Dastardly's Designs (4/01 - MIN)

Ridleylash

After Calgary, of course I had to do the Oilers next. Edmonton is a team that has been up and down in terms of identity; here, I've tried to merge some bits to create what I believe would be a great look for them. 

spacer.png

The away isn't as noticeable in changes, aside from bringing back the outline from the late 90's-2000's logo back in the modern colors to help better define the logo. The gear is back as a secondary logo, as well.

spacer.png

The home jersey is, obviously, a complete reversion to the 2010-2017 look, with blue as the dominant color and orange as the secondary.

spacer.png

The third jersey brings the entire late 90's-2000's color scheme back, with the grey from the logo replacing most of the white.

spacer.png

Finally, the fourth jersey is the closest to the modern home; this would likely be limited to either event games (a Winter Classic) or special nights (like the Leafs' St. Pats uniform).

What would the application of the gear-droplet logo be if it doesn't appear on the sweaters? It doesn't fit with the home and road sets.

The Oilers without orange numbers look as wrong as the Blues without yellow numbers. I think it's important to have that distinction from the Islanders, but then again I don't know where you're heading with them yet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/20/2019 at 7:02 AM, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Now for a franchise that isn't already posted; the Colorado Avalanche, a team who I didn't feel the need to try and rework as extensively as the Kings as I have far fewer qualms with their look.

spacer.png

I went with the alternate jersey logo here to help modernize the team's identity; the C on the shoulders is kept from the current jerseys. The traditional Avs jersey pattern is still here, too, just edited to make use of the logo's colors.

spacer.png

The home swaps the colors around, making the burgundy the main body color with dark blue and white as accent colors.

spacer.png

The third jersey is a much more straight-laced throwback design to the Rockies, colors and all.

While I like the idea of doing a Rockies uni--the history & record of that team may not be something they want to emphasize...

But still a cool idea.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

On 9/2/2019 at 1:59 PM, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Now to add two rival teams at once; the Battle of Alberta is the next pair to be posted.

We'll start with Calgary, since it's alphabetically first;

spacer.png

Calgary's set is mostly just an attempt to rework the team's identity to both 1) keep black as part of the identity while still emphasizing red and yellow as the main colors and 2) just overall rework the team's identity to rid of some of the...less worthwhile parts of the current jerseys (the side stripes). 

Overall, this is a very traditional look that doesn't play too much with color, but it's an improvement on the existing identity. I've also ditched the flags on the shoulders in favor of the most recent secondary logo.

spacer.png

The home jersey obviously contains a lot more black, though I've kept it constrained to the edges of the jersey (shoulders, lower arms and hem) to allow red to remain the overall dominant color. Yellow and white remain accent colors, and the logo is now white on the home jerseys rather then black, with a small black outline.

spacer.png

The third remains entirely unchanged; it's the same 80's look with the updated font. No alt logos, no black, nothing to ruin the pure throwback element of the jersey.

spacer.png

Calgary's event jersey would obviously be the white counterpart to the third, since I think the white jersey looks so sharp. I forewent the colored shoulders on the jersey to try and keep them consistent with one another, and the hem stripes aren't exactly the same as the retro white, but otherwise it's quite close.

First--let me thank you for not using the flaming snot horse head

But I'd still like to see less black.

There is a good amount the away uni, but something along the same lines with the homes would be nice as well-and anytime to see some version of the originals is always cool.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

All of these have inconsistent striping patterns on the sleeves and hems. And the ones that technically match, have inconsistent sizes of the stripes. These look like they've been thrown together and unfinished. Take some more time to work on the concepts and make sure all the little details match up too. 

It would also be nice to see socks as well as some equipment...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Bump to add another team, this one having sat and been tinkered with for a while; the Ducks. Hopefully this set fixes some of the more prominent issues I've been having with design;

spacer.png

With the Ducks came an interesting challenge of merging two disparate identities; I ultimately decided on hybridizing both looks into one combination of eggplant, jade and orange, as seen in the Ducks' anniversary celebrations. I brought the old Mighty Ducks logo back in as the primary logo, while keeping the webbed D as the alternate logo for the shoulders as on the 25th anniversary jersey.

Eggplant/jade/orange is a color combination that I think would truly set the Ducks apart from every other team in the NHL, and honestly looks sharp as hell. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ducks eventually go to something like this, color wise.

spacer.png

For the dark jersey, I simply swapped colors around; eggplant makes the body while white is now a stripe and letter color. It's a clean look that ties well into the theme I've set of merging the two versions of the team's identity seamlessly.

spacer.png

The third is heavily themed around the Ducks being in Orange County, using the colors of the alternate logo to create a exceptionally stark contrast with the main jersey set. The webbed D takes the primary logo position, while the Mighty Ducks emblem goes to the shoulders. This jersey also uses the Ducks' modern font, while the main set obviously uses their original font.

Regarding the Flames, I've always thought that the ultimate flames home jersey look would allow for both the red Flaming C on a primarily red jersey.  Problem is, then the C does not stand out, getting lost in the sea of red.  

With the Ducks, I think you should pick two colours (plus white) and go with it.Eggplant/Orange works, Jade/Orange works, and Eggplant/Jade worked in the past, but all three is stepping into Mardi Gras colour territory.  Personally, I'd dig the Jade and Orange; Jade being an original Mighty Ducks colour, and Orange for repping Orange County.  Maybe darken the Jade for contrast, seeing how you (wisely) reduced the use of black in their scheme.

• Ridleylash changed the title to Dastardly's Designs (10/09 - Everybody gets an Update + ARI Added)

Hooh boy. It's been a while, and I've taken the time to really look at my sets and see what I like and what I don't about each set while upgrading them to the new templates. Some haven't changed, some have a bit, others a lot. Went through to TruColor and tried my damndest to get colors right, too.

On 9/3/2019 at 4:40 PM, chcarlson23 said:

All of these have inconsistent striping patterns on the sleeves and hems. And the ones that technically match, have inconsistent sizes of the stripes. These look like they've been thrown together and unfinished. Take some more time to work on the concepts and make sure all the little details match up too. 

It would also be nice to see socks as well as some equipment...

I'd love to add socks and equipment, but I've been fruitless in finding a set that I can use with my current template. That's definitely something I want to try down the line, though. As for the stripes, I've gone back and redone everything to finally try and nip that problem in the bud once and for all. Hopefully these all work better.

Anyways, here's the slew of revamps I've finished so far. All of them will be spoilered, to keep the post size down;

Tampa Bay Lightning:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

The main set has a new primary logo that rids of the "Tampa Bay" above it, since I ultimately didn't like how it unbalanced the logo. I nicked it from the old Lightning Foundation logo and just edited it a bit so I could get the colors to all look good.

spacer.png

The third has been changed a smidge color-wise; it now uses the Hawaiian blue in adition to black and white. The striping changes all carry over here, too.

Dallas Stars:

Spoiler

dallas_stars___away_jersey_concept_by_go

dallas_stars___home_jersey_concept_by_go

The main set sees a striping overhaul, removing the large arm stripe in favor of a more traditional set with a shoulder yoke. White's a bit more prominent now as part of the striping. Otherwise, most of it remains the same.

spacer.png

The third is similar, but I've given it a bit more polish and really tried to make a good-looking scheme.

Nashville Predators:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nashville gets the customary striping overhaul, and a shrinkage of the logo (which is now the WC logo, since I love it just so much compared to the overly-modern sabretooth they currently use).

spacer.png

The third takes advantage of the Habs' template and tweaks it to make a yellow third that feels perfect for me. Using the wordmark is an influence from the WC jerseys.

Los Angeles Kings:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Both of the home and away sets gain a much neater striping set and overall look a lot better for it. 

spacer.png

The third also benefits from changed striping, though I'm not as sold on the arm stripe as I used to be; may go back and change this one again.

spacer.png

Not much to say on the fourth; it mainly benefits from striping overhauls.

Québec Nordiques:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Nordiques probably got the biggest changeup as I began tweaking them. In addition to just using the TruColor colors, I ended up adding hem stripes ala this prototype jersey.

But then I was left with a problem; where to put the fleur-dis-lis? I knew I couldn't exclude them altogether, that's an iconic part of the set; but the way everything was laid out made it very difficult for me to keep them on the hem; they ended up cluttering the bottom too much in the back and shrinking them to fit the space rendered them really small.

Ultimately, I just decided to put them in the arm cuff as a compromise. The white jersey gets a squared-off blue yoke, as well. Thus, the secondary fleur-dis-lis logo remains consistent in both jerseys.

spacer.png

The third is mostly the same, just changes to the striping on the hem and cuffs. Other then the color tweaks, not much else to see.

