buzzcut

2019 NBA Summer season

49 minutes ago, who do you think said:

The notion that this place is more "professional" or "buttoned up" than other sites is hilarious, considering how much pure joy you people get out of ganging up on opinions you don't like, spewing the phrase "bad take" over and over, and upvoting each other to death as a substitute for not having a downvote button with which to smite the dissenter. It's pretty pathetic. Don't kid yourselves, this community is a lot closer to Mean Girls or some middle school locker room than it is to anything that could be considered "buttoned up".

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

2019-20 season: Lakers start 20-5 with LeBron and AD and look every bit the part of a superteam. Then AD goes down with an ACL injury, followed quickly by LeBron and another groin injury. Lakers close out the season 17-40, match their 2018-19 record.

Pelicans, on the other hand, start the season a blistering 15-10, and gain steam to go 35-22 the rest of the way, ending the season with a shocking 50 wins.

2020-21 season: Seeing the undeniable potential of the Hornets, a rehabbed AD tells the Lakers to pound sand and rejoins his old team. The new+old-look Pelicans win 65 games and the title. The Lakers are contracted. Some random CCSLC dudes smuggly tells everyone he told them so and that if the Lakers built their team the right way, none of this would happen.

Just when I thought I'd read my favorite D_G Now post ever, you go and post this. 

God, anything LeBron adjacent really does make people unhinged.

4 minutes ago, Digby said:

God, anything LeBron adjacent really does make people unhinged.

Comes in the league, revitalizes a garbage franchise twice, never has any legal issues, goes to 8 straight Finals, opens a school for kids on his own dime, encourages his peers to make as much money as possible, makes the league a buttload of money, and seems to be a great father and husband.

What a piece of :censored:.

3 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

My point is other people have the same sentiment I do. 

Yet so many of you are pretending it's some crazy, ridiculous viewpoint.  Despite it being shared by numerous others outside this bubble of a site. 

Maybe that's why I'm so adamant about this? Because this is the only place I've encountered where such a viewpoint is seen as "crazy" and "ludicrous"? 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I promise you I'm not pretending. I actually believe what I posted about the trade. 

So the reason your having a temper tantrum is because this is the one place where people disagree with you? No offense, but that is one dumb assed reason to have a meltdown over an NBA trade you don't like. 

6 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

1. Seems more like the opposite. This board seems to be in it's own little bubble. Never complain/laughing at all the crap the rest of the sportsworld is. 

2. Has nothing to do with "age". 

Yeah, Them being nothing alike makes them nothing alike. 

So you really see no problem with a team completely selling out their young core so they can buy a team of all stars?

Where the hell were you people 4 months ago when everyone was laughing at the Lakers for how pathetic & desperate they were? Even their own fans were heckling them.  

We just pretending that didn't happen?

We were laughing and heckling because that “young core” was absolute trash and nobody wanted it and they would never win with it and LeBron

35 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't know much about NBA basketball, but I know that it's a star-driven league, and that draft picks that aren't top-3 are basically worthless, so if you're able to get a bona fide star for worthless draft picks and a couple of non-star players, you make that deal 8 days a week.

I’ve always found that claim to be bull :censored:.

Here’s a list of current Big Three worthy players drafted outside the top 3: 

Chris Paul 

Kawhi Leonard

Paul George

Steph Curry

Klay Thompson

Jimmy Butler

Damian Lillard

Giannis 

Nikola Jokic 

And this list doesn’t include players who are borderline, like DeAndre Jordan (for much of his career) and DaMar DeRozen, or the multitude of recently retired hall of famers (Wade, Pierce, Bosh, etc.). 

1 hour ago, who do you think said:

The notion that this place is more "professional" or "buttoned up" than other sites is hilarious, considering how much pure joy you people get out of ganging up on opinions you don't like, spewing the phrase "bad take" over and over, and upvoting each other to death as a substitute for not having a downvote button with which to smite the dissenter. It's pretty pathetic. Don't kid yourselves, this community is a lot closer to Mean Girls or some middle school locker room than it is to anything that could be considered "buttoned up".

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never been one to do "cliques" if that's where you're going here. In any case, the persecution complex doesn't do anything for you here. Bad opinions get criticized because they're bad. Don't think I haven't been criticized for bad opinions before? Of course I have, and it was deserved, in all likelihood. In any case, if you want to be taken more seriously, the least you can do is not generalize the hell out of us. To reference a classic movie quote - "you people? What you mean 'you people'?"

Regardless, the use of "buttoned up" is a relative phrase - you can check on many NBA threads on reddit and they're going to be littered with memes and references to The Office. And, you know, I'm not dumping on reddit at all; I go there all the time and have a pretty active account. There are things and topics I can discuss in greater depth over there than over here allows. And that's fine. But you're not going to see as much purposeful :censored: posting here as you'll see there. Because this board doesn't do that kind of stuff like that.

57 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

I’ve always found that claim to be bull :censored:.

Chris Paul 

Kawhi Leonard

Paul George

Steph Curry

Klay Thompson

Jimmy Butler

Damian Lillard

Giannis 

Nikola Jokic 

And this list doesn’t include players who are borderline, like DeAndre Jordan (for much of his career) and DaMar DeRozen, or the multitude of recently retired hall of famers (Wade, Pierce, Bosh, etc.). 

I just looked up a bunch of those guys. In general, they all became who they are by their third season (Steph and Jimmy Butler took a little bit longer). So either BI and Lonzo are about to take a huge leap, or they're going to be mid-level dudes for a long time. Either way, I do think they're competent and have the potential to be very, very good.

But your point was more about the benefits of smart drafting. And I agree; there are lots of dudes being found late in the first or in the second, and top three picks are not a guarantee of long-term success. So, I guess, absent a sure-thing like Zion or, um, Lonzo, I'd be moving top picks for good players.

22 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I just looked up a bunch of those guys. In general, they all became who they are by their third season (Steph and Jimmy Butler took a little bit longer). So either BI and Lonzo are about to take a huge leap, or they're going to be mid-level dudes for a long time. Either way, I do think they're competent and have the potential to be very, very good.

But your point was more about the benefits of smart drafting. And I agree; there are lots of dudes being found late in the first or in the second, and top three picks are not a guarantee of long-term success. So, I guess, absent a sure-thing like Zion or, um, Lonzo, I'd be moving top picks for good players.

That’s the thing, I think this was absolutely the right move by the Lakers as much as I personally hate it due to biased reasoning. Lonzo has never been that great, and quite frankly I think was a reach in the top 3. His whole thing was raw but high ceiling, and while he’s certainly a productive player, I think it’s pretty clear that Magic’s obsession with him wasn’t particularly warranted.

I think the top 3 and big three mythos (it’s really only the  top pick that’s can’t miss generally) has created a culture that hurts the hell out of teams. So many teams build these big threes and don’t realize that you need depth to win a championship, so you get situations like Philly, or the Clippers a few years back that have really great starting lineups that completely fall apart anytime the second unit has to go on. Sure, you need stars, but not shelling out nine draft picks for the 18th best player in the NBA like a lot of teams seem to love doing will allow to build that bench.

Obviously this isn’t really directed at you, more being frustrated with how many people repeat these sort of false narratives.

Side Note: I love how people keep writing about how the Raptors “proved” you don’t need to be a super team to win it all. DID YOU PEOPLE SEE THAT ROSTER??

1 hour ago, Lafarge said:

Chris Paul 

Kawhi Leonard

Paul George

Steph Curry

Klay Thompson

Jimmy Butler

Damian Lillard

Giannis 

Nikola Jokic 

LeBron, Durant, Harden are within the top 3. Rose, Griffin, Wall, Kyrie, were all #1 overall before Davis and are/were pretty darn good players

I've been listening to The Ringer's podcasts lately (some might say first mistake, I know), but they keep on going on and on about Toronto's depth compared to Golden State, except that Toronto played 8 guys all through the Finals. If Golden State was fully healthy, they would have had their starting 5 (Klay, KD, Steph, Draymond, Boogie), plus minutes for Cook, Looney, Livingston, Iggy, and maybe even McKinnie, Bogut, Bell and Jerebko. I know they played more of their bench than they wanted to, but Kerr generally plays 10+ guys in the playoffs.

You need depth to make it through the regular season, but you need health to be successful in the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

LeBron, Durant, Harden are within the top 3. Rose, Griffin, Wall, Kyrie, were all #1 overall before Davis and are/were pretty darn good players

I'm not saying that Top 3 players aren't good, I'm saying that it's not nearly as big of a dropoff between 3 and 4 as people claim. And if you really look at it, 2 and 3 aren't that much better than other picks. It's obviously better to have a top 3 pick, that's true in literally any sport, but after #1 overall which is pretty surefire, it's a relative crapshoot to draft the guy who becomes the star within the lottery.

Non-max Lakers options listed here: https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26987922/top-lakers-free-agent-targets-play-lebron-anthony-davis

Intriguing ideas (+ 2018 salary):

- Pat Beverly ($5.5M)

- Danny Green ($10M)

- Avery Bradley ($8.8M)

- Nerlens Noel ($1.9M)

Apparently, LA might have just $23M in space. Seems like getting three of those four could be possible to fill out the roster. A starting five of LeBron, AD, Beverly, Green and Noel is...a team. But, for what it's worth, the last championship Lakers team started Kobe, Pau, Derek Fisher, Metta World Peace, and Andrew Bynum. So..who the hell knows.

EDIT: I forgot Kuzma

On 6/16/2019 at 8:23 AM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Isn't this Lakers trade the same they tried with New Orleans a few months ago?

Close.  Although none of it was confirmed (these after all were just talks between the franchises) sources siad one early Lakers offer was Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Rajon Rondo, Michael Beasley and "a" first round pick (never defined as to when that first pick would be).

A lot has changed since then--  Dell Demps is no longer running the Pelicans franchise, the Pels acquired Griffin as head of basketball operations (thank God), then there was the lottery, in which the Pels wound up with No. 1 and Lakers No. 4. 

My thoughts on the trade?

It could wind up being a good one for both AD and the Pelicans.  Anthony Davis, in personality and on the court, has never been and will never be the "Alpha guy". He's a great player, but not a leader, a role Dell Demps and the Pels staff tried to put him in.  

LeBron, on the other hand, has and will always be The Man, the clear leader of the pack.  It's a role he enjoys and relishes.  I think this new situation will help AD tremendously. taking a lot of pressure off of him, and he will likely thrive in LA.  He'll bloom as the Mr. Spock to LeBron's Captain Kirk....  Heck, LeBron may even pressure him to toughen up a bit, play through some of his myriad "injuries" (quotes intentional) and quit being such a Mr. Glass. 

The Pels now have some serious assets ( #1 and #4 first round picks this year, two other 1st round picks, some young LA talent to play or trade, Jrue Holiday, etc.) which will allow Griffin to build a great team over the next few years.  It should make for some exciting times down here, and I am looking forward to it.

Best case for the Pels:

- Zion is a hit

- BI and Zo hit their fourth/third years, stay healthy, and show why they were top picks

- That 4th pick turns into something good

- They win 40-50 games and are in the playoff hunt

- The Lakers implode over the next five years and the remaining two picks turn into top tend

Worst case for the Pels:

- BI and Zo are busts

- Zion's lack of shooting hurts him a lot

- Lakers win big and those picks keep on remaining in the 20s

- Pels pack up and move to Seattle

Reality will be somewhere in between. Based on LA's recent experience? I'd be optimistic as a NO fan.

10 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Best case for the Pels:

- Zion is a hit

- BI and Zo hit their fourth/third years, stay healthy, and show why they were top picks

- That 4th pick turns into something good

- They win 40-50 games and are in the playoff hunt

- The Lakers implode over the next five years and the remaining two picks turn into top tend

Worst case for the Pels:

- BI and Zo are busts

- Zion's lack of shooting hurts him a lot

- Lakers win big and those picks keep on remaining in the 20s

Reality will be somewhere in between. Based on LA's recent experience? I'd be optimistic as a NO fan.

New Orleans should hope that the Pelicans win and win a lot and convince Zion to stay when his rookie contract ends. 

Congrats again to Toronto. The parade looks awesome!

Also, hey everyone, LaVar Ball!

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Worst case for the Pels:

Worst case for the fans in New Orleans, anyhow. The Pelicans could become a big market franchise overnight if they pursued the relocation to Seattle. It seemed like the Bensons bought them out of pity and couldn't care less about the team. Might as well liquidate the asset and sell to some PNW billionaire. It might be their best/only shot at keeping Zion for his entire career.

The Pelicans just don't move the needle in New Orleans, and something's gotta give. The league shouldn't be content with having these black hole franchises that repel talent. It'll honestly be funny to see AD's first game back just because the arena will be filled with Laker fans anyway.