Dastardly's Designs (4/01 - MIN)

Ridleylash

Decided to have a crack at making my own concepts thread here, see how I can improve and tinker with my design skills and sensibilities. All of my concepts are going to be using the Adizero template made by Steven over on HockeyJerseyConcepts, for clarity's sake; it's my template of choice for hockey jerseys.

First up are the Tampa Bay Lightning.
I'm sure many of us are not exactly fans of Tampa's current identity, namely the colors and logo, so I decided to revamp the team's identity a bit. My main goal with these jerseys was to try and make the team more visually distinct from Toronto when it comes to color layout. If you have any ideas on how to improve them, feel free to reply and tell me; I'm open to suggestions as to how to tweak these.

spacer.png

For sweeping changes, I've gone ahead and replaced the current primary logo with it's previous equivalent; I chose the late-00's logo because it was modern enough to work without being overly simple like the oft-maligned current logo, plus it didn't have the (in my opinion) outdated text style of the original Tampa logo. The secondary logo remains the same as it is currently.

For colors; the blue has gone from Toronto-lite to a more vibrant electric blue, tying into the team's name. Black is now the secondary color again, with the top of the jersey being predominantly black with blue and white as accents to firmly set a new chromatic identity for the franchise. Jersey text and numbers are primarily white, with the numbers and front letters having blue and black outlining.

spacer.png

Obviously, the away jersey is pretty similar to the home jersey, just with some of the colors flipped about; white replaces blue, blue replaces black, black replaces white. I think it looks pretty nice, though; the added black makes the jersey less monochromatic and the electric blue really pops. The jersey text and numbers are black with blue bordering to keep them easily legible at a distance.

spacer.png

The third jersey uses the oh-so-beloved "BOLTS" wordmark on a black jersey. Blue is the secondary color, while white is pushed to a tertiary accent alongside the new addition of a silvery-gray color. The outlines of the numbers and front letter are now silver, as well.

Continuing on from one heavy redesign to one that's a bit less heavy; here's Nashville! Again, looking for critique to try and improve myself as far as jersey design goes, so feel free to add any thoughts you may have on how to tweak these jerseys to improve them.
spacer.png

Nashville's set is one I find is fine in one jersey but absolutely atrocious for the other. The away I have very little issue with, hence why it's remained mostly the same, minus tweaks to the sleeves and a edit of the primary to remove the (in my opinion) dumb and cluttering yellow swoosh. Now, as for the home jersey...

spacer.png

This is where all the obvious changes go. It's no secret that a lot of people despise Nashville's current home jerseys, and I'm definitely among them; so I've gone back to blue as the dominant color, with white and yellow serving as accents to brighten the jersey in spots. Along with the cleaned logo, it looks a lot sharper then their current home jersey in my own opinion.

spacer.png

Granted, don't waste something when you can simply improve upon it! The third is now the yellow jersey, but with more blue and white to balance it out a bit better. In addition to the normal striping, there's now some extra thin stripes by the wrist and on the waist to go along with the guitar pick logo, echoing Nashville's nickname of "Music City".

For Nashville I would suggest making the stripes on the sleeves and hem more alike. What I mean by this is like making the size of the outline the same on both or in the same color sequence (blue-gold-blue on both instead of that on the sleeves and gold-blue-gold on the hem). I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Overall it is a good start, I would just look at the changes I mentioned.

48 minutes ago, Section30 said:

For Nashville I would suggest making the stripes on the sleeves and hem more alike. What I mean by this is like making the size of the outline the same on both or in the same color sequence (blue-gold-blue on both instead of that on the sleeves and gold-blue-gold on the hem). I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Overall it is a good start, I would just look at the changes I mentioned.

Yeah, looking over the design again, I'd have to agree with you that the hem looks a bit off, at least for the home and away; the third's pattern is a bit more balanced out by the additional blue striping. I'll take a look and see if I can't figure out something to improve it.

EDIT:

In addition to fixing the consistency, I tried thickening the blue hem stripe as well on both the away and home jersey, and I definitely think it looks better then my initial attempt;

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ditto about making the striping more alike, but for Tampa. Hem and sleeve striping is different. Pick one and go with it. Also put a white stripe in between the yoke and body to separate the two blues. Also shrink your crests a little bit.

11 hours ago, appleclock said:

Ditto about making the striping more alike, but for Tampa. Hem and sleeve striping is different. Pick one and go with it. Also put a white stripe in between the yoke and body to separate the two blues. Also shrink your crests a little bit.

Shrunk the crest and fixed the color ordering, but ultimately, I decided I was just dissatisfied with Tampa's sleeves in general and decided to flat-out renovate them. Also played with the hem stripe order, and I think it's improved by reversing some colors;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The third I tweaked the hem pattern for, by making it two smaller white stripes surrounding a larger gray stripe instead of three smaller stripes that had blue between them not found in the sleeve striping. Alongside a recolored alt logo to keep it distinct against the arm patterning, I think it definitely looks better this way;

spacer.png

Bumping again to add a new team; the Dallas Stars!

spacer.png

Dallas was interesting for me because the concept I had evolved pretty dramatically as I continued tinkering. Initially, my concept had re-added yellow into the color scheme to replace the white and thus made it closer to the original uniforms, but ultimately I decided against it in favor of a purely green color scheme, minus the white on the text and outlining the logo to keep strong visibility, that I think looks very nice. The hem striping used to have white as well, but I removed that before posting it because I realized it really didn't look very good.

spacer.png

The away counterpart is obviously a colorswap, so not too much to go over here. The swapped stripe colors look nice together, at least.

spacer.png

And now we get to the third...and I mean, could it possibly be anything else? As much as I tried to decide on something not hideous, the Mooterus is just too damn attractive in it's hideousness not to include in the set somehow.

So this is a jersey I deliberately tried to make as ugly as I could while still making some amount of the team identity within it. There's multiple colors not found in the normal jerseys here, and the oh-so-common slanted wrist cuffs and curved hem stripes with their obnoxious red color intruding on a normally-simple identity, to me, just scream "ugly 90's third", akin to the Poohbear and Burger King.

Thinking about it, I probably could have used a more "xtreme" font style here just to really drive the idea in, but ultimately I think not doing that was for the best; it's already kinda a glorious mess as it is.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:19 PM, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Shrunk the crest and fixed the color ordering, but ultimately, I decided I was just dissatisfied with Tampa's sleeves in general and decided to flat-out renovate them. Also played with the hem stripe order, and I think it's improved by reversing some colors;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The third I tweaked the hem pattern for, by making it two smaller white stripes surrounding a larger gray stripe instead of three smaller stripes that had blue between them not found in the sleeve striping. Alongside a recolored alt logo to keep it distinct against the arm patterning, I think it definitely looks better this way;

spacer.png

That lightning logo is pretty sweet, on a cap it would be hella clean. 

• 1 month later...

About time I bump this thread with a new redesign set; the Los Angeles Kings.

spacer.png

Obviously, I've gone back to the purple, since I'm dead-set on this look as the best the Kings have ever looked. The mid-2000's crown is the primary again, and the shield from that same era is now the secondary logo.

spacer.png

Not too much to say on the home jersey, as it's mainly a color swap of the away jersey. I personally think it looks quite sharp, though.

spacer.png

Third is mostly an homage to the black-and-silver era, as those now become the dominant colors, with purple relegated to a secondary color, the numbering and the logos. The primary and secondary logos are swapped around to add some extra variety.

spacer.png

And of course, the fourth is a no-frills throwback to the original Kings colors of yellow, white and purple. The vintage crest replaces the modern crown as the primary.

• 2 weeks later...

From sunny Los Angeles, we move to the home of the Northmen and take a gander at the Québec Nordiqués.

spacer.png

The Nords were one franchise I knew I had to add to this series, as I strongly believe that they're one of the most likely places the NHL goes post-Seattle, likely tied with Houston.

As far as actual design goes, I've kept it quite restricted and very old-school; no weird curvy stripes, no odd design quirks, just a simple flat-out classic hockey jersey. I can't see Québec going particularly wild with a new franchise, so I wanted to keep it simple. Classic Nords look, vintage Nords logo. It's a blast from the past while still feeling clean and modern.

spacer.png
Naturally, the home jersey is just like its away counterpart, just with the blue and white flipped. Otherwise, it's not too remarkable.

spacer.png

The third is pretty obviously an homage to the aborted rebranding of the Nords with teal, blue, white and black making up the jersey's colors; though the 90's-as-hell dog logo is replaced with the classic Nords emblem.

Overall, these aren't too bad. I really like the idea for Tampa Bay and the Nordiques concept is a pretty good modernization of what the team wore (I'd take away 3 or 4 of the fleur-de-lis though). Gotta say, I'm not a fan of Dallas but I respect the creativity.

