Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

king_mahalo

5 hours ago, ebod39 said:

What if the Patriots used an Eagle?  That would work.

Yes it would. But a lobster wouldn't. Again, what is wrong with the Seattle Seahawks using an Orca for a logo?

Logos/mascots don't always have to be the literal image of the name. Granted if you name your team the Bears, yeh you should use a bear.

But Patriot, Canuck, Yankee etc... there's room for interpretation

Yeah, but it should still make sense. A minuteman makes sense for the name Patriots. An Interlocking 'NY' makes sense for a team called the New York Yankees. A or a Viking don't, because they have absolutely nothing to do with the nickname unless you make an extremely convoluted and shaky attempt to justify the connection, which you can do for anything. A good litmus test is the sheer amount of non hockey fans who think a Canuck is some kind of whale. If your logo is so out of left field that people don't understand what your team is named for, its probably not a good logo, this is aside from how terribly designed the orca is.

I think an Orca is fine for the Canucks. I understand that it's leftover from corporate ownership, but the concept of animal and not person is still a solid one.

Since Canuck is a slang term for a Canadian, it's open to using an animal thats native to the area or Canada in general.

They could've used a Beaver or a Loon and IMO it would make sense. Those might not be the best choices, but they're not out of line. 

They could very well use a person too, Johnny Canuck, but they don't want to. They have their reasons, whether you like them or not.

Why bother discussing it then? If 'they have their reasons' for a design. 

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Morgo said:

Perhaps they didn't want to muddy their identity by adding a sixth colour to pander to people who obsess about race all day...

Well of course they wouldn't pander to those people, those people have no time to watch hockey.

3 minutes ago, aild87 said:

Well of course they wouldn't pander to those people, those people have no time to watch hockey.

Thats irrelevant. Those people will always find out about something that exists that might offend them.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

3 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Andrew makes a very good point; the Canucks do a loooot of market research. If Johnny were nearly as overwhelmingly popular with Canucks fans as some on this board think, they'd have definitely noted it and began phasing Johnny in and phasing out the Orca. This new jersey set would have been the perfect time to phase Johnny in as the primary if they saw he was so overwhelmingly popular.

But they didn't, they simply took off the wordmark and made the primary logo larger. That, to me, indicates Johnny Canuck isn't as overwhelmingly hugely desired by the fanbase at large as some people make him out to be.

The Canucks "do a loooot of market research" is as false as someone saying that Vancouver gets a lot of snow during winter and its housing market is affordable for average income earners.

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

Yes it would. But a lobster wouldn't. Again, what is wrong with the Seattle Seahawks using an Orca for a logo?

Because they're the flipping SEAHAWKS. The term "seahawk" explicitly refers to an osprey, and not an orca. "Canuck" is nowhere NEAR as specific a term as "seahawk", so that argument is flawed. An orca, a beaver, a caribou, a salmon, a nickel, a wolf, a bear and a moose all are just as "Canuck" a logo as a lumberjack.

Arguing that the Seahawks using an orca isn't completely wrong is like arguing that the Panthers should use a Persian as their primary since a Persian and a cougar are kinda related to one another. "Seahawk" refers to a specific thing. "Canuck" refers to a ethnicity.

Yeah, but it should still make sense. A minuteman makes sense for the name Patriots. An Interlocking 'NY' makes sense for a team called the New York Yankees. A or a Viking don't, because they have absolutely nothing to do with the nickname unless you make an extremely convoluted and shaky attempt to justify the connection, which you can do for anything.

A good litmus test is the sheer amount of non hockey fans who think a Canuck is some kind of whale. If your logo is so out of left field that people don't understand what your team is named for, its probably not a good logo, this is aside from how terribly designed the orca is.

Again, "Canuck" isn't anywhere close to so specific that Johnny is an indisputably better option then the Orca. People commonly think a Velociraptor is a big scaly lizard monster, does that mean that a logo depicting it as the more accurate and feathery version of the same creature a bad logo because people don't immediately recognize it? No. But the common perception of Velociraptors is giant scaly lizard monsters.

The flying skate is a terribly designed logo. The orca just isn't.

2 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Because they're the flipping SEAHAWKS. The term "seahawk" explicitly refers to an osprey, and not an orca. "Canuck" is nowhere NEAR as specific a term as "seahawk", so that argument is flawed. An orca, a beaver, a caribou, a salmon, a nickel, a wolf, a bear and a moose all are just as "Canuck" a logo as a lumberjack.

Again, "Canuck" isn't anywhere close to so specific that Johnny is an indisputably better option then the Orca. People commonly think a Velociraptor is a big scaly lizard monster, does that mean that a logo depicting it as the more accurate and feathery version of the same creature a bad logo because people don't immediately recognize it? No. But the common perception of Velociraptors is giant scaly lizard monsters.

The flying skate is a terribly designed logo. The orca just isn't.

By that very same argument, I could say that 'Seahawk' refers to a sea creature with hawkish attributes, and the orcas are well known to be apex predators. Therefore, an Orca makes perfect sense as a Seahawks logo. Canuck may be more "vague" (not by much) but its still not so nondescript that a whale makes sense for the logo. Just like lobsters don't make sense for "patriots". 

The skate is not great but at least it obeys the laws of time and space.

28 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Source?

Seemingly every tourist who rolls through Vancouver. When I bartended, the amount of Australian, Irish, South American, etc visitors I met who had never heard the term 'Canuck' before and assumed it meant 'whale' shocked me.

8 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

By that very same argument, I could say that 'Seahawk' refers to a sea creature with hawkish attributes, and the orcas are well known to be apex predators. Therefore, an Orca makes perfect sense as a Seahawks logo.

Except "seahawk" is literally a nickname for osprey. This isn't a situation where a name has many different applications, "seahawk" is a nickname for osprey flat-out. "Canuck" is not anywhere close to as specific as "seahawk". It's a term for Canadian; the ethnicity, the country, the stuff in it. It's a catch-all term.

Canuck may be more "vague" (not by much) but its still not so nondescript that a whale makes sense for the logo. Just like lobsters don't make sense for "patriots".

I don't really think big bearded guy with a plaid shirt is any more descriptive of "Canadian" then an orca. If anything, people these days associate big beards and plaid shirts with hipsters, not Canadians.

16 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Except "seahawk" is literally a nickname for osprey. This isn't a situation where a name has many different applications, "seahawk" is a nickname for osprey flat-out. "Canuck" is not anywhere close to as specific as "seahawk". It's a term for Canadian; the ethnicity, the country, the stuff in it. It's a catch-all term.

It refers to a Canadian person. If you're going by 'The Stuff In It' you might as well have a bag of milk as a logo because thats a thing you'll find in Canada.

I don't really think big bearded guy with a plaid shirt is any more descriptive of "Canadian" then an orca. If anything, people these days associate big beards and plaid shirts with hipsters, not Canadians.

Maybe, but a lumberjack works a lot closer to both Canadian and specifically British Columbian identity than most other options. Besides, I'm not saying you have to literally depict a "Canuck" on the jersey, just not show something that has absolutely nothing to do with a "Canuck". 

22 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Seemingly every tourist who rolls through Vancouver. When I bartended, the amount of Australian, Irish, South American, etc visitors I met who had never heard the term 'Canuck' before and assumed it meant 'whale' shocked me.

Our own experiences are not indicative of the world as a whole. Sorry, this doesn't cut it as a source.

It's where I sit.

2 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Our own experiences are not indicative of the world as a whole. Sorry, this doesn't cut it as a source.

That's great Professor. I'm not taking this to court though. I'm giving my reasoning for a subjective dislike of a sports logo. Anecdotal evidence is perfectly valid.

13 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

That's great Professor. I'm not taking this to court though. I'm giving my reasoning for a subjective dislike of a sports logo. Anecdotal evidence is perfectly valid.

Yup - and by all means don't be bothered by me not buying your evidence. 

It's where I sit.

Archived