Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

king_mahalo

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Would *I* have a problem with Johnny Canuck? No. Would I, as a team, try to understand and respect how the fans felt about the subject? Of course. Vancouver is definitely in the top tier of teams when it comes to fan research, so if they’re reluctant to use Johnny in a starring role, I’ve got to think they have a reason for it.

This is where I am. I personally love that logo, but I have to assume that if they're not using it on the uniform by now then there's a reason. It's clear my affinity for Skatin' Johnny is either not shared by someone in Canucks' brass or the results of market testing or probably both. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I have a Johnny Canuck hat that I bought in Vancouver six or seven years ago. People like to ask me what it is and who's on it. Some folks from Vancouver/BC have told me how much they like Johnny Canuck.

I also have an old Messier-era Canucks jersey I've worn a handful of times. People tell me how gross navy and maroon look together. (Actually, just kidding, I never wear that jersey.)

That skating logo is top class, but so is the face-in-V one:

johnny-canuck.gif

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

...And the craic was good...(Van Morrison)

Mr. Chewbarky, have you ever thought about how you would handle a Johnny Canuck design? Judging by your extensive portfolio, I'm sure you could put together a fantastic design that avoids some of the compositional pitfalls of the WHL/modern design.

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I have a Johnny Canuck hat that I bought in Vancouver six or seven years ago. People like to ask me what it is and who's on it. Some folks from Vancouver/BC have told me how much they like Johnny Canuck.

I also have an old Messier-era Canucks jersey I've worn a handful of times. People tell me how gross navy and maroon look together. (Actually, just kidding, I never wear that jersey.)

That skating logo is top class, but so is the face-in-V one:

johnny-canuck.gif

I don’t like decapitated Johnny. This is probably the sloppiest execution of Johnny out there, why is he starring up in the sky? Unless he really was decapitated by a giant “V” 

I have a big problem with that decapitated design. Mainly because of how uninspired and bland the V shape is. At least have it go to more of a point at the bottom so it doesn't look quite so child safe and neutered.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Having friends here in Vancouver that work for the Canucks, I got a good laugh out of the research thing about the Canucks being very good at it with their fans and what not. 

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

On 6/16/2019 at 4:18 PM, Gobbi said:

This guy portrays Johnny Canuck on the scoreboard at Rogers Arena. His name is Adam MacKay Smith. He is white. 

AGF-l78M0C1IR03DqplfRthiMA8Xh7vjdJmcZuhf

It's also one of the douchiest beards. Grow a real manly beard or get out. 

Is he best bro's with Benning's nephew from Nordstrom? This guy looks like the kind of ass you'd see in Yaletown, walking to eat at "MeeT" to get some near meat burger and then try to convince you it's great food (it's not, it's really not.). 

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

7 hours ago, dont care said:

I don’t like decapitated Johnny. This is probably the sloppiest execution of Johnny out there, why is he starring up in the sky? Unless he really was decapitated by a giant “V” 

Their full on Johnny Canuck logo is fine, looks ok, I despise the team and their fans to my core and I am born and raised in Vancouver. But that V logo always looks idiotic to me and reminds me of that pastry logo. 

This team will go through like another 50 changes of the same logo before they finally settle on one, at least it passes the time for never winning a cup ever. 

I get some teams going retro, but it has to be the right retro. The Black skate jerseys were some rough times too but also some of their best times in terms of who came out of those colors with Bure, Linden, Smyl, the trades to land big pieces, Kirk, etc. But the stink n rink, its now synonymous of being baited into losing a cup finals by the Bruins and the Sedins. 

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Mr. Chewbarky, have you ever thought about how you would handle a Johnny Canuck design? Judging by your extensive portfolio, I'm sure you could put together a fantastic design that avoids some of the compositional pitfalls of the WHL/modern design.

One just doesn't work. Either it looks cartoony like their actual JC logo, or it looks down right pedophile'ish with that picture of the dude with the most god awful beard I have ever seen. 

The only person that I ever saw, handle that Johnny C logo, was I think Humanot? He did a fantastic one. That is probably the only one I saw where I said to myself "Jesus christ I still hate this hometown team and their fans, but that's a fantastic logo.."

Vancouver sports have some of the worst logo's to begin with. BC Lions logo and their current marketing is beyond annoying with those stupid orange heads and black silhouettes. Then you have the Whitecraps and Giants. 

I see more Grizzlies merch out on the streets. 

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

18 hours ago, DG_Now said:

johnny-canuck.gif

Part of me likes this approach as the positioning of his head on the V brings to mind his overalls. But maybe that's just my own observation based on a happy coincidence.

It still raises some questions though; why is his head at more of an angle compared to the full-bodied version? Why are all the outlines on the V rounded when the V itself is angular? And does it really need three outlines?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Idk if either of the Johnny Canuck logos were ever featured in the original NHL Vancouver Canucks green and blue brand. I'm thinking that could be why the Canucks latest new uniforms do not feature Johnny Canuck. They want to focus on the NHL era only.

21 hours ago, dont care said:

He’s staring up from the bottom of the standings.

22 hours ago, dont care said:

That's my only beef with the Johnny Canuck V head. The Skating Johnny Canuck looks straight ahead....that's the one I love. Furthermore, Johnny's head outline with his beard and toque should be navy blue like the Skating version, not royal. There needs to be consistancy with both logos. The Canucks' inhouse design team have shown massive inexperience when it comes to logo and jersey design. That's why it never hurts to hire experienced professional artists and graphic designers to help out with the branding.

14 hours ago, VC// said:

Having friends here in Vancouver that work for the Canucks, I got a good laugh out of the research thing about the Canucks being very good at it with their fans and what not. 

I'm with you there. The Canucks being "very good" at fan research is like saying Derrick Pouliot is very good at quarterbacking the team's power play. I have a pretty good sense of humour and I don't even find that funny.

14 hours ago, VC// said:

Vancouver sports have some of the worst logo's to begin with. BC Lions logo and their current marketing is beyond annoying with those stupid orange heads and black silhouettes. Then you have the Whitecraps and Giants. 

I see more Grizzlies merch out on the streets. 

Disagree regarding other Vancouver team logos.

The BC Lions' logo is timeless as is their orange and black scheme. It describes the clubs' identity perfectly. The logo looks great on the new helmets with the triple stripe and I consider it one of the very best helmets in all of professional football. 

The Whitecaps' Whitecapped mountain crest reflecting a VW in the water in its simplicity is brilliant. It tells the story of the inspiration of the club's name. The crest also matches the beautiful Soccer Bowl '79 40th anniversary shirt hoop. The Whitecaps' NASL Ball riding the Whitecapped Wave is a classic and is the club's secondary logo. Unlike the Canucks who bastardized their classic Stick in Rink crest, the Whitecaps left their classic alone, save for "The Village" wordmark in the old NASL team font. "The Village" is a tribute to "Vancouver must be a deserted village" comment by the late Jim McKay from ABC Sports who covered the NASL.

The Giants crest is one of the very best in all of junior hockey. 

The Canadians' C🍁s logo with the baseball inside is beautiful and timeless. It would fit right in with MLB if Vancouver were had a franchise.

Archived