Sign in to follow this  
charger77

Air Force One Concepts

Recommended Posts

Mods, please remove if this is not permitted.

 

President Trump has shown some mock-ups of the potential new paint job for Air Force One.

 

trump_af1_embed_hpEmbed_16x9_608.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically just an inverted version of his plane? 

 

I like the current design better. This looks like something a commercial airline would have used in the 90s. The light blue is iconic and can be easily recognized. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that it does make more sense for the flagship of the nation to have the nation's actual colors instead of having random light blue like '80s road baseball uniforms.  Let's just be glad that it's still tasteful and doesn't have gradient bald eagles all over the thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 10:29 AM, LMU said:

I will say that it does make more sense for the flagship of the nation to have the nation's actual colors instead of having random light blue like '80s road baseball uniforms.  Let's just be glad that it's still tasteful and doesn't have gradient bald eagles all over the thing.

I just read in an article that it was Kennedy's decision to make it that color which is why they want to hold on to it. Or rather have not changed it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2019 at 10:21 AM, VDizzle12 said:

Basically just an inverted version of his plane? 

 

I like the current design better. This looks like something a commercial airline would have used in the 90s. The light blue is iconic and can be easily recognized. 

 

Or British Airways livery from 1984-1997 as Lucky from One Mile At A Time points out.

 

British-Airways-Landor-747-7.jpg

 

rGj5yR3.jpg

 

For reference, this was the previous livery.

nu3Ivxw.jpg

 

Or his former airline's livery:

DW7Y5vl.jpg

Edited by dfwabel
Photo added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the design.  It's more sleek, but still traditional looking.

 

Of course all the Never-Trumps are criticizing it because it's similar to his personal airplane livery inverted, or the White-Red-Blue looks like the Russian flag.  But talking purely design, it's a major upgrade.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

I like the design.  It's more sleek, but still traditional looking.

 

Of course all the Never-Trumps are criticizing it because it's similar to his personal airplane livery inverted, or the White-Red-Blue looks like the Russian flag.  But talking purely design, it's a major upgrade.  

I couldn't agree more;

 

Now I have to ask the question: why isn't the fleet getting update to 787s?

 

Is it a size requirement that this has to be the inefficient and outdated 747?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bowski said:

I couldn't agree more;

 

Now I have to ask the question: why isn't the fleet getting update to 787s?

 

Is it a size requirement that this has to be the inefficient and outdated 747?

Even with an ETOPS 777 doesn't meet Air Force main requirements: four engines and seating for 70. There's a safety advantage in using a 748i as well as the two additional engines are needed to power all the equipment on board.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's okay, I guess. I like the colors more, but the blue still feels too dark, and I think the current over-the-nose paint job looks great. Maybe a recoloring of that would be better?

 

Also, at the risk of being called an SJW libtard cuck, I think it does look a bit too much like Trump's personal planes. Given that kind of history, I think it's best for the president to try to keep their personal stuff and their political stuff separate. Not that the proposed design is bad, but just that any kind of personal connection can come across ass too unprofessional, or even a conflict of interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, charger77 said:

President Trump has shown some mock-ups of the potential new paint job for Air Force One.

 

trump_af1_embed_hpEmbed_16x9_608.jpg

I'm surprised that each president coming in hasn't considered coming up with their own specific livery. It may just be me, but as much time as they spend coming up with election logos I'm surprised they wouldn't consider new paint jobs. Granted, the cost of that paint is probably why they keep the same designs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is surprisingly tasteful.  I expected it to look like as if a Toby Keith concert poster had a lovechild with a Dale Earnhardt Jr. car at Daytona.    Clearly he did not design it himself.  Let's give him credit, it is a fine looking plane. He will never fly in it, but it is a nice looking plane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm surprised that each president coming in hasn't considered coming up with their own specific livery. It may just be me, but as much time as they spend coming up with election logos I'm surprised they wouldn't consider new paint jobs. Granted, the cost of that paint is probably why they keep the same designs.

It is better that the plane represent the office, not the individual.  You get too close to campaign finance laws vs. government tax money. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it. Clean and patriotic without looking murica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 9:03 AM, MJWalker45 said:

I'm surprised that each president coming in hasn't considered coming up with their own specific livery. It may just be me, but as much time as they spend coming up with election logos I'm surprised they wouldn't consider new paint jobs. Granted, the cost of that paint is probably why they keep the same designs.

 

They used to.  In fact they each used to name the plane for their terms.  Truman's was "Independence", Eisenhower named it "Columbine". Kennedy just never bothered to name it so it became "Air Force One".  Nixon tried to rename it "Spirit of 76" but that never took.

 

But they also used to have different paint schemes for the plane:

 

9b89458465bcbb992dc65fd1ec6b5e9f?AccessK

 

1458921448-fullsizerender.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know where to grab a good PSD template? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the surface, it's a good, albeit generic, livery. It'll get confused at a distance with a thousand airlines out there - Delta, British, US Airways, etc. Nothing distinctive about it, though nothing bad about it either.

 

But I can't be the only one who thinks Air Force One is an absolute design classic. A perfect slice of 1960s Americana that holds up extraordinarily well today. Much like Dodger Stadium, which features some similar colors.

 

spacer.png

 

It's recognizable the world over, and very unique. I'd imagine whoever Trump's successor is - should that person be a Democrat - will wind up changing it back to this color scheme to get away from what'll inevitably be known as the "Trump livery."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this