dealing with dreaded monochrome in soccer: Tottenham concepts

_RH_

Watching Tottenham today got me thinking about ways to give soccer teams more combination options, while at the same time making their monochrome looks a little more interesting.  I think a "cummerbund" stripe might be the answer:

34etjq9.png

I'm not sure if I'm happy with the socks though, maybe a solid color would look better.

41 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

Watching Tottenham today got me thinking about ways to give soccer teams more combination options, while at the same time making their monochrome looks a little more interesting.  I think a "cummerbund" stripe might be the answer:

34etjq9.png

I'm not sure if I'm happy with the socks though, maybe a solid color would look better.

I don't think these work without some sort of a pattern. When the shorts match the bottom of the shirt it looks like he's hiked up his shorts to mimic Ed Grimley. 

edgrimly.0.jpg

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Haha fair enough... I actually thought when I first saw pictures of Spurs that the real thing would have that issue too.  For some reason I never noticed it in real life though.

When you say pattern, I guess I'm thinking the shorts would need the same pattern to make it look symmetric.  Not a fan of the gradient not going "down" on the real ones.

I was thinking if the shorts included the stripe too it may lead to some bad combos at the waist (non matching), but maybe it'd be better to have the stripe entirely on the shorts.

1 hour ago, _RH_ said:

Haha fair enough... I actually thought when I first saw pictures of Spurs that the real thing would have that issue too.  For some reason I never noticed it in real life though.

When you say pattern, I guess I'm thinking the shorts would need the same pattern to make it look symmetric.  Not a fan of the gradient not going "down" on the real ones.

I was thinking if the shorts included the stripe too it may lead to some bad combos at the waist (non matching), but maybe it'd be better to have the stripe entirely on the shorts.

I think if you look at something like the bomb pop jerseys and used that for the shorts you could do something similar with the shorts. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Hmm well I tried moving the stripe to the shorts but wasn't happy with it.  I don't know if it's the proportions, or the stripe landing right in the crotch, but something just didn't seem right.  I also didn't want the stripe across both the jersey and shorts because then if the stripe is different colors on the two pieces it'll look goofy... I tried redoing the proportions on the jersey and don't think it looks quite so "high waisted" now:

2s7h0ya.png

Perhaps the solid socks are a little too bland:

j952l4.png

Archived