2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

Digby

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN and the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL), the preeminent professional women’s soccer league in the United States featuring more than 55 players competing in the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup, announced today an agreement to televise 14 league matches during the 2019 season. Eight matches will air on ESPNEWS, and the remaining six, including the two semifinals and the championship, will air on ESPN2.

NWSL telecasts will begin Sunday, July 14, at 3 p.m. ET on ESPNEWS, with a matchup of the Portland Thorns vs. Orlando Pride, live from Portland’s Providence Park. Portland’s roster features U.S. Women’s National Team stars Tobin Heath, Lindsey Horan and Canadian captain Christine Sinclair, while Orlando’s stars include six-time FIFA Player of the Year and Brazil captain Marta and standout striker Alex Morgan. The NWSL Championship will air Sunday, Oct. 27, at 4 p.m. on ESPN2, with tickets going on sale this month. All NWSL match telecasts on ESPN networks will stream live on the ESPN App.

More: https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2019/07/espn-signs-media-rights-agreement-with-national-womens-soccer-league-for-second-half-of-2019-season/

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48885876

FIFA has just floated the idea of expanding the Women's World Cup to 32 teams in 2023, with the carrot of doubling the money being handed out this year. Based off of some group stage games I would say that's a bad idea, but if FIFA thinks they can make money, they'll do it. Infantino also is proposing a Women's Club World Cup, to start as soon as possible. If it's held during the summer, I wonder what that means for NWSL sides that have players that switch between the USA and other leagues around the world. IF they bump up to 32 they also say that means the bidding may start all over again. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I tend to agree with the argument that WWC at 32 teams is a good idea (assuming a greater-than-proportionate increase in prize money) because it will encourage more federations to invest in/support their women's teams.

The World Nations League concept sounds good to me too -- I hate the break of two summers between important tournaments for the women's game, it's nice that they get more serious Olympic soccer but the lack of meaningful continental tournaments is a bummer. A Nations League sort of thing seems to make more sense here than it does for the men's game, and I'd be happy to say goodbye to all the silly faux-tournaments that the USSF books to fill time.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 minutes ago, Digby said:

I tend to agree with the argument that WWC at 32 teams is a good idea (assuming a greater-than-proportionate increase in prize money) because it will encourage more federations to invest in/support their women's teams.

The World Nations League concept sounds good to me too -- I hate the break of two summers between important tournaments for the women's game, it's nice that they get more serious Olympic soccer but the lack of meaningful continental tournaments is a bummer. A Nations League sort of thing seems to make more sense here than it does for the men's game, and I'd be happy to say goodbye to all the silly faux-tournaments that the USSF books to fill time.

I always wondered why Concacaf didn't set up a women's Gold Cup. With the US, Canada, Jamaica and Mexico being the best teams in the region, they should be trying to get more nations built up to take the next step. For the US, playing tope Europeans teams and Japan is better for them right now, but it doesn't help the rest of the region. This is one time where copying what UEFA does might be a good thing. CONMEBOL is in even worse shape and I think a Club World Cup would be dominated by Europe and Asia, much like the men's is dominated by UEFA and occasionally CONMEBOL.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I always wondered why Concacaf didn't set up a women's Gold Cup. With the US, Canada, Jamaica and Mexico being the best teams in the region, they should be trying to get more nations built up to take the next step. For the US, playing tope Europeans teams and Japan is better for them right now, but it doesn't help the rest of the region. This is one time where copying what UEFA does might be a good thing. CONMEBOL is in even worse shape and I think a Club World Cup would be dominated by Europe and Asia, much like the men's is dominated by UEFA and occasionally CONMEBOL.

I completely agree and have wondered the same thing. It annoys me that Concacaf just brands the World Cup qualifiers as the regional tournament for women; it reads as a complete lack of effort or dedication to mash them together like that.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

14 minutes ago, Digby said:

I completely agree and have wondered the same thing. It annoys me that Concacaf just brands the World Cup qualifiers as the regional tournament for women; it reads as a complete lack of effort or dedication to mash them together like that.

The fact that the US doesn't have to make those trips to Guatemala, Honduras or the Caribbean hurts Concacaf too. Imagine the crowds in Havana if the US shows up to play Cuba, or in Tegucigalpa if Mexico is coming to town?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, Digby said:

32 is also probably a good idea for where the game in Europe is now, considering that the Netherlands were the playoff qualifier, and the Euro 2017 runners-up missed the World Cup entirely. As the game continues to get better in Europe, expansion of the field will also get more of the world’s best teams to the final tournament.

6fQjS3M.png

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

I think I’d prefer an arched four, at least in my head.

but more importantly where do I order a men’s size one?

When the men's team win 4 world cups? 

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived