2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Digby

Should they limit the GD that can be earned in any one game?  Like say that the max is 6, so 6-0 and 13-0 are essentially the same.  There's no competitive need to put up 13 goals against a team that while playing their best, simply wants the clock to expire.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Should they limit the GD that can be earned in any one game?  Like say that the max is 6, so 6-0 and 13-0 are essentially the same.  There's no competitive need to put up 13 goals against a team that while playing their best, simply wants the clock to expire.

Nope. They don't do it in hockey, why start with it in soccer? Germany men destroyed Estonia 8-0 today. San Marino and other European minnows get thumped routinely by the big boys in UEFA and it's not been a big deal until today. It sucks getting beat that bad, I've been a part of some 8+ goal whoopings, but the easiest way to keep that from happening is to keep the ball out of the net not to ask the other guy to let off the gas.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yeah, it's almost inevitable that something like this happens in early rounds of certain tournaments, be it the WWC or some men's regional tournaments... just how the game has ended up and it's where we're at. In this particular case when it's basically inevitable that Sweden and the USA are going to compete, should it come down to which team decides to take it easy on the minnows first? Or cap the GD and go to some other possibly arbitrary tiebreak? 

Mostly I suspect this is becoming DISCOURSE tonight because it's the USWNT and that's what happens.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

46 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Cap it at a nice round 10, which in soccer scoring may as well be a million. Nothing of consequence should come of only having wrecked a bunch of just-happy-to-be-theres 10-0 instead of 13-0. I don't think this kind of disparity between teams was what anyone had in mind. 

34 minutes ago, Digby said:

Mostly I suspect this is becoming DISCOURSE tonight because it's the USWNT and that's what happens.

Yes and no, but it's not as if the most dominant women's sports program in the world is some poor put-upon victim. How do you think the rest of the world is treating a bunch of Americans acting like...well, a bunch of Americans? Probably not flapping their arms and yelling YAAS QUEEN about it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Yeah, it's almost inevitable that something like this happens in early rounds of certain tournaments, be it the WWC or some men's regional tournaments... just how the game has ended up and it's where we're at. In this particular case when it's basically inevitable that Sweden and the USA are going to compete, should it come down to which team decides to take it easy on the minnows first? Or cap the GD and go to some other possibly arbitrary tiebreak? 

TSN seemed to be leading the charge on this as well. If Canada is doing this are they as angry about it? Is Fox as angry? Sometimes people will excuse this for some teams but not others. If this was the Brazil men thumping Cuba do we make as big a noise about this?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Is this what it's like to be annoyed by people injecting politics into sports?

Can't 13-0 just be 13-0? Does it have to mean something?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

24 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Is this what it's like to be annoyed by people injecting politics into sports?

Can't 13-0 just be 13-0? Does it have to mean something?

It's less politics and more people trying to enforce their view on what sportsmanship should look like. Just looking at Twitter you can see a line drawn based on where in the world some people are.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

35 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

TSN seemed to be leading the charge on this as well. If Canada is doing this are they as angry about it? Is Fox as angry? Sometimes people will excuse this for some teams but not others. If this was the Brazil men thumping Cuba do we make as big a noise about this?

Rob Stone really wasn't pleased.

Sidenote.  Was it necessary to actually play the minutes of Extra Time in either half?

Yeah the stoppage time was bizarre; wondered if there’s a FIFA oversight in effect there. On the other hand 3 minutes seems like understating it, so then why do any at all?

The Fox studio show is brutal and seems like they’re quite clearly trying to engage the casuals with drama and outrage and villainizing. (See also the discussion about Ada Hegerberg earlier this tournament, on which no one needs Alexi Lalas’s thoughts.) I really wish NBC Sports had rights to more soccer.

47 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The rest of the world would absolutely be having a cow if our men's team ran around screaming like idiots at 9-0, tacked on goals in stoppage time, and finished up 13-0 on an unworthy adversary in the first prelim game of an overexpanded World Cup. In reality, it would never happen, because men's international soccer doesn't have that kind of disparity at this level, and because the USMNT isn't good enough to do that to anyone, anyway. But you can bet we'd be hearing a lot about Ugly Americans ruining The Beautiful Game. 

Did anyone tell Germany they should have dialed it back when they walloped Brazil 7-0? In the semifinals of the World Cup in Brazil?

Feels like there's a healthy dose of paternalism going on here. Scoring national team goals really matters. A lot. Alex Morgan should score 5 more the next game.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 minutes ago, Digby said:

Yeah the stoppage time was bizarre; wondered if there’s a FIFA oversight in effect there. On the other hand 3 minutes seems like understating it, so then why do any at all?

The Fox studio show is brutal and seems like they’re quite clearly trying to engage the casuals with drama and outrage and villainizing. (See also the discussion about Ada Hegerberg earlier this tournament, on which no one needs Alexi Lalas’s thoughts.) I really wish NBC Sports had rights to more soccer.

His thoughts come from Fox, that's why he routinely finds himself on the wrong side of arguments which I think is his attempt at being a soccer hipster. 

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The rest of the world would absolutely be having a cow if our men's team ran around screaming like idiots at 9-0, tacked on goals in stoppage time, and finished up 13-0 on an unworthy adversary in the first prelim game of an overexpanded World Cup. In reality, it would never happen, because men's international soccer doesn't have that kind of disparity at this level, and because the USMNT isn't good enough to do that to anyone, anyway. But you can bet we'd be hearing a lot about Ugly Americans ruining The Beautiful Game. 

But would they treat Brazil the same? Depending on who's broadcasting it, I can see it being spun as a celebration of Jogo Bonito instead of poor sportsmanship. Would Mexico get treated the same as Brazil? Probably not because most of Central America look at Mexico as a bully.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

And if you’re the likes of Mewis or Horan, there’s no guarantee you’ll score a World Cup goal ever again (well there isn’t for any of them, but I’m confident in the futures for Mal Pugh and Rose Lavelle). I don’t think they should have to repress the joy at achieving that career peak at that moment in time.

At the same time, everyone else probably already thought the USWNT are a bunch of privileged arrogant dweebs and now there’s more fuel for that fire I guess. That’s also fine! Such is competition.

for the record celebrations are good and I think it’s hilarious when Cristiano Ronaldo pulls his demigod act on the field too.

5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

But would they treat Brazil the same? Depending on who's broadcasting it, I can see it being spun as a celebration of Jogo Bonito instead of poor sportsmanship. Would Mexico get treated the same as Brazil? Probably not because most of Central America look at Mexico as a bully.

Do the Palestinian Territories field a team? If they do, they probably suck for very good reasons, and if they got into a World Cup they shouldn't have gotten into and got stomped by Brazil 13-0 in group play while the Brazilians hooted and screamed at 9-0 with fifteen-some minutes to play, I'm sure lots of people around the world would find it quite unbecoming. 

Hockey has even worse global inequity than soccer and women's hockey is orders of magnitude worse than men's. Same deal there: I'd hope no one on either side ends up showing up some woebegone team from Mongolia or whatever.

Just now, the admiral said:

Do the Palestinian Territories field a team? If they do, they probably suck for very good reasons, and if they got into a World Cup they shouldn't have gotten into and got stomped by Brazil 13-0 in group play while the Brazilians hooted and screamed at 9-0 with fifteen-some minutes to play, I'm sure lots of people around the world would find it quite unbecoming. 

I wouldn't. As long as they aren't going up to the other team and screaming at them, I'm fine with it. I've been on the losing side of those butt whoopings. You take it and get ready for the next game. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I just learned about this today:

And this:

Blowouts happen. I really don't see the issue with the US scoring a bunch.

Also, I was in error earlier; Germany beat Brazil 7-1, not 7-0.

I don't see any Germans pirouetting and sliding around on their asses for going up 9-0 on the Most Serene Republic of San Marino. I'm not even sure Germans pirouette and slide around on their asses for anything.

Also I think there will always be disagreements on the celebrations on social media, sure, fine ... but all the pearl clutching from the pundits is what gets me. I just watched the Canadian studio clip and you’d think Rapinoe chugged a bottle of wine and gave the Thai bench double birds, the way they were “think of the children”ing about it.

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's less politics and more people trying to enforce their view on what sportsmanship should look like. Just looking at Twitter you can see a line drawn based on where in the world some people are.  

I always feel like sportmanship is playing normally untill the end no matter the score, wich is what the USWNT did. If they "showed mercy" and stopped trying to score at all, that would be rude an unsportman-like. This is comming from a guy that saw his country lose 7-1 at home at a WC semifinal, and felt it should have been way more.

Archived