About the concepts as a whole, I really think you would benefit from using different variations of the template that you're currently using. The template you're using now is generally used for teams that have a square yoke or none at all. That's leading to that awkward space where the yoke on the back of the jersey doesn't line up with the sleeve striping or the continuation of the front yoke. Here's a link to Steven Grant's full library of all the different Adizero cuts. Additionally, he was generous enough to put together a colorized template for each NHL team, including their home, away, and third jerseys. 

One more thing: the logos are just a bit too big. Scale them down some and position them so that the logo would primarily rest on the player's chest, rather than reaching down to his stomach. 

Hope that helps! I look forward to seeing your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice start--my main comment is that the Lightning Jersey does not need "Tampa Bay" on it

Maybe it's just me, but spelling things out like that just doesn't work most of the time on a hockey jersey.

Nice to see a version of the old Kings jersey in this set

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Now for a franchise that isn't already posted; the Colorado Avalanche, a team who I didn't feel the need to try and rework as extensively as the Kings as I have far fewer qualms with their look.

spacer.png

I went with the alternate jersey logo here to help modernize the team's identity; the C on the shoulders is kept from the current jerseys. The traditional Avs jersey pattern is still here, too, just edited to make use of the logo's colors.

spacer.png

The home swaps the colors around, making the burgundy the main body color with dark blue and white as accent colors.

spacer.png

The third jersey is a much more straight-laced throwback design to the Rockies, colors and all.

May as well add another team that's been finished to the thread; Carolina.

spacer.png

Since we know the redesign of the Canes' away jersey, I've decided to post my own attempt to redesign the Hurricanes' jersey set. I tried to make them a bit more visually distinct from the other mainly-red teams in the league, though the arm banding is cut in favor of a full arm stripe here.

spacer.png

The home jersey is an inverted version of the away; red where white was, white where black was, black where red was. Not much else to say here, really.

spacer.png

The third is where the new away's influence is more present; the Rangers-esque wordmark down the front of the jersey and the much more old-school design style adds some interesting flavor to the Hurricanes' set of jerseys. Of course, one could also promote this jersey to get a "Storm Cloud" in the playoffs, ala the Whiteout and Sandstorm in Winnipeg and Arizona.

Of course, one could also call this the "Redneck Rangers" jersey, if they so choose. 😛

That third jersey for the 'Canes if better than the released away jersey. But what you've done for the home and road unis are just too plain. 

I like the idea behind the Avs concept but the jersey cut with the flat base of the mountain on the logo throws it off a bit. I am a huge fan of the color scheme. Since the alternate uniforms were released, I've realized that burgundy and navy is a much more appealing color combo than burgundy and "steel blue," or whatever they're calling it nowadays. You have succeeded in modernizing their look, and it's not a bad look by any means, I wouldn't be too disappointed if the Avs someday went with a design like this.

I've never actually liked any of the Kings' logos, they've never had a solid identity. That being said, I do like the jerseys themselves. The only suggestion I have would be to change the yoke on the home jersey to black. 

Also, those three updates look pretty good. I still don't care for the Dallas concept, though. The uniforms remind me of Mountain Dew; especially the third.  🙃

• 2 weeks later...

Now to add two rival teams at once; the Battle of Alberta is the next pair to be posted.

We'll start with Calgary, since it's alphabetically first;

spacer.png

Calgary's set is mostly just an attempt to rework the team's identity to both 1) keep black as part of the identity while still emphasizing red and yellow as the main colors and 2) just overall rework the team's identity to rid of some of the...less worthwhile parts of the current jerseys (the side stripes). 

Overall, this is a very traditional look that doesn't play too much with color, but it's an improvement on the existing identity. I've also ditched the flags on the shoulders in favor of the most recent secondary logo.

spacer.png

The home jersey obviously contains a lot more black, though I've kept it constrained to the edges of the jersey (shoulders, lower arms and hem) to allow red to remain the overall dominant color. Yellow and white remain accent colors, and the logo is now white on the home jerseys rather then black, with a small black outline.

spacer.png

The third remains entirely unchanged; it's the same 80's look with the updated font. No alt logos, no black, nothing to ruin the pure throwback element of the jersey.

spacer.png

Calgary's event jersey would obviously be the white counterpart to the third, since I think the white jersey looks so sharp. I forewent the colored shoulders on the jersey to try and keep them consistent with one another, and the hem stripes aren't exactly the same as the retro white, but otherwise it's quite close.

Archived