Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

king_mahalo

You have a jersey with white numbers, a primarily white logo and a big white collar...  Why would you remove all instances of white from the striping?  This "stealth" trend, of trying to make important design elements as invisible as possible, is the worst thing to happen to hockey jerseys since vertical piping.  I couldn't stand it on Carolina's alternate and hate it even more here... 

Had they spent more time balancing the uniform than they did on the useless "rain" embellishments, we could have had something solid.  Instead we get something that looks like it belongs on a Canadian-Tire discount rack...

QyvChDd.jpg

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All decent variations. It just looks so unbalanced as it is. And that collar is just so amateurish, after all the mistakes of 2 years ago you'd think they would know better.

Also, thickening up the C just makes it look less elegant and quite ugly.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

All I can say is this: with the exception of the Skate throwback, the Canucks' new uniform set absolutely sucks. It's the 50th anniversary of Canada's 3rd oldest NHL franchise and there's no classic Stick in Rink. No Johnny Canuck. Just the corporate Orca and the crooked and  bastardized Stick in Rink. The blue alternate is horrible with no white trim to prevent the green stripes from getting lost in on the blue base.

The Aquilinis are officially one of the worst ownerships in professional sports. 

2 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

All I can say is this: with the exception of the Skate throwback, the Canucks' new uniform set absolutely sucks. It's the 50th anniversary of Canada's 3rd oldest NHL franchise and there's no classic Stick in Rink. No Johnny Canuck. Just the corporate Orca and the crooked and  bastardized Stick in Rink. The blue alternate is horrible with no white trim to prevent the green stripes from getting lost in on the blue base.

The Aquilinis are officially one of the worst ownerships in professional sports. 

Your endless apathy and disdain for everything the Canucks do is borderline parody at this point.

It's too bad you can't see that the home and roads are, at the very least, a slight upgrade over what we had. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

9 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

I think even if they just made the collar green it would look better. Quick and dirty fix of that and adding white trim as most people have mentioned.

spacer.png spacer.png

Either one is much improved, although I think I might like the top one. 

The lack of white striping isn’t the problem for me until you get to that white collar, which throws the whole thing out of balance.  Adding white trim to the collar where there isn’t any on the rest of the jersey draws too much attention.

Remove that white trim, and eyes are naturally drawn to the only white on the jersey - logo and numbers.  Which is pretty much ideal.

2 hours ago, insert name said:

What’s the deal with the half collar? What exactly does that do besides make it look unfinished? 

Honestly I've gotten used to it. It looks a lot better than the Adidas full collar, that's for sure. 

It appears that the green in all their uniforms is more faded looking. Again a colour change. I do not like this.

The home and road is not an improvement. It looks busy or disjointed with that new patch and the faded green makes it pop less. 100% downgrade.

The third jersey is an abomination. What an insult to their heritage to redesign that classic crest and make it look like the logo for a phone app. The jersey itself looks like a cheap Chinese knock off. A solid ownership franchise would honour their "50th anniversary" by paying respect to their brand. This is a insult.

Even the skate jersey looks bad with that ridiculous soccer kit collar. WTH. No other team in the NHL has a soccer collar on their throwback uniform with the exception of the Ottawa Senators. Interesting that they too are a garbage organisation with scumbag owners.

3 minutes ago, uniformity said:

It appears that the green in all their uniforms is more faded looking. Again a colour change. I do not like this.

The home and road is not an improvement. It looks busy or disjointed with that new patch and the faded green makes it pop less. 100% downgrade.

The green is the same as far as I can tell. It’s a matter of lighting. When bright lights and spotlights are on them in the arena it’s brighter and more saturated. There are other times it looks more muted, which is actually when I like it most. 

20 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

I was on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League website earlier this week, as a handful of friends in New England have sons who were projected to potentially be selected in the 2019 QMJHL American Entry Draft. In any event, something occurred to me while while poking around the league website.

In a league where many of the team logos tend towards overdone, "more-is-less" illustrations - detailed Viking ships, talon-bearing birds of prey, photorealistic torches, anatomically-correct moose and huskies, fanged ocean liners, stick-chomping tigers, and headdress-bedecked First Nations sachems - the primary mark of the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada stood out for its straightforward, classic simplicity.

pOeOjJ5m.png

Might this be the direction that the Vancouver Canucks should go in when designing a new primary logo? Rather than choose between a cartoon lumberjack, a Haida-influenced orca, or a stylized ice skate, opt instead to embrace a timeless and traditional mark with which to identify the franchise.

Picture a large V with a banner/scroll stretched across its face, the word CANUCKS written in said containment shape. The logo could be that simple. If desired, some small device could be placed within the space between the V's two uprights - perhaps, 1970 to indicate the franchise's year of founding. But that's it. The idea would be to lean into a bold, clean look that would eschew trendiness and, as a result, stand the test of time.           

I've long felt that way as well.  The V as the focal point of your logo works great.  It is a symmetrical image that would look great on the front of the jersey.  No other team in the NHL has a city or a team name that starts with V so Vancouver could make that its identity.  It is also simple and at this point Vancouver is best to go with a simple logo because Canuck isn't a team name that leads itself to a clear identity.  Johnny Canuck could then be a shoulder patch, which would suit it better than the front of the jersey.      

A script logo would also work.  The previous version of the Vancouver Canucks that played in the PCHL and WHL have some jerseys and logos that could be used as inspiration.  

It is unfortunate the NHL version of the Canucks didn't carry over what the WHL team was wearing.  The Stick N Rink logo is the worst of all the logos the Canucks have.  It is a clunky boring logo.  The C is hardly obvious in the original version and it still looks awkward in the updated ones.  My favourite comedian Norm Macdonald had this to say about the logo and it sums up how dumb the logo is.  

“I would love to see any Canadian team win, except Vancouver,” said Macdonald. “I don’t know why I dislike them so much. I think when they first came out they got on my wrong side because their logo was a ****ing hockey stick and that drove me crazy.”

It's very interesting to see the passionate responses to what seems like mostly tweaks by the Canucks. As someone that doesn't follow hockey, I love their colors and like the logo even though it's not perfect. The third is easily the worst in the set, in large because that logo is LAME.

Overall, this team has a really good look IMO because of consistency in their primaries and great colors.

37 minutes ago, Brendan said:

I've long felt that way as well.  The V as the focal point of your logo works great.  It is a symmetrical image that would look great on the front of the jersey.  No other team in the NHL has a city or a team name that starts with V so Vancouver could make that its identity. 

spacer.png

Any sane human with an ounce of taste and style would design the third jersey with white somewhere on the striping. Unfortunately for us, we are living in the age of "🔥" and right now "stealth" = 🔥 

With that being said. Don't get too accustomed with these as they have the same shelf life of a teen pop star. 

Archived