Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

king_mahalo

On 6/17/2019 at 10:40 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Mr. Chewbarky, have you ever thought about how you would handle a Johnny Canuck design?...

@SFGiants58...Thanks for the nudge...(I forget the stuff that I've posted sometimes)... But yes, in 2013, I did a Johnny Canuck Special Edition concept. I like the J.C. lumberjack idea, so I put a plaid shirt on Johnny, and drew up a "Plaid-Cut" sweater to match. I tried to suggest plaid by using the fewest lines possible, over-lapping traditional seams and using 2 shades of green and blue. (Forgive my blue colour...it's looking a bit purple-y)...I think it'd make an interesting fan sweater...

spacer.png

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/14/2019 at 12:50 AM, VancouverFan69 said:

It's the 50th anniversary of Canada's 3rd oldest NHL franchise and there's no classic Stick in Rink. No Johnny Canuck. Just the corporate Orca and the crooked and  bastardized Stick in Rink. The blue alternate is horrible with no white trim to prevent the green stripes from getting lost in on the blue base.

Can you not at least appreciate the fact that they use their original colour scheme, second striping configuration and now have a logo on the front sans-wordmark?  That last fact alone should be cause for celebration for any Canucks fan and I hardly think they're ignoring their history...

7IVcwcN.png

They happen to be sticking with a logo you personally don't like.  There's nothing crooked or bastardized about the new Stick in Rink either.  It's an improvement over the previous version and the original.  This new set isn't the total loss you make it out to be.

6 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Disagree regarding other Vancouver team logos.

The BC Lions' logo is timeless as is their orange and black scheme. It describes the clubs' identity perfectly. The logo looks great on the new helmets with the triple stripe and I consider it one of the very best helmets in all of professional football. 

The Whitecaps' Whