buzzcut

2019 NBA Summer season

On 9/17/2019 at 5:20 PM, Blindsay said:

But with the technology we have these days, you KNOW they are going to do some digging. with one google search, they could be scarred forever.

Hey - I'm not advocating that the company actually gets the naming rights. Just putting up a for-instance. And Net Nanny programs exist for a reason.

54 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Because everybody likes lists, here's B/R's Top 50 All Time NBA Players

We may hear Simmons monologue about this list compared to his tomorrow.

And LaMelo Ball is apparently really good, and grown (now 6'7")

Their top 10:

10. Steph

9. Chamberlain

8. Russell

7. Duncan

6. Shaq

5. Bird

4. Magic

3. Kareem

2. LeBron

1. MJ

I'd have nine of those 10 in mine. And I definitely wouldn't have David Robinson ahead of Hakeem (?!).

Putting Steph in the top ten seems like a troll move, so I'm not going to fall for the bait. I like their top 5, though I'd swap LeBron and MJ because I'm in between an Old and a Young (and I think the Youngs prefer Kobe to LeBron anyway).

I’m just wondering what their scummiest NBA players would look like. It would be an invalid list if “Fast” Eddie Johnson isn’t number one. 

It's preseason, but AD and LeBron are going to be a problem.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

It's preseason, but AD and LeBron are going to be a problem.

Nah, the Rockets are gonna be a problem.

OH MY GAWD THE LAKERS JUST WON THE TITLE.......oh it's the first preseason game you say......damn. 

37 minutes ago, Wings said:

OH MY GAWD THE LAKERS JUST WON THE TITLE.......oh it's the first preseason game you say......damn. 

🤷‍♂️

I thought the NBA’s original statement was bad, but the Chinese version said hold my baijiu 

At least we won’t have to hear about how woke the billionaires who own the NBA are compared to the billionaires who own teams in other leagues anymore. Great open letter by the Nets new owner about how he values free speech but not when it’s about China

I think Daryl Morey will experience a great deal of personal growth and development at the re-education camps and if he returns with his kidneys he'll be a better general manager than ever.

I think about this any time I hear about corporations "doing good."

It's really odd that Harden apologized to the Chinese government.  

Putting the Rockets' GM on an island by protecting the interests of the Chinese government is a terrible look for the league. 

Posted (edited)

Here's what the NBA should've said.

spacer.png

Edited by Red Comet

Steve Kerr, who has been quick to share his thoughts on everything under the sun, needs more time to learn about China before he can speak. Okay, we'll get back to you.

this comes to mind with all of what is going on:

from The Guns of Navarone:

your bystanding days are over! You're in it now, up to your neck!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Steve Kerr, who has been quick to share his thoughts on everything under the sun, needs more time to learn about China before he can speak. Okay, we'll get back to you.

See, it would be one thing if the NBA hadn't marketed itself as "more than basketball". If they had maintained a consistent stance that they are nothing more than the amoral profiteering agency that they are, they wouldn't be in nearly as much :censored:. 

:censored: these woke bourgeois, I'd be happier if Gordon Gecko was running the league. At least he was honest about who he was.

The NBA's position might as well be "Dictatorships make sneakers too"

Edited by Red Comet

Adam Silver is really talented at walking on a razor's edge: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27797311/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-reacts-chinese-tv-cancels-game-broadcasts

On Tuesday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said the public has already expressed its position.

"How can it be possible to carry out exchanges and cooperation with China without knowing China's public opinion?'' Geng said. "NBA's cooperation with China has been going on for quite a long time, so for what should be said and what should be done, they know best."

But Silver said the league "will not put itself in a position of regulating what players, employees and team owners say or will not say on these issues."

Silver's statement was sent out shortly before he was to hold a news conference in Tokyo.

Silver said, "it is inevitable that people around the world -- including from America and China -- will have different viewpoints over different issues. It is not the role of the NBA to adjudicate those differences."

Silver also responded to those criticizing the league's approach over the past several days, including some U.S. lawmakers who have called for the league to take action -- some even suggesting the league should cancel its games in China.

"This is about far more than growing our business. ... Values of equality, respect and freedom of expression have long defined the NBA -- and will continue to do so," Silver said. "As an American-based basketball league operating globally, among our greatest contributions are these values of the game."