2019 NBA Summer season

buzzcut

43 minutes ago, Digby said:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a trade like the Kyrie/IT trade that was such a lose-lose proposition for all parties involved. Teams, players, everybody.

I don't think the Kyrie trade was that bad for the Celtics. Had he not gotten injured just before the playoffs last year, there's a good chance they end up making the Finals. At the very least his injury did coincide with them losing the division. Really it was just bad luck. 

People seem to forget they were an amazing team last year, but for whatever reason they just couldn't mesh together this year like they did last year.  

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jazz just stole Conley from the grizz. Is this the best deal Memphis could really get? I know Conley is older now but he still has stuff left in him. Crowder and Korver won’t be there long and I don’t see Allen turning into anything more than a decent bench player. Who’s predicted to go 23 this year?

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

38 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Jazz just stole Conley from the grizz. Is this the best deal Memphis could really get? I know Conley is older now but he still has stuff left in him. Crowder and Korver won’t be there long and I don’t see Allen turning into anything more than a decent bench player. Who’s predicted to go 23 this year?

I won't lie, I was expecting more ... like Favors, Exum and picks. This was a steal. And, from what I've read the Grizzlies are shopping the #23 pick too. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 minute ago, kimball said:

I won't lie, I was expecting more ... like Favors, Exum and picks. This was a steal. And, from what I've read the Grizzlies are shopping the #23 pick too. 

I'm actually surprised by how much the Jazz gave up for Conley. I was expecting a lot less for Conley out there. So... we all win?

9 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I'm actually surprised by how much the Jazz gave up for Conley. I was expecting a lot less for Conley out there. So... we all win?

Yeah. Two rotation players and two picks is a player and pick removed from LeBron for a player a lot less good.

Did LeBron just reset trade expectations?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I'm late to this and I'm not an NBA guy so maybe I'm not following, but I fail to see how trading your assets for a ready made star is some morally rapacious or scummy path towards contention. Especially when every single team has done it at some point. Isn't the whole strategy in the NBA to acquire high draft picks? If you trade a pick that hasn't been used or you trade a pick that you took 3 years ago that is now assigned to a player's value or you decide to keep the player you used the high pick on, then what the hell is the difference? 

Would this discussion be different if it was a team like the Kings or Twolves doing it rather than the Lakers? Probably. 

It’s more that they used him, and abused him to the point of having him play injured and make him permanently damaged goods. They could have chose to shut him down after the hip injury first came to light but chose to keep playing him and riding the “scrappy young player fighting through injury and dealing with the death of his sister” narrative the whole playoffs when he didn’t have to. Some of that is on IT because he could have chose to not play and protect himself for the future but he was assured the Celtics were going to stay with him for the whole recovery process ect. But they dumped him at the first opportunity. 

26 minutes ago, dont care said:

It’s more that they used him, and abused him to the point of having him play injured and make him permanently damaged goods. They could have chose to shut him down after the hip injury first came to light but chose to keep playing him and riding the “scrappy young player fighting through injury and dealing with the death of his sister” narrative the whole playoffs when he didn’t have to. Some of that is on IT because he could have chose to not play and protect himself for the future but he was assured the Celtics were going to stay with him for the whole recovery process ect. But they dumped him at the first opportunity. 

And Durant still played in game 5 anyway. SMDH.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

So that explains why AD was so hell bent on being traded to LA. 

After all the vitriol you spewed about the AD trade, I'm not sure if you're joking. On the off chance that you're serious...

I'm pretty sure they'll be shooting the film in the offseason. Who is playing where at the time probably doesn't make any difference. Lillard is in Portand and he's still going to be in the movie. In any case, I seriously doubt AD was "hell bent" on going to the Lakers so he could be in a movie sequel that doesn't need to be made. 

BB52Big.jpg

The studio was going to film it in California this summer as they applied and received tax credits from the state in the fall of 2018.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/space-jam-2-film-california-1162269

Austin, I guess you'll also tell me that Diana Taurasi doesn't have a bad back and isn't playing for the Mercury for 10-12 weeks just so she can film her scenes.

5 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Relax, just a joke. 

Since Between Rich Paul, Lakers Front office, and AD himself, there was so much effort just to get him to LA.

Him just so happening to be in Space Jam 2 on top of that just makes it funny coincidence. 😄

If by that you mean the effort from AD being “I want to get traded”, rich Paul’s being “he’s going to opt out after his first year”, and lakers being “we’ll give you these 3 players and draft picks” I’m not sure what effort they made that’s different than any other trade for a star player.

19 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I still think Boston fleeced Cleveland in this trade. But, if Kyrie leaves (and he honestly should), it's now more of an even trade. You can say the needle may swing back towards Cleveland, but I digress.

Cleveland got a good player and Boston got one as well. Although, that good player Boston got should leave for greener pastures.

I don't think either team won or lost the trade.

But considering Kyrie was never going to stay in Cleveland and he was becoming a headache, I'll gladly take a promising prospect for him. We went back to the Finals again without him, and Boston never made the Finals with him. The pettiness in me is perfectly fine with how the trade turned out. 

T1oYViW.png

33 minutes ago, selby56 said:

But considering Kyrie was never going to stay in Cleveland and he was becoming a headache, I'll gladly take a promising prospect for him. We went back to the Finals again without him, and Boston never made the Finals with him. The pettiness in me is perfectly fine with how the trade turned out. 

In spring 2018, there were rumors the Cavs could have had Kemba Walker for the Celtics pick (that ended up being Sexton).

Who would you have rather had? Sexton now or Kemba then?

3 hours ago, dont care said:

If by that you mean the effort from AD being “I want to get traded”, rich Paul’s being “he’s going to opt out after his first year”, and lakers being “we’ll give you these 3 players and draft picks” I’m not sure what effort they made that’s different than any other trade for a star player.

Well, except for the fact that even his agent was pretty intent on getting him to LA, and the Lakers themselves tried to strong arm the Pelicans at the deadline by giving up almost their entire team for him. 

19 hours ago, dont care said:

I watch fewer than 5 NBA games a year. This year I watched the game I went to in Salt Lake City between the Jazz and Mavericks and the last 2 finals games. You'll have to forgive me for not knowing what any of your post means. 

I was asking why is it scummy that the Lakers traded a bunch of assets to New Orleans for Anthony Davis. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

59 minutes ago, selby56 said:

It is maybe a thing where Boston "won" for basketball reasons at the time, but the intangible fallout -- window ends up slamming shut way early, locker-room culture left a smoldering crater, stars like AD vocally opposed to going to Boston -- ended up swinging the trade. Probably unforeseeable, but it makes for a good story!

BTW, I'm not saying Brad Stevens should be fired or anything, and not that he deserves all the blame with the active saboteur Kyrie around, but it would be nice if the basketblogosphere held him to account for his nightmarish job managing last year's team. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

34 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

In spring 2018, there were rumors the Cavs could have had Kemba Walker for the Celtics pick (that ended up being Sexton).

Who would you have rather had? Sexton now or Kemba then?

That is a tough one. Kemba would have helped against Golden State, but I think the only thing he does is prevent us from getting swept. Golden State still probably wins that series in convincing fashion.

There is also the aspect of us trying to keep Lebron. Does acquiring Kemba entice Lebron to stay? Probably not, I feel that Lebron was planning to leave for a while before the deadline. 

All of this "analysis" taken into account, I guess I'd rather have Sexton now just for the sake of starting the rebuild a year earlier. The fact he showed promise as a rookie doesn't hurt either.

T1oYViW.png

Archived