Colorado Avalanche:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Colorado got probably the most minor tweak for their home and road; just changing the shade of red to their original shade. I actually really like how it plays with the dark blue.

spacer.png

The third gets the customary striping overhaul, but nothing else changes.

Carolina Hurricanes:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Carolina's jerseys are completely changed. I went back to their original jersey design here, but instead of using black I decided to implement storm gray as a main color. 

spacer.png

Naturally, the third gets the same treatment, but otherwise it's mostly the same.

Calgary Flames:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not much to say here for Calgary; I've edited the striping and reduced the amount of black in the primary set and that's about it.

Edmonton Oilers:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Oilers only got the striping changes, nothing else has been altered here.

Anaheim Ducks:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Ducks also got a striping overhaul, along with some very minor color tweaks.

And as a bit of a bonus, here's a new set; Arizona.

spacer.png

The Coyotes were a team that I knew I had a certain vision for. The Kachinas are beloved by pretty much everyone and I agree that they're an absolutely gorgeous jersey set; so I've attempted to merge both versions of the Coyotes together.

The base is the Kachina jersey with elements of their modern colors mixed in. Sand makes up the bulk of the away jersey (making for a light jersey with no actual white), with purple, brick red and black making the secondary colors and the modern shoulder patch as a secondary logo.

spacer.png

For the home, brick red becomes the dominant color, with black coming in to replace where the red used to be. The kachina patterning is now sand and purple, with some black, and the shoulders are black as well. Overall, I do like this set a lot; it feels like a pretty natural evolution for the Coyotes' set for me.

spacer.png

Naturally, though, the third is a straight up full inaugural-era throwback with hunter green included. I considered throwing the modern coyote onto this set, but the Kachina 'yote not being with this set is something I truly cannot see; they're too perfect together for me to even consider swapping out the logos.

I'll be strongly considering trying something a lot different for an event set using the modern 'yote, just to avoid using the Kachina too often.

On 8/5/2019 at 6:07 PM, DastardlyRidleylash said:

From sunny Los Angeles, we move to the home of the Northmen and take a gander at the Québec Nordiqués.

spacer.png

The Nords were one franchise I knew I had to add to this series, as I strongly believe that they're one of the most likely places the NHL goes post-Seattle, likely tied with Houston.

As far as actual design goes, I've kept it quite restricted and very old-school; no weird curvy stripes, no odd design quirks, just a simple flat-out classic hockey jersey. I can't see Québec going particularly wild with a new franchise, so I wanted to keep it simple. Classic Nords look, vintage Nords logo. It's a blast from the past while still feeling clean and modern.

spacer.png
Naturally, the home jersey is just like its away counterpart, just with the blue and white flipped. Otherwise, it's not too remarkable.

spacer.png

The third is pretty obviously an homage to the aborted rebranding of the Nords with teal, blue, white and black making up the jersey's colors; though the 90's-as-hell dog logo is replaced with the classic Nords emblem.

Your e accent isn’t correct in Québec. Should be accent aigu (é), not accent grave (è).

An accent isn’t required on Nordiques. But if you’re using the francophone translation, it’s Nordiques de Québec.

Guest darkpiranha

Nice stuff.  I especially agree with the Hurricane's using "storm grey" to differentiate them from all Devils and all the black teams.  

• Ridleylash changed the title to Dastardly's Designs (11/29 - BOS+OTT Added)

Right, another pair to go through; Boston and Ottawa.

Boston Bruins:

spacer.png

Boston was a team I was really hard-pressed to change since I think the core design is solid; most O6 teams I found it very, very difficult to mess with very much at all; the main changes for Boston are to the logos and color. Brown is back, black is out. The primary has also been slightly tweaked to remove the lines separating the B from the rest of the wheel, making it closer to the original versions of the Spoked B and generally improving it visually, in my opinion.

And of course the bear logo returns as the secondary.

spacer.png

Obviously, the home jersey is a rich brown due to the change in colors. I actually really like how it looks, though; the dark brown contrasts beautifully with the gold and white.

spacer.png

The third is mainly yellow with brown and black playing in as accents to tie into the logo, which is now the bear logo. Boston always needs at least one mainly-yellow jersey, so this was my solution. It uses a different shade of brown that's more in-line with the original Bruins brown, too.

Ottawa Senators:

spacer.png

The Senators' rebrand hasn't been particularly well-recieved, so I went back and took the updated 2D guard logo and made it the primary, keeping the same secondary while revamping the jersey to not be a holdover from the Reebok era. Gold is more prominent, too, with the in-stripe pattern from their 2000's alternate to give a little flair to the jersey.

spacer.png

The home jersey is the inverse of the third; mainly red with some white elements. Otherwise, not much to say.

spacer.png

The third ties into a bit of alternate history I have where the original Senators never folded, meaning both Senators are the same franchise. This would obviously play into that heritage element, using the O as the primary logo and having a paler and more faded color pallete to give it that aged look. The guard logo goes to the shoulders.

Of course, it also still works beautifully in the event that both Senators franchises aren't the same.

• Ridleylash changed the title to Dastardly's Designs (11/29 - CIN+HOU Added)

Time for two more redesigns that also tie into my alternate universe NHL, as these teams never actually got to join the NHL in the WHA merger; the Cincinnati Stingers and Houston Aeros!

CINCINNATI STINGERS:

spacer.png

The Cincinnati Stingers take the role of "Ohio's NHL team" from the Blue Jackets, who don't form in this universe. Instead, the Stingers adopt the original Blue Jackets Stinger logo much in the same vein as Wild Wing for the Ducks; a cartoony mascot character designed to try and appeal to a younger demographic.

These are designed to be stripy as an homage to an actual bee, while retaining a more conservative look (this ties into my in-universe explanation, which is below). Since Boston is using brown, I decided to let the Stingers have black and yellow. The C-Bee is the same, and I gave them Stinger as an alternate logo (he'd be placed on the shoulders).

spacer.png

The Stingers are unique in the alternate universe for using bright yellow as a home jersey color; no other NHL team uses yellow as a primary for their home uniform, leaving the Stingers to have a unique look. Naturally, the C-Bee remains the main logo and black and white make up the accents. Red is present only on the inside of the collar; a nod to their alternate logo.

spacer.png

This third is more of a straight throwback to the Stingers' WHA road jerseys, which were mainly black. It comes off as kind of Boston-esque, but I feel the much brighter yellow offsets this. Otherwise, not too much else to say.

HOUSTON AEROS:

spacer.png

The Aeros were a simple team for me; all I did was essentially take the AHL Aeros' jet logo, remove the "AEROS" and give it the WHA Aeros colors of navy, powder blue and white. A star is their secondary, referencing Texas' moniker of the Lone Star State. This was fairly simple as a jersey to design.

spacer.png

Powder blue makes up the dominant color of the Aeros' dark jersey, with navy and white becoming accents. I chose powder for the dark jersey since navy is a more common color; I wanted to keep the Aeros from looking too close to the Oilers.

spacer.png

The third is navy with powder blue and white striping, and the primary is now the Aeros' WHA script.

Hi sorry, but you should fix your Stars and Bruins concepts. Replace the brown with black or just darken the brown if you want keep the brown. Not a fan of triple green and red for Stars. And the infamous cow logo? No. Should’ve kept their current colours.

Sorry, but it’s only just my opinion.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

• 1 month later...

Been reworking the template I've been using to add some more equipment besides simply the jerseys, and that also let me take the time to rework certain teams whose concepts I soured on. Couldn't fit a sock template into the space I had, despite my best efforts. I may revise these again eventually if I can figure out a good way to slip socks into the template without needing to remake the entire thing.

Tampa Bay Lightning:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

The pants follow the same scheme as the jersey, but the gloves are inverted. Both jerseys use black helmets as contrast. 

spacer.png

The third is identical besides the equipment being added.

Dallas Stars:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Upon further reflection, I've ditched the triple-green concept in favor of reverting to green, black and gold. 

spacer.png

Naturally, this means the Mooterus also sees similar change.

Nashville Predators:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nashville's equipment set is somewhere I may decide to just use the away pant shell on both sets, not sure I like the navy pants on the home.

spacer.png

The third takes full use of the gold, naturally.

Los Angeles Kings:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Both of the home and away sets are virtually the same, just having equipment added.

spacer.png

The third is now a straight throwback to the 90's jersey, for those fans that like the black-and-silver look more then I do.

spacer.png

I switched up the Kings' fourth, as well. It's now mainly purple, not mainly yellow.

