king_mahalo

Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

4 hours ago, Bayne said:

My obligatory take.

spacer.png

Man, we've come a long way from the debacle of 2007 if this uniform is considered hot garbage. In all honesty, the league is looking really good overall -- there are some designs that need tweeks and different socks or accent colors, but I think it's worth noting that the NHL has become arguably the best looking league in sports, with some brighter and more distinct colors than we had just a few years back. This is not a bad looking sweater by any means. Some of the vitriol seems a bit much. Yeah, it would look better with white stripes, but I'm willing to give it a shot and grow on me.

15 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Are the Aquilinis perfect? No. But no owner is. They've consistently proven they're more than willing to actually spend money on the team, they're involved in the community and they genuinely care about the Canucks and winning. On top of that they've shown on more than one occasion a willingness to try and lure other professional leagues to Vancouver. 

Agree with that.  They are not bad owners.  Canucks Sports & Entertainment is a fine operation.  Even little things like remembering the concession staff being really nice every time I have been at a game.  Can't say customer service is that good many other places in the city.

Very thankful they bought the Vancouver NLL team and moved them back downtown.  That rebrand with name change to Warriors is under their watch and is a good look.

Again, I ask...why do they insist on NOT putting Johnny Canuck at the front of ANY jersey? (and taking him off the shoulders of the third jersey?)

10 hours ago, Bayne said:

My obligatory take.

spacer.png

Love it. Such a small change makes a huge difference. Would buy this

16 hours ago, Bayne said:

Fattening up the C to make it more obvious has stolen it of its subtle elegance. (I dont feel like the word elegant is right but i cant think of a better one) Its too chunky which makes an already simple logo look much more elementary. Especially with the odd choice of striping and the thick white collar. Just doesnt work for me.

Also is the thicker c now the same as the shoulder patches? Hard to tell...i would assume so.

I don’t think I’d use the word “elegant” (or any similar term) to describe the rink logo. To me, the light weight of the old C is one of the main reasons it never read properly as a C (in either incarnation), so the chunkier weight is definitely purposeful and an improvement in my opinion. After all, I think the rink logo *is* a very elementary mark, and (at least to me) it feels counter-intuitive to make it fancier with fussy letterforms and fine outlines. My solution was to let it be exactly what it is; a giant C rink enveloping a giant ice rink with a giant stick.

The home/road shoulder patches have indeed been replaced by the new mark.

15 hours ago, Chromatic said:

No, its rain.

spacer.png

I created it. It’s waves. From the Vancouver flag and coat of arms.

1 hour ago, MBurmy said:

Again, I ask...why do they insist on NOT putting Johnny Canuck at the front of ANY jersey? (and taking him off the shoulders of the third jersey?)

It’s possible they don’t feel a middle-age white male cartoon stereotype properly represents a progressive, diverse west-coast metropolis, but I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Does seeing your work on the ice ever stop being awesome?

7 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I don’t think I’d use the word “elegant” (or any similar term) to describe the rink logo. To me, the light weight of the old C is one of the main reasons it never read properly as a C (in either incarnation), so the chunkier weight is definitely purposeful and an improvement in my opinion. After all, I think the rink logo *is* a very elementary mark, and (at least to me) it feels counter-intuitive to make it fancier with fussy letterforms and fine outlines. My solution was to let it be exactly what it is; a giant C rink enveloping a giant ice rink with a giant stick.

The home/road shoulder patches have indeed been replaced by the new mark.

Odd that the team release calls it rain. Can I ask why the collar is white and not just blue or green to better blend with the jersey? 

1 minute ago, Kevin W. said:

Does seeing your work on the ice ever stop being awesome?

By the time something is released, all I can usually see are things I wish I would have done differently. 🙂

It’s still nice, though. I especially look forward to the internet commentary.

1 minute ago, bowld said:

Odd that the team release calls it rain. Can I ask why the collar is white and not just blue or green to better blend with the jersey? 

There’s always stuff lost in translation from design to marketing or from outfitter to team when all the entities are separate.

As for the collar and stripe colors, they just wanted it that way. Maybe the idea is for it to be a more contemporary take on the 1970s look? That’s how the cookie crumbles when you work with teams. You can only give them what you think is the right answer based on your own opinion and experience. Sometimes it matches up with what they think, but sometimes not.

27 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s possible they don’t feel a middle-age white male cartoon stereotype properly represents a progressive, diverse west-coast metropolis, but I could be wrong.

Have they done the market research on the Johnny Canuck logo? How popular would you say it is with the fanbase at large? Is it a #bringbackthebrown situation or something that's super-obscure?

It's important to remember that the board's opinions doesn't always reflect what the teams and general public see in their designs.

35 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

If that’s their reasoning? I find that hilariously out-of-touch. 

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

There’s a clearly a communication issue between you and the branding team then.

Yeah - you might have intended waves, but they see rain.  With their “life in the PNW” theme, I doubt they would deliberately pass up an opportunity to tie in with the city’s coat of arms. 

It also isn’t a direct reference as the “waves” start of light and then become waves at the bottom. If meant to emulate the flag or arms as posted, one would think it would’ve started at the top of the numbers rather than halfway down.

if the intent was to reference the flag or arms, actually reference the flag and not start halfway down.

there is a massive disconnect between your corporate-speak as to the meaning and the Canucks’ corporate speak which comes off as the official meaning behind the design and that’s what people will be referring to

The new uniforms are pretty neat.

The orca logo is clearly a product of the 90s, which is once again recolored, re-used, and recycled, slapped onto classic, old-school-ish uniforms.

But I see why they're still using it. The Canucks do not think this is good enough to be the primary and they kind of have a point, tbh...

0528-van19sec.png?format=500w

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

That's awesome. Love the subtle details. For what it's worth, I see it as waves, but actually think it is kind of cool that there are two interpretations that could both fit.  

One of my favorite CCSLC traditions is when andrewharrington talks about something of which he has first hand knowledge and someone proceeds to tell him he’s wrong somehow. 

22 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

One of my favorite CCSLC traditions is when andrewharrington talks about something of which he has first hand knowledge and someone proceeds to tell him he’s wrong somehow. 

Unfortunately, it’s the team that is contradicting him here.   And they’re the ones who will write the history when all is said and done. 

15 minutes ago, Lafarge said: