Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

king_mahalo

3 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Like, the faux-Haida orca isn't an amazingly glorious logo, but it's the best of the worst when it comes to this team. Johnny as the main would get lampooned by people, because it looks even more like a cartoon character then the Orca does.

Exactly my opinion. I think people who don't think this are a bit delusional and nothing they say can change my mind on that.

Also agree that JC on the chest looks a bit weak. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnny Canuck as a logo would be fine if the current logo wasn’t so poorly done.

The head doesn’t look like it has a mustache, it looks like some weird open grin, as though Johnny is some buff version of the little caesars logo.

Then you’ve got the full body logo, which is just a mess. The head is in profile view and then just stuck onto a body that’s at a 3/4 view without any attempt to add any depth, creating perspective issues. The line weights are extremely disparate between the head and body. The head is made up of thick lines and shapes. Besides the gloves, Johnny’s upper body is made up of a thick and thin navy blue lines. Then there is the fact that the legs and skates have a ton of shading and highlights, while the rest of the logo has no shading or highlights, outside of, again, a small spot on the gloves.

For me this isn’t even a “cartoony vs. professional” thing. This is just a poorly executed logo.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

45 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Exactly my opinion. I think people who don't think this are a bit delusional and nothing they say can change my mind on that.

Also agree that JC on the chest looks a bit weak. 

I agree. 

I don't think the circumstance is all that different from the Browns' elf or the Notre Dame leprechaun, and nobody would advocate for those being front-and-center of their uniforms. Johnny Canuck's a great mascot. But it's not a visual to build your brand around. 

On 6/9/2019 at 11:00 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

I've been saying that forever. I love all animals including orcas/killer whales. In fact, I love that they are a BC coast animal. Beautiful creatures. However, they don't show up in Vancouver's harbour and surrounding waters except for the odd pod. In fact, it's Vancouver's tourist industry that has marketed the orca as a Vancouver native animal. 

Literally yesterday in False Creek. About 1-2 km from Rogers Arena. 😎🐳

https://twitter.com/DanBurritt/status/1138932844649111552

1 hour ago, Lafarge said:

Johnny Canuck as a logo would be fine if the current logo wasn’t so poorly done.

The head doesn’t look like it has a mustache, it looks like some weird open grin, as though Johnny is some buff version of the little caesars logo.

Then you’ve got the full body logo, which is just a mess. The head is in profile view and then just stuck onto a body that’s at a 3/4 view without any attempt to add any depth, creating perspective issues. The line weights are extremely disparate between the head and body. The head is made up of thick lines and shapes. Besides the gloves, Johnny’s upper body is made up of a thick and thin navy blue lines. Then there is the fact that the legs and skates have a ton of shading and highlights, while the rest of the logo has no shading or highlights, outside of, again, a small spot on the gloves.

For me this isn’t even a “cartoony vs. professional” thing. This is just a poorly executed logo.

I agree with this. A better tending would give it the edge over the Orca. As it stands, both Johnny designs fail to pass design scrutiny. I fully support a better Johnny Canuck design as the Canucks’ rightful logo.

Also, to play devil’s advocate for a second, how popular is Johnny Canuck among fans? We too often get trapped in our little internet bubble, assuming things about treats that fans honestly don’t give a bleep about. Maybe the Orca and the SiR are more popular and a bigger hit with fans.

Regardless of logo preferences, I think we can all agree that removing the Vancouver script is a huge improvement.

The third could really use some white stripes, but it's a bit more distinct from the home uniform this time so there's that I guess. The neo stick-in-rink was already an OK logo but these simple tweaks have made it much better.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Looking at the Canucks' twitter thread of the new uniforms. Is it me or does the green pop a little bit better now even though the design's the same on the home and aways? I think it's more of the lighting than anything else but it did look a little brighter.

All in all solid, though they could've taken the time to fix the collar on the home and aways and not manage to make a new mistake on the collar for the throwbacks. Making the stick-in-rink third jersey a different design than the home works better, too.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I genuinely like the third jersey. The contrast of all green stripes on the hems and socks versus all white numbers will look great on the ice IMO. It’s something I remember trying in a concept a couple years ago that I really ended up liking.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

These are a definite improvement on the ones before, I'd agree. Just the removal of the useless arched "VANCOUVER" over the logo makes them look so much better, and I'm digging the mostly blue/green third. The collars are about as good as you can do with Adidas' template, unfortunately, but I'll take it.

Well, guess I was wrong about them not unveiling them today.  On the positive, the primary jerseys look better without the script, but that dumb logo is still around.  As for the heritage jersey, I kinda like it, but it needs white on the stripes or green in the collar and numbers to balance it off.  I prefer the new alternate logo over the old.  The holes in the numbers is just stupid. With the collar, they should have done the same thing with the primary that they did with the heritage.

I look at the third jersey and it looks like a Walmart knock off. It needs a white stripe between the green at the very least.

The other thing that gets me is they said the new shoulder patch remains white on the away jersey to enforce a simplified identity. Yet, they still use two different primary logos that contrast with the jersey colour. So why not keep two versions of the stink-in-rink logo as well?

I'm not overly pumped on the jerseys as a whole, but I am very glad that the Vancouver script is finally gone.

8prlQWA.png

I was on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League website earlier this week, as a handful of friends in New England have sons who were projected to potentially be selected in the 2019 QMJHL American Entry Draft. In any event, something occurred to me while while poking around the league website.

In a league where many of the team logos tend towards overdone, "more-is-less" illustrations - detailed Viking ships, talon-bearing birds of prey, photorealistic torches, anatomically-correct moose and huskies, fanged ocean liners, stick-chomping tigers, and headdress-bedecked First Nations sachems - the primary mark of the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada stood out for its straightforward, classic simplicity.

pOeOjJ5m.png

Might this be the direction that the Vancouver Canucks should go in when designing a new primary logo? Rather than choose between a cartoon lumberjack, a Haida-influenced orca, or a stylized ice skate, opt instead to embrace a timeless and traditional mark with which to identify the franchise.

Picture a large V with a banner/scroll stretched across its face, the word CANUCKS written in said containment shape. The logo could be that simple. If desired, some small device could be placed within the space between the V's two uprights - perhaps, 1970 to indicate the franchise's year of founding. But that's it. The idea would be to lean into a bold, clean look that would eschew trendiness and, as a result, stand the test of time.           

Archived