elsewhere. 

Just now, jmoe12 said:

Just because others agree doesn't make it not ridiculous

One could say the same about others that think it isn't

2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Learning to read the room is one of the best skills one can acquire in life. Know when to keep pressing an issue and know when to abandon the topic and move your discussion elsewhere. 

You're free to move on whenever you want. . 

giphy.gif

And leave it at that. 

2019-20 season: Lakers start 20-5 with LeBron and AD and look every bit the part of a superteam. Then AD goes down with an ACL injury, followed quickly by LeBron and another groin injury. Lakers close out the season 17-40, match their 2018-19 record.

Pelicans, on the other hand, start the season a blistering 15-10, and gain steam to go 35-22 the rest of the way, ending the season with a shocking 50 wins.

2020-21 season: Seeing the undeniable potential of the Hornets, a rehabbed AD tells the Lakers to pound sand and rejoins his old team. The new+old-look Pelicans win 65 games and the title. The Lakers are contracted. Some random CCSLC dudes smuggly tells everyone he told them so and that if the Lakers built their team the right way, none of this would happen.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

2019-20 season: Lakers start 20-5 with LeBron and AD and look every bit the part of a superteam. Then AD goes down with an ACL injury, followed quickly by LeBron and another groin injury. Lakers close out the season 17-40, match their 2018-19 record.

Pelicans, on the other hand, start the season a blistering 15-10, and gain steam to go 35-22 the rest of the way, ending the season with a shocking 50 wins.

2020-21 season: Seeing the undeniable potential of the Hornets, a rehabbed AD tells the Lakers to pound sand and rejoins his old team. The new+old-look Pelicans win 65 games and the title. The Lakers are contracted. Some random CCSLC dudes smuggly tells everyone he told them so and that if the Lakers built their team the right way, none of this would happen.

don't give Frank Vogel credit to start 20-5

If the Lakers don't get Kawhi/Kemba/Kyrie/Jimmy, what is the possibility of getting two of Al Horford, Boogie, Brooke Lopez, Gasol, etc.?

Two or three guys at $10 per (maybe on a discount?) seem like a great alternative to a Big Three plus vet minimums (even though that won two titles in Miami).

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I've been reading a lot of excitement for the new Pelicans core from a lot of the same people who said how much the 2016-18 Lakers core sucked. It's really weird to watch.

I've always believed in the potential of Ingram, Lonzo and D-Lo, but it's interesting how many more people like those guys after they've left LA.

I've also seen one guy say fire Griffin because he traded a player that has decided there's no way he's staying in New Orleans. The guy's argument was that you don't let players determine your roster moves. In this case, he decided it was better to get nothing just to prove you're in control. That's just not smart business.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

This is the problem with our current media system and a lot of the people engaged in it. As a result of examples set by people who should know better, the youth of this country (or at least from Boston) are being conditioned to believe that disagreement = insult. Some minds simply can't understand nuance in argument, so they immediately connect differing viewpoints to being an insult instead.

D_G, you have made more great points on these here boards than I can count and that post just might be the best one yet. Well said and right on the money.

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Yeah, how dare I do what literally everyone else has done and poke fun at the Lakers for throwing away a young core so they can chase a bunch of flashy big name players.

Learn the difference between literally and figuratively and people will take your posts 8% more seriously. 8% isn't much, but it's a start.

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Yeah, how dare I do what literally everyone else has done and poke fun at the Lakers for throwing away a young core so they can chase a bunch of flashy big name players. 🙄

Like I said, this is the only place where I've seen people so vehemently defend The Lakers for some reason. 

Everywhere else I've seen, (Twitter, Reddit, other Sports boards) has people laughing at them. 

Even UrinatingTree (which I see people like to share his video a lot) made a video on the Lakes that ended with him Lambasting them for wanting to blow up their core for a bunch of top players. 

'mate, none of us fancy ourselves as experts, but there is something of a standard for sports discussion here. People over at /r/nba and Twitter enjoy :censored: posting/tweeting, and that's ok, and we're not totally above that stuff (at least when it's well done), but in general this forum tries to keep things a little bit more buttoned up. So if everyone else out there is making fun of the Lakers? We don't care. We're not everyone else, at least not when we're on this website. The sooner that lesson is understood, the better off you'll be. It's understood that these things take time to understand and begin to apply. 

spacer.png

The notion that this place is more "professional" or "buttoned up" than other sites is hilarious, considering how much pure joy you people get out of ganging up on opinions you don't like, spewing the phrase "bad take" over and over, and upvoting each other to death as a substitute for not having a downvote button with which to smite the dissenter. It's pretty pathetic. Don't kid yourselves, this community is a lot closer to Mean Girls or some middle school locker room than it is to anything that could be considered "buttoned up".

There isn't much allowance for troll behavior here, so if you're finding difficulty fitting in, that might and/or should tell you something about you.

I don't know much about NBA basketball, but I know that it's a star-driven league, and that draft picks that aren't top-3 are basically worthless, so if you're able to get a bona fide star for worthless draft picks and a couple of non-star players, you make that deal 8 days a week.

I'm really struggling to find any fault with the Lakers approach here.  You need the stars - at any cost.  Then just figure out the rest.  Bench guys and "second fiddle" guys are what they are for a reason, and there's a higher supply of them than there is of top-tier guys.

Are two stars without a supporting cast enough?  Of course not, but getting a supporting cast is much easier than getting two stars.  And enough with this "homegrown talent" crap.  Homegrown talent works for you whether it actually plays for you, or can be used to acquire other talent.  It's basically the same.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, who do you think said:

The notion that this place is more "professional" or "buttoned up" than other sites is hilarious, considering how much pure joy you people get out of ganging up on opinions you don't like, spewing the phrase "bad take" over and over, and upvoting each other to death as a substitute for not having a downvote button with which to smite the dissenter. It's pretty pathetic. Don't kid yourselves, this community is a lot closer to Mean Girls or some middle school locker room than it is to anything that could be considered "buttoned up".

funny-animated-gifs-best-gifs-jon-voight

3 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Maybe I’m making a fool out of myself because I’m not a basketball guy, but the embarrassing part of the failed trade during the season wasn’t that they wanted to get rid of all their young players; that was the fact that all the players they tried to get rid of were still stuck on the team, but knew the team tried to trade them.

33 minutes ago, who do you think said:

Last I checked, you aren't required to be here. The internet is a big place. There are plenty of other sites where you can go be an internet tough guy. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived