Watford FC to get (or vote on) new logo

agentrygraphics

From Footyheadlines.com:

English Premier League club Watford FC has invited fans to redesign the club's crest, with a view to possibly replacing it. An email was sent out to supporters on Tuesday asking fans to submit their designs for a logo that could "best represent Watford FC in the future."

After all designs have been collected, supporters will have the opportunity to vote on which they think is best out of six different options, including the five best fan designs and the current crest.

The email said that the idea was to make the club "as instantly identifiable to fans of football worldwide."

Watford FC will release further information about the process on June 13 2019, shortly after Premier League fixtures are announced.

For those of you not familiar with Watford FC, they are unique in that their badge carries the image of a (poorly drawn) Hart (deer) that resembles a moose. The hart is the symbol of the county in which Watford resides, Hertfordshire. That's nice and all, but the club's nickname is the 'Hornets'. They have historically flip-flopped between images of Harts and Hornets on their shirts, with a Hart being the most recent incarnation.

spacer.png

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

56 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

What the hell happened in 1974

A bunch of weird stuff happened to football badges in the 70s, which is how you got the Leeds United "smiley face" logo, Derby County's modernist ram, and the Nottingham Forest tree badge. 

57 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Honestly, the hornet is probably too cool not to use. 

watford_crest.jpg?itok=c3qnYsJS

But I also love the idea of a hart, if not this particular execution.

I like the Hornets nickname, but they have to

modernize beyond a look reminiscent of a middle schooler’s bug collection. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Honestly, the hornet is probably too cool not to use. 

watford_crest.jpg?itok=c3qnYsJS

But I also love the idea of a hart, if not this particular execution.

I like the hornet myself.   Calls to mind the insects on the Boddington barrel

220px-Boddingtons301.jpg

A hornet seems the most likely outcome, although I wouldn’t mind a hart done a little better, like this concept:

spacer.png

Besides, I’ll admit that I’m a little tickled by a team called the “Hornets” not using a hornet.  Their iconography tied to the city, pointedly not the nickname. 

RIP to the worst logo in major professional sports. I’m so happy.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I didn’t mean that old logo specifically, only that hornet imagery provides lots of opportunities. This concept is quite good. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

The way that logo is rendered looks so 'modernised', tacky and generic. Give me the old fashioned looking bug collection logo any day. Way more classy.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

22 hours ago, Gothamite said:

A hornet seems the most likely outcome, although I wouldn’t mind a hart done a little better, like this concept:

spacer.png

Besides, I’ll admit that I’m a little tickled by a team called the “Hornets” not using a hornet.  Their iconography tied to the city, pointedly not the nickname. 

gods they were strong then.

sorry, havrn't gotten GoT out of my system yet :P

On 6/13/2019 at 6:12 PM, Gothamite said:

I didn’t mean that old logo specifically, only that hornet imagery provides lots of opportunities. This concept is quite good. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

The only thing I don't like about this is that it needs more red. As an American, I had no idea that European hornets had a lot of red on their bodies.

spacer.png

I don't recall seeing anything like this in North America.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

14 hours ago, agentrygraphics said:

The only thing I don't like about this is that it needs more red. As an American, I had no idea that European hornets had a lot of red on their bodies.

spacer.png

I don't recall seeing anything like this in North America.

I think we all know that North American hornets are teal and purple :P

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived