kimball

Forgotten History: Name Changes, Logos, Relocation Rumors, etc.

On 6/8/2019 at 9:53 AM, insert name said:

Can someone confirm if this was ever a thing? I remember someone telling me a rumor when Trump was looking into to buying the Buffalo Bills, that one of his plans were to move them to Flushing. This was when the Bills’ future in Buffalo looked uncertain. I didn’t believe it because I thought it was ridiculous story. 

Trump did try to buy the Bills, as did a group of Toronto investors fronted by Jon Bon Jovi.  The Bon Jovi group had plans to move the team to Toronto.  Trump stated he planned to keep the team in Buffalo, but nobody here really believed that would really happen.  LA and Vegas were still on the table as possible destinations at that point.  Luckily for Bills fans the Pegulas came through and bought the team, keeping them here for the foreseeable future.

https://www.gq.com/story/donald-trump-shady-scheme-to-buy-nfl-buffalo-bills

On 6/7/2019 at 9:05 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Leonard Tose had a handshake agreement to sell 25% of the Eagles to a Phoenix investor and move the team to Phoenix.  It was a done deal - at least between the two parties - to the point where he and his family were scouting schools and planning relocation.  He had insane gambling debts and needed to do whatever he could to keep the team, and agreed to sell part out of desparation.  

Only thing that kept them was the threat of a lawsuit by the league and city (league said that he couldn't move without a vote of other owners... as we've heard before), and the city ended up bending over so he could earn more revenue at the Vet.  He eventually incurred more losses and had no choice but to sell the team to a total waste of skin and teeth Norman Braman, who was such a bad owner, he's literally the reason the players sued for free agency.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/hp/sports/20090114_Looking_back_to_when_Eagles_almost_went_to_Arizona.html

EDIT:

I was too young to know about any of this when it was happening, but if something similar happened now and the team left and then we got a new team, I'd have no desire to root for the Philadelphia Phlash or whatever dumb name they'd have.  I'd want another Philadelphia Eagles, and I'd tell my brain to just conveniently forget about the true franchise lineage and technicalities.  I've turned 180 degrees on the Cleveland Deal, and realized that none of this sports stuff is so serious that technicalities that have no real impact should prevent anyone for rooting for "their" team... even if it isn't technically their team.

It didn't turn out to be a big deal in the long run, but the USFL Philadelphia Stars moved to Baltimore shortly before all of this came about.  The Stars knew they wouldn't be able to compete head-to-head with the Eagles when the USFL moved to the fall in 1986 and Baltimore had just lost the Colts.  Had the move to Phoenix been discussed earlier and/or come to fruition, the Stars may have stayed in Philadelphia.

On 6/7/2019 at 12:09 PM, OnWis97 said:
  • NHL
    • The North Stars 1993 move was certainly not out of the blue.  They had threatened to move earlier.  Instead their previous owners (the Gunds, I think) were awarded an expansion team in San Jose and were able to take some North Stars (mostly minor-leaguers) with them.
    • This is way, way before my time, but at some point in the later 1970s, the North Stars absorbed the Cleveland Barons...or maybe "absorbed" is not the right word, because I think the Gunds owned the Barons (they owned the Cavs, anyway).  In any case, the two teams merged as the North Stars.

The story is that Cleveland and Minnesota merged in 1978.  When the Gunds wanted to return to the Bay Area in 1990 the NHL created this complicated scheme that was termed as basically reversing the merge.  The Sharks were created (essentially the Seals/Barons 2.0) and the Gunds were allowed to raid some Minnesota contracts and staff for the new team.  In exchange, both Minnesota and San Jose got to take part in the expansion draft.

The North Stars almost moved to Anaheim to become the Los Angeles Stars. Then Disney bought an expansion franchise there, so they moved to Dallas instead.

I vaguely recall the Ducks being in the Kansas City queue at some point.

Los Angeles Stars is a great team name, oh well. 

9 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

The North Stars almost moved to Anaheim to become the Los Angeles Stars. Then Disney bought an expansion franchise there, so they moved to Dallas instead.

I vaguely recall the Ducks being in the Kansas City queue at some point.

I remember the rumours that Dallas was going to change their name to the Lone Stars after the move from Minnesota.  Ended up settling on Stars instead.  Good choice.

9 minutes ago, Wade Heidt said:

I remember the rumours that Dallas was going to change their name to the Lone Stars after the move from Minnesota.  Ended up settling on Stars instead.  Good choice.

Eh I wouldn’t have minded lone stars, it’s a little more unique and area specific. It would probably mean no green though.

1 hour ago, Wade Heidt said:

1 hour ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Eh I wouldn’t have minded lone stars, it’s a little more unique and area specific. It would probably mean no green though.

Lone Stars doesn't make any sense.  

“There’s three of you.  You’re not exactly ‘Lone’.”

1 hour ago, Wade Heidt said:

Indeed. Lone Stars is a terrible name, almost as terrible as the suggestion to rename the Wild as the "North Stars" while citing the Red Sox/White Sox coexistence as a reason why it's OK. Red Sox/White Sox was basically grandfathered into the modern branding world. It's not something that should be imitated. This line of logic also ignores that both Sox teams have wildly different color schemes and identities, unlike a prospective North Stars team and the Dallas Stars.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:39 PM, jrodsep said:

Does anyone remember the supposed move of the Timberwolves to New Orleans in the mid-90's? And the names floating around of Loup-Garou and Rhythm. 

I was led to believe they would be called the "Louisiana Purchase" and have dollar bill logos.

Early in Jerry Jones’ ownership of the Cowboys he attempted to change the world famous cheerleader uniforms. I can’t find a pic, but I recall sequins and a star shaped cut out near the cleavage area. Much backlash stopped the change and the classics have remained ever since.

spacer.png

I'll have to dig through my files for the exact dates, but there were a lot of potential franchise moves in the NBA in the early 80s.

Around '82 there were reports that due to too many teams losing too much money several teams would fold, with others merging or relocating - I remember that the Kings, Clippers and Pacers were on the chopping block, with the Nuggets and Jazz merging and playing in Denver. This was around the same time Ted Stepian was planning to move the Cavs to Toronto (as the Towers). 

The Spurs were also exploring relocation around 1985, with Miami as the top option. The league had been trying to get a team in Florida since the late 1970s - the Buffalo Braves had planned to move there before ultimately moving to San Diego in a convoluted franchise swap with the Celtics.

The Sacramento Kings famously almost moved to Seattle, to resurrect the Sonics. The Kings were courting several possible locations, including Anaheim and Virginia Beach. This appears to be a fan-created concept, but I kind of dig it!

spacer.png

Tampa in the 80's and Early 90's: "We want a Major League Baseball Team and we will do anything to get it.

MLB after 1993 Expansion: "You will be under consideration for expansion next time."

MLB in 1998: Congrats on your new team Tampa!

Tampa in 1998: We finally have a Major League Baseball team.

2 Decades Later.

MLB in 2019 when talking about Baseball In Tampa: We've made a huge mistake! (Simon and Garfunkel's Sound of Silence is played)

Tampa in 2019: We can get a new ballpark.  That's all we need.  We will be successful.

Tampa Bay Rays in 2019: Anyone know the area code to Portland?  Or Montreal?  Or the Carolinas? 

On 6/9/2019 at 6:28 PM, Scrumptious Ham said:

The Toronto Giants identity gives off a Japanese baseball vibe.  

Or an Australian football team.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:07 PM, jgladding74 said:

The Sacramento Kings famously almost moved to Seattle, to resurrect the Sonics. The Kings were courting several possible locations, including Anaheim and Virginia Beach. This appears to be a fan-created concept, but I kind of dig it!

spacer.png

A team named the Virginia Beach Kings could definitely work with something related to the King Neptune statue in the center of town.

spacer.png