Québec Nordiques:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Nordiques' main set is mostly unchanged, though I've added equipment onto the set as well as tweaked the primary on the home jersey; it's now consistent with the road, more like how the Nordiques mostly had it in the NHL. (Incidentally, I also fixed the name, kudos to ScotM for correcting my admittedly-awful French grammar. 😛)

spacer.png

The third is overall the same, aside from the same logo edit the home got alongside the addition of equipment.

Colorado Avalanche:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Colorado's main set is mostly untouched aside from adding equipment to it.

spacer.png

The third is entirely different; no longer a Rockies throwback, I've decided to do a merging of the two; using the Rockies template in Avs colors, and using the state flag patch as a primary.

Carolina Hurricanes:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Carolina's jerseys are left the same, but I've added equipment to the set. 

spacer.png

Naturally, the third gets the same treatment, but otherwise it's mostly the same.

Calgary Flames:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not much to say here for Calgary; I've edited the striping and reduced the amount of black in the primary set and that's about it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aside from equipment and NOB changes, the retros are identical.

Edmonton Oilers:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

I decided to use the much brighter orange on the Oilers set, since it contrasted great with the dark blue and really popped in a way I loved. 

spacer.png

The third is unchanged aside from adding equipment.

spacer.png

The fourth is basically their current homes, which themselves are a WHA throwback. They're too bright for me to like them as home jerseys, but as a "WHA Night" jersey or something similar, these work.

Anaheim Ducks:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Ducks, aside from equipment additions, don't really get changed that much. The home's logo adds some silver to make the triangle pop more, but that's kinda it.

Arizona Coyotes:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Coyotes' set is relatively untouched aside from adding equipment. I tweaked the NOB slightly in regards to the numbers and front letters on the main jersey. 

Boston Bruins:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Bruins get equipment additions and not much else.

Ottawa Senators:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aside from added equipment, the Senators are identical.

Cincinnati Stingers:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Stingers only got equipment additions, and that's all.

Houston Aeros:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Same thing with the Aeros; equipment additions and not much else.

• Ridleylash changed the title to Dastardly's Designs (3/21 - ATL)

Bumping again to put up another concept; the Atlanta Thrashers!

spacer.png

I went with the idea of the Thrashers taking their original jerseys and tweaking them for the switch to Adidas here.

spacer.png

Naturally, the home jersey is very similar to their inaugural dark jersey except for the logo being consistent across both home and road jerseys.

spacer.png

The thirds are fairly obviously based on the team's original thirds, though simplified somewhat.

• Ridleylash changed the title to Dastardly's Designs (4/01 - MIN)

Onwards to the north and the State of Hockey, you only need to look at the night sky to find this team; the Minnesota North Stars!

spacer.png

This jersey combines elements of Dallas (the jersey cut) and elements of Minnesota (colors, logos) into one cohesive look. I think there's room in the NHL for more unorthodox cuts in jerseys, and one hardly gets more iconic then the star-cut jersey for the Stars franchise. The cut is simplified slightly, though, in that there's only one stripe making up the cut instead of two. I actually really like how it looks with just the single stripe.

spacer.png

The colors are flipped for the home jersey; white is now a tertiary color, while green and black take center stage.

spacer.png

The third was heavily inspired by college hockey uniforms, which I wanted to play into given Minnesota's prevalence as a college hockey state. It uses the 90's workmark in a Rangers-esque fashion, like a lot of college teams do. It also uses the retro colors, eliminating black entirely outside of the secondary logo on the shoulders.

Fantastic work so far, however there are a few areas in which I believe there could be some improvements to the overall design. 

#1. Incorporate shoulder patch logos into the jersey concept directly, adding in a shoulder patch logo to a majority of the concepts you've made will bring the feel of the concept to a more finished and completed look.

#2. Add team logos to the pants and helmet, once again using logos on the helmet is a huge part of a uniform for a team, it also presents opportunities for use of alternate logos that may have not been able to be used on the front or shoulders of the jerseys allowing for further design choice and concept creativity.

#3. Some of the jerseys seem to be just re-hashed versions of jerseys worn by teams in the past just different colors used to redefine their look. I think using your proposed color schemes in a completely new original design could make for a consistency throughout the jersey. As you won't be battling with a teams previous identity to make it look individualistic.

Archived