king_mahalo

Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

5 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Maturity is arbitrary and subjective, and at the end of the day they're playing a game. I don't think appearing 'mature' matters all that much and if it did, a furious apex predator seems a lot more immature to me than the other options.

Furious? That's a stretch.

I'm not saying it's necessary and that isn't room for more cartoony logos. All I said, if you read my post properly (yes I'm probably coming across as snarky, don't care) is that there are fans who would PREFER a logo that is a bit more mature. I happen to be one of them.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:01 PM, Ice_Cap said:

It made returning to that logo after experimenting with various identities a non-starter. The team threw back to the original identity save for the logo in 2007. Why is that? Well I would argue because no one has confidence in the stick-in-rink logo to carry the brand. 

They didn't have the confidence in 2007 because the shift to retro-aesthetics hadn't fully taken hold.  It was the year of piping, click-&-fill templates and logos with that early-2000's aesthetic.  That doesn't mean it couldn't work now.  An update that splits the difference between Borovich's original design and what's used today would look great on their current template.  Even the version with the crooked stick still looks pretty good.  It just fits.

stKV6A1.jpg

Had they gone with Johnny Canuck from the get-go? It would give the “classic” Canucks identity more character. Much like how the Penguins eventually embraced the skating penguin after experimentation of their own. Johnny Canuck is a fun logo with local character that would have been an easy go-to had the team embraced him in their early years.

In a perfect world sure.  But they went with the Stick and Rink and I hardly think that decision is the sole reason behind the Canucks identity problems.  If anything it was the knee-jerk decision go with the aggressively coloured 'Flying V identity' that mucked everything up.  You take the Red, Yellow and Black era out of their history and this ceases to be a conversation.

I don’t buy that. If that’s true than no team needs to reference their name with their logo because “the players are the real Tigers/Bears/Eagles.”

It works for the Canucks because the term applies to people.  Doesn't work with the teams named after animals.

The team took its identity from an earlier team that drew on Johnny Canuck for their name. I don’t think expecting them to actually go with him over a laser skate, angry orca, or a hockey rink and disproportionally large stick is too out-there. 

Not out there at all, but an update on the Stick and Rink could work too.

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Only teenagers confuse “grimdark” for “serious”.😛 

Nobody has ever accused the Yankees of not being a “serious franchise”, and their logo is a cartoon hat perched on a stick.  Nobody has ever accused the Maple Leafs of not being a “serious franchise” and their logo is a graffiti-covered leaf.

The team is named after a cartoon character.  A deliberately goofy one at that.  A political symbol for a country that refuses to take itself too seriously. Seems like a mistake to dress them up in pretentious clothing. 

Okay you conveniently picked a logo that isn't the primary, most noticeable mark of a MLB franchise...and then you described the classic maple leaf in a way that I've never heard before.

If the Canucks were named after a cartoon character then they should have identified with that from the beginning. They didn't and now that ship has sailed. Thankfully as I have said before, the name Canucks is open to a broad enough interpretation that it isn't completely ridiculous that they use regional artwork and wildlife to represent their team logo. It's only ridiculous to the small minority who are so steadfast and myopic in their views about JC being the only answer. 

And you're conflating serious with pretentious for I don't know what reason...just to try and hammer home a bias I guess.

How is the Leafs' logo covered in graffiti?

20 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Okay you conveniently picked a logo that isn't the primary, most noticeable mark of a MLB franchise...and then you described the classic maple leaf in a way that I've never heard before.

Well, yeah.  It is the Yankees’ primary logo, actually, but I was making a small joke about the Maple Leafs. :D 

32 minutes ago, Bayne said:

It's only ridiculous to the small minority who are so steadfast and myopic in their views about JC being the only answer.

I think you might be taking this just a little too seriously.  😛 

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Well, yeah.  It is the Yankees’ primary logo, actually, but I was making a small joke about the Maple Leafs. :D 

Ok funny guy.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

I think you might be taking this just a little too seriously.  😛 

Not really. You're probably just projecting. Also that's a standard way of trying to disarm someone who has shown you to be wrong lol.

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

How is the Leafs' logo covered in graffiti?

I was going to say “defaced”, which is more accurate vexillologically and heraldry-wise but a lot less fun. ;) 

12 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Seems like a mistake to dress them up in pretentious clothing. 

11 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

vexillologically

5 hours ago, Bayne said:

Furious? That's a stretch.

I'm not saying it's necessary and that isn't room for more cartoony logos. All I said, if you read my post properly (yes I'm probably coming across as snarky, don't care) is that there are fans who would PREFER a logo that is a bit more mature. I happen to be one of them.

Right, and all I'm saying is the Orca is a less mature looking logo.

6 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Right, and all I'm saying is the Orca is a less mature looking logo.

In all fairness I'd say it's a wash. The Orca isn't any less mature looking than Johnny - he's a cartoon for crying out loud. The Orca is snarling, sure, but he's an artistic representation of an orca in a slightly cartoony context.

15 hours ago, Bayne said:

If the Canucks were named after a cartoon character then they should have identified with that from the beginning. They didn't and now that ship has sailed.

Claptrap. Folderol. Complete and utter nonsense.

If professional sports franchises were truly held to this standard when it came to branding, then fans of Chicago's National League entry would still be rooting on the White Stockings, the NFL would count the Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Titans amongst its member-franchises, and - despite then-owner Abe Pollin's discomfort over the rise in the District of Columbia homicide rate and his heartbreak over the assassination of his friend, Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin - Washington's NBA team would still be the Bullets.

And in the NHL? Well, the Boston Bruins would still be taking to the ice in brown and yellow uniforms with a rather portly bear affixed to the center of their jerseys; the Pittsburgh Penguins would be the Steel City's one pro sports franchise competing in powder blue; Anaheim's entry would be the jade-and-eggplant-adorned Mighty Ducks, complete with a primary logo straight out of an episode of Duck Tales; and hockey fans in the Motor City would be wondering when their beloved Cougars... uh, Falcons... no, wait... Red Wings, would return to relevance.         

Can the whole Canucks convo be it's own thread?..... So I can avoid it like my ex-wife.

Redditor claims we will see 4 Canucks jerseys tomorrow. We shall see if true

I can't see them revealing the jerseys without an announcement that they are and just a day after the Stanley Cup final.  More likely they will do it a day or two before the draft.

I think it's telling that I literally never heard of Johnny Canuck as a comic character before I got involved in sports logo discussions. And the name "Canucks" isn't even specifically just a Johnny Canuck thing, it's a slang term for Canadians as a whole that dates back to the 1850s; Captain Canuck is a much more prevalent example of the term up here nowadays then Johnny is.

And hell, the Maple Leafs don't have an army theme to their uniforms despite being named for the maple leafs on the hats of the CEF during WWI, so why do the Canucks need to be themed after Johnny Canuck as their main brand? Just because a name is after one thing doesn't mean the entire brand should then be that, especially with a slang term as generic-sounding as "Canucks". Johnny is no better then the orca design wise; if anything, he's more cartoonish and silly-looking then the orca.

Like, the faux-Haida orca isn't an amazingly glorious logo, but it's the best of the worst when it comes to this team. Johnny as the main would get lampooned by people, because it looks even more like a cartoon character then the Orca does.

1 hour ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Johnny as the main would get lampooned by people, because it looks even more like a cartoon character then the Orca does.

No he wouldn’t. The Penguins’ logo manages to work out alright.

I think it's telling that I literally never heard of Johnny Canuck as a comic character before I got involved in sports logo discussions.

I don’t mean to sound rude but since when is individual ignorance an argument against something?

Johnny Canuck is a historic piece of Canadiana. He didn’t materialize out of nowhere to justify a skating lumberjack logo. 

And the name "Canucks" isn't even specifically just a Johnny Canuck thing, it's a slang term for Canadians as a whole that dates back to the 1850s

That’s true, but when the original pre-NHL team named the Canucks chose a logo? They chose Johnny Canuck. Seems pretty clear that was the intent behind the name. 

And hell, the Maple Leafs don't have an army theme to their uniforms despite being named for the maple leafs on the hats of the CEF during WWI, so why do the Canucks need to be themed after Johnny Canuck as their main brand?

The Leafs have NEVER had a military theme despite the fact that Smyth modelled the first leaf crest after the Canadian Army cap badges. Hell, Smyth was a military man. If anyone was going to go full military it was him, but he didn’t (some modern NHL owners could take a hint).

Conversely the Canucks leaned heavily into Johnny Canuck imagery in their pre-NHL years and they’ve flirted with him since coming into the league. He’s always been there, on the cusp of the Canucks’ NHL identity without being fully embraced. 

Again, I would argue that the team’s unwillingness to embrace the clear inspiration of their namesake has led to their identity crisis. 

IMO I’ve never seen a jersey where they put Johnny on it either by photo shoppe or with an actual crest, to me, it always looks weak. The penguins look ok with their crest because of the triangle and the thicker penguin. Johnny is just too skinny and doesn’t take up enough space making the front of the sweater look incomplete. The orca and stick-in-rink fits a lot better as a front crest. Now if they made a crest where A beefier Johnny was in front of a C or V (not the V with Johnny head though)  or something then I could go for that. But Johnny as he looks currently doesn’t fit as a front crest.

I like the orca 

{ducks}