2019 NBA Summer season

buzzcut

7 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Shame on me for calling out a team so blatantly trying to buy a championship I guess. 

I just don't remember when that suddenly became acceptable. 

Around the time the Celtics acquired Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen to engineer the biggest one year turnaround in league history and win the Celtics only league title in the last 30 years (!)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Around the time the Celtics acquired Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen to engineer the biggest one year turnaround in league history and win the Celtics only league title in the last 30 years (!)

Once Again, those 2 are Nothing alike. 

One team kept their core intact, the other sold it off. How long are you going to purposely ignore that? 

Lakers are completely selling out so they can win a championship. 

Funny how their own fans gave them :censored: for that not even few months ago. (Chanting "Lebron's gonna trade you") 

This is some hill you’ve chosen to die on, my goodness. I’m done with this though. It’s like talking to a wall. 

On topic, the Pelicans are about to the most entertaining team in the league once they pick Zion. So many dunks. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

41 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Shame on me for calling out a team so blatantly trying to buy a championship I guess. 

I just don't remember when that suddenly became acceptable. 

Always. It's always been acceptable, even in amateur sports.

2 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Always. It's always been acceptable, even in amateur sports.

This is literally the only Sports board I've seen that's so vehemently defending the Lakers, even after all the scummy :censored: they pulled. 

Everywhere else people are rightfully :censored:ting on the team for so blatantly selling out trying to buy a team rather than build one. 

4 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

This is literally the only Sports board I've seen that's so vehemently defending the Lakers, even after all the scummy :censored: they pulled. 

Everywhere else people are rightfully :censored:ting on the team for so blatantly selling out trying to buy a team rather than build one. 

Could it be that...

1) This is one of the few places you go to outside of your bubble? 

2) This place skews older? Like I said I used to be in the “you have to build teams the right way!” headspace until I got older and realized nothing in sports actually works that way. If the other boards you visit skew towards kids in their teens/early 20s? No wonder they have that same naive view of things. 

35 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

One team kept their core intact, the other sold it off. How long are you going to purposely ignore that? 

You saying they’re nothing alike doesn’t mean they’re nothing alike. 

2 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

They literally are building one, they didn’t buy AD in free agency. There are 173757392817463 different ways to build a team and this is just one of them. There is nothing wrong about what they did even morally. They gave some players and assets the pelicans valued for a player that they valued. I really don’t see what the problem is, and you seeing stuff elsewhere about people not liking it are just people who hate the lakers/lebron  :censored: piling on after last season. The lakers were historically bad last season so they are taking the opportunity while they can. It’s what fans of rivals do.

9 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Seems to me this is more about you having hate for the Lakers than on how to build a team. By the way those 2007/08 Celtics were pretty much built on trades & free agents and not on "core" drafted players. 

9 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

This is some hill you’ve chosen to die on, my goodness. I’m done with this though. It’s like talking to a wall. 

On topic, the Pelicans are about to the most entertaining team in the league once they pick Zion. So many dunks. 

Alvin Gentry is dead man walking. Demps extended him to 2020-21 in June 2018.

15 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Could it be that...

1) This is one of the few places you go to outside of your bubble? 

2) This place skews older? Like I said I used to be in the “you have to build teams the right way!” headspace until I got older and realized nothing in sports actually works that way. If the other boards you visit skew towards kids in their teens/early 20s? No wonder they have that same naive view of things

You saying they’re nothing alike doesn’t mean they’re nothing alike. 

1. Seems more like the opposite. This board seems to be in it's own little bubble. Never complain/laughing at all the crap the rest of the sportsworld is. 

2. Has nothing to do with "age". 

Yeah, Them being nothing alike makes them nothing alike. 

14 minutes ago, dont care said:

They literally are building one, they didn’t buy AD in free agency. There are 173757392817463 different ways to build a team and this is just one of them. There is nothing wrong about what they did even morally. They gave some players and assets the pelicans valued for a player that they valued. I really don’t see what the problem is, and you seeing stuff elsewhere about people not liking it are just people who hate the lakers/lebron  :censored: piling on after last season. The lakers were historically bad last season so they are taking the opportunity while they can. It’s what fans of rivals do.

So you really see no problem with a team completely selling out their young core so they can buy a team of all stars?

Where the hell were you people 4 months ago when everyone was laughing at the Lakers for how pathetic & desperate they were? Even their own fans were heckling them.  

We just pretending that didn't happen?

50 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Lakers are completely selling out so they can win a championship. 

Funny how their own fans gave them :censored: for that not even few months ago. (Chanting "Lebron's gonna trade you") 

And in the last 15 seasons, Pat Riley and the Heat have done it to get to five Finals and win three Championships.

In 2004, they traded Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and a 1st for Shaq.  Then they did a sign and trade with CLE for LeBron.

Two good moves for a decade of relevance. 

6 hours ago, rams80 said:
13 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

It's a slap in the face to all the teams who actually do put in all that effort to scout, draft, and develop players, while getting talent to support them. 

I assume we are discussing lifelong Celtics Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen here.

Let's not leave out lifelong Celtics, Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson, and Bill Walton. Back in '79 when the Celtics drafted those three, we all knew that if we gave it time, they'd end up being a big part of leading the Celtics to a title in 1986. And you know what? They were.

BB52Big.jpg

29 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

What exactly is "scummy" about this? They didn't do anything legally or morally wrong. It's not like the Pelicans got fleeced in some scam trade. If that's the angle then we need to talk about how your Celtics were supposedly "scummy" for fleecing the Nets when they traded KG and Pierce to Brooklyn.

LeBron has a limited window of continued excellence. Would it be more prudent for the Lakers to just ride that out, hoping for the best, or to actively go out and try to win a title or two while they still can? They're trying to win titles, not go through the process.

11 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

1. Seems more like the opposite. This board seems to be in it's own little bubble. Never complain/laughing at all the crap the rest of the sportsworld is. 

This board isn’t an “echo chamber” just because most people don’t agree with your hilariously bad take.

"I’m right it’s ALL OF YOU who are wrong!" is never a good look.

2. Has nothing to do with "age". 

Oh my sweet summer child...yes it does. Your mindset here reflects a teens-early 20s mindset that’s pretty damn naive. I mean it’s fine...it’s a phase I think all sports fans go through, but it’s not reflective of reality at all. 

So you really see no problem with a team completely selling out their young core so they can buy a team of all stars?

Where the hell were you people 4 months ago when everyone was laughing at the Lakers for how pathetic & desperate they were? Even their own fans were heckling them.  

We just pretending that didn't happen?

I don’t spend my time looking to “laugh” at teams 🤷‍♂️

Aside from the Detroit Red Wings. I’ll always look for reasons to laugh at the Detroit Red Wings :P

Yeah, Them being nothing alike makes them nothing alike. 

“Team trades assets to secure high end talent to turn them into a contender” describes what the Celtics and Lakers both did though. 

Let's get something straight here. The only "process" is whatever a team does to win that is within the rules of the league it plays in. It's not like the Lakers (or the 80's or '08 Celtics, for that matter) broke any rules here. All they did was make some trades, which last time I checked, is still a legal way of obtaining players for your team in the NBA. Seems to me that the real issue here is a team did something a fan doesn't like and said fan is having a temper tantrum over it. If that's "defending the 'scummy' Lakers" then I guess I'm guilty as charged. 

BB52Big.jpg

Just now, Red Wolf said:

What exactly is "scummy" about this? They didn't do anything legally or morally wrong. It's not like the Pelicans got fleeced in some scam trade. If that's the angle then we need to talk about how your Celtics were supposedly "scummy" for fleecing the Nets when they traded KG and Pierce to Brooklyn.

LeBron has a limited window of continued excellence. Would it be more prudent for the Lakers to just ride that out, hoping for the best, or to actively go out and try to win a title or two while they still can? They're trying to win titles, not go through the process.

Did a bunch of you guys get collective amnesia or something? 

Lakers tried to strong arm the Pelicans into dealing AD at the deadline. Which lead to the whole season of Lakers being heckled because they were so clearly willing to sell out a young core they spent so much time drafting and trying building around. And in the end they still did it.  Are we just pretending that never happened? 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

This board isn’t an “echo chamber” just because most people don’t agree with your hilariously bad take.

"I’m right it’s ALL OF YOU who are wrong!" is never a good look.

Pot, meet Kettle. 

3 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Oh my sweet summer child...yes it does. Your mindset here reflects a teens-early 20s mindset that’s pretty damn naive. I mean it’s fine...it’s a phase I think all sports fans go through, but it’s not reflective of reality at all

If you don't have an argument, you can stop with the condescending BS. It just makes you look worse. 

1 minute ago, AustinFomBoston said:

If you don't have an argument, you can stop with the condescending BS. It just makes you look worse. 

You need to step away from the keyboard for a little bit and cool off. Take a breath and relax before this gets out of hand. 

BB52Big.jpg

Pot, meet Kettle. 

I don’t think you know how that term is supposed to work. 

First off? You’re in no position to talk about how bad something looks in this thread 😂

Secondly? I’m describing the mindset you’re operating under. If you don’t like what you see when someone holds up the mirror? Work on self-improvement. In this case? That means growing up and gaining some perspective. 

5 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Did a bunch of you guys get collective amnesia or something? 

Lakers tried to strong arm the Pelicans into dealing AD at the deadline. Which lead to the whole season of Lakers being heckled because they were so clearly willing to sell out a young core they spent so much time drafting and trying building around. And in the end they still did it.  Are we just pretending that never happened? 

A young core that was going nowhere and couldn't make the playoffs. If the foundation is busted, it's in your best interest to fix it. The Lakers' attempts to "strong-arm" the Pelicans made only made it harder for the Lakers to get Davis. New Orleans likely got a way better offer than they would have otherwise because they didn't actually want to deal with the Lakers and used that to get a better trade.

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don’t think you know how that term is supposed to work. 

First off? You’re in no position to talk about how bad something looks in this thread 😂

Secondly? I’m describing the mindset you’re operating under. If you don’t like what you see when someone holds up the mirror? Work on self-improvement. In this case? That means growing up and gaining some perspective. 

I'm not the one resorting to petty, condensing insults here. 

If you don't have anything to add, then just stop.

Archived