2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Digby

The US is one of those countries, in which we expect our athletes to win everything. However (and the Olympics are a great example) when an American athlete fails to win, we are like "you didn't win any medals, but you did us proud representing our country."  We do that to every athlete who doesn't medal coming out of the Olympics. Most do not become the subject of ridicule even if they don't win anything.  I assume it's the same in the Western countries as well.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Frankly, I'll fully admit that this is influenced by our political climate more than anything else (but there are other contributing factors as well), but I'm so tired of all the toxic nationalism and jingoism that goes into supporting your national team. I support the United States because, you know, I'm "supposed" to because, by nothing more than the accident of birth, I was born in this country and not someplace else like, for instance, my father was. National team competitions bring out the absolute worst in people. 

It's to the point now where I can't even remember the last time I "rooted" for a US team to win over anyone else. Maybe the 2014 Olympic hockey game against Russia? And you can spin an anti-Russian angle on that as easily as anything else. Any of these various hockey or soccer tournaments, frankly, let the best team win unless it's another country that I actively dislike. I find all the flag and eagle .gif's and various other assorted nonsense that comes out when a US team wins a tournament (or beats Canada in hockey) to be just as annoying as literally anything else anyway. 

The United States is the greatest country on earth. You know why? Because we can't be content in the "knowledge" of that; we have to beat it over everyone else's heads repeatedly even if no one asked and no one disputed that being the case or not. Based on that, I just can't imagine why the rest of the world hates this country.

This is one of those "yes and no" situations for me. I always think that national teams represent the country and its people, not its government. That separation is a thing that other soccer nations seem to be better at. Like last year at the World Cup when all of England had a feel-good story in the tabloids when they were making their World Cup run while the government fell apart around them (also no comfort to the other Home Nations, but). 

That said, you're totally right about the weird jingoistic strains of fandom, at least for Americans. I think that "America f--- yeah" ironic nationalism (that maybe isn't so ironic!) really started with the American Outlaws many election cycles ago, though, rather than being tied to the post-2016 political climate. The Outlaws' whole deal with being the most annoying frat party for dudes in their 30s is obnoxious and why I want no part of them, but I'm still happy to root for the team and do my drinking without them.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

That was hysterical. Pretty nutty game, too, and I’m glad it turned out the way it did because I was expecting Australia to go pretty deep in this tournament, and it was looking dicey through 1 and a half games.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

18 hours ago, Needschat said:

FIFA isn't MLS or USL.  They mandate it be played out

The referee put on three extra minutes but she didn't have to. She could have added one minute and blew the whistle after say 30 seconds and no would be the wiser.

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

The referee put on three extra minutes but she didn't have to. She could have added one minute and blew the whistle after say 30 seconds and no would be the wiser.

The time added is based on stoppages for subs and goals scored. The standard time added per substitution and goal scored is 30 seconds so they actually added significantly less than that with 10 goals and 6 subs taking place. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The time added is based on stoppages for subs and goals scored. The standard time added per substitution and goal scored is 30 seconds so they actually added significantly less than that with 10 goals and 6 subs taking place. 

She wasn't contractualy required to do it.

4 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

She wasn't contractualy required to do it.

If a ref doesn't do that, it's a negative mark on them. Not contractually required  but it would be held against her in review.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Chile has placed the game specific branding on the back of their jerseys instead of the front. It's different and I like it if the jersey is being displayed on a wall which may be why they did it?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Scotland just went from 3-0 up with 73 minutes gone to a 3-3 tie, knocking them and Argentina out of the World Cup.To go from a slight chance of knockout football to start packing your bags . . . . that's pretty sad. VAR decision hurts but they didn't take care of business on the first tow goals that likely already put them out. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Scotland just went from 3-0 up with 73 minutes gone to a 3-3 tie, knocking them and Argentina out of the World Cup.To go from a slight chance of knockout football to start packing your bags . . . . that's pretty sad. VAR decision hurts but they didn't take care of business on the first tow goals that likely already put them out. 

Argentina isn't out of it yet. At 2 points, they're on the edge as the last team in among the 3rd place teams. They need both the Cameroon-New Zealand game AND the Thailand-Chile game to end in draws to move on. Anyone of those four teams win and they're out.

The best odds of moving on go to whoever wins the Cameroon-New Zealand game as the winner could not only jump past Argentina, but potentially jump past Nigeria in the rankings thanks to goal differential.

59 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Argentina isn't out of it yet. At 2 points, they're on the edge as the last team in among the 3rd place teams. They need both the Cameroon-New Zealand game AND the Thailand-Chile game to end in draws to move on. Anyone of those four teams win and they're out.

The best odds of moving on go to whoever wins the Cameroon-New Zealand game as the winner could not only jump past Argentina, but potentially jump past Nigeria in the rankings thanks to goal differential.

BBC originally stated both were out. I also can't see Chile drawing with Thailand.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

BBC originally stated both were out. I also can't see Chile drawing with Thailand.

Well, they got it wrong.

As of right now, Brazil and China are the only two assured in among the 3rd place teams. Nigeria has 3 points and Argentina has 2 points with Cameroon and Chile (the current 3rd place teams in Group E and Group F) are at 0 points.

Nigeria would secure a spot in the Round of 16 if one of the games ends in a draw. Argentina would secure a spot if both games end in a draw. The winner of the Cameroon-New Zealand game would secure a spot and would, at minimum, knock out Argentina. The winner of Thailand-Chile could also sneak in if the Cameroon-New Zealand game ends in a draw... which means that, yes, Thailand still has a chance to reach the Round of 16 after getting blasted 13-0 by the Americans.

I was at the game.  It was friggin' hot.

Spain certainly came out and executed a gameplan:  Disrupt.  They played a tough, physical game which worked.... and also backfired a little since they gave up two penalties.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived