buzzcut

2019 NBA Summer season

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Digby said:

 

It is maybe a thing where Boston "won" for basketball reasons at the time, but the intangible fallout -- window ends up slamming shut way early, locker-room culture left a smoldering crater, stars like AD vocally opposed to going to Boston -- ended up swinging the trade. Probably unforeseeable, but it makes for a good story!

 

BTW, I'm not saying Brad Stevens should be fired or anything, and not that he deserves all the blame with the active saboteur Kyrie around, but it would be nice if the basketblogosphere held him to account for his nightmarish job managing last year's team. 

 

There was an article on NBC Sports yesterday that said Steven's devotion to Hayward lost the locker room.

 

Could explain why Horford is walking away from $30m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, DG_Now said:

 

There was an article on NBC Sports yesterday that said Steven's devotion to Hayward lost the locker room.

 

Could explain why Horford is walking away from $30m.

You also walk away when you're only 33 and can still likely get $22-24M/year for two or three years.  His birthday is June 3, so he doesn't yet think about the "Over-38 Rule", unless he seeks four or five years.

 

Edit: 4 years for $112M is what DAL is rumored to give Horford

Edited by dfwabel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Celtics entire 2018-19 season consisted of Brad Stevens hijacking the offense for Hayward despite the latter not being in NBA shape (because Butler, apparently), and free-agents-to-be Kyrie Irving, Terry Rozier, and Marcus Morris all attempting to hijack the offense for themselves so they could score more points and get paid. All four of them could leave town and the Celtics would instantly be a better team for it (the latter three can and hopefully will, but they're stuck with Hayward).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Hayward's injury last year played a role in Stevens putting so much focus on him. 

Maybe he or Ainge felt like they needed to prove some return on their investment while they still had all the pieces together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember thinking that the Cavs fleeced Boston at the time. I thought that they gave up way too much for Kyrie, and that IT was going to come back from the injury fine.

 

Now, I agree that both teams lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Relax, just a joke. 

 

Since Between Rich Paul, Lakers Front office, and AD himself, there was so much effort just to get him to LA.

Him just so happening to be in Space Jam 2 on top of that just makes it funny coincidence. 😄

 

You can see why I wasn't entirely sure you were joking, right? I'm only exaggerating a little when I say that Cavs fans reacted better to "The Decision" than you did to the Lakers - Pelicans trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

 

You can see why I wasn't entirely sure you were joking, right? I'm only exaggerating a little when I say that Cavs fans reacted better to "The Decision" than you did to the Lakers - Pelicans trade. 

Look, I admit I took things too far there, and I apologize. 

Sometime my spectrum brain sometimes just doesn't take things in right, but that's no excuse. 

So let's just move on from it, ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been this excited for an NBA Draft in seven years. Go Pelicans! Welcome to the Zion era!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not being able to make trades official is dumb. Half of those guys are getting picked and having pictures taken with the wrong team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the Pelicans doing with all those picks in one draft? What is Atlanta doing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

What are the Pelicans doing with all those picks in one draft? What is Atlanta doing?

 

David Griffin is killing it lately.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Look, I admit I took things too far there, and I apologize. 

Sometime my spectrum brain sometimes just doesn't take things in right, but that's no excuse. 

So let's just move on from it, ok. 

 

What, you're the only one allowed to make jokes? B) Seriously though, it's all good. Apology accepted. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Ainge is so damn cut throat, even Belichick is like "whoa, dude". 

But this is the “right way” to build a team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

 

David Griffin is killing it lately.

 

 

 

New Orleans looks like they will be competitive in a wide open Western Conference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there was any valid reason to trade Baynes in the first place, for basketball reasonsTM. But if he opted in and then changed his mind because he didn't like the look of the roster all of a sudden, he doesn't get to dictate where he lands. But, you know, Twatter has narratives to write.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, who do you think said:

I don't think there was any valid reason to trade Baynes in the first place, for basketball reasonsTM. But if he opted in and then changed his mind because he didn't like the look of the roster all of a sudden, he doesn't get to dictate where he lands. But, you know, Twatter has narratives to write.

Trading him clears up some cap room for the Celtics. So there was a reason to trade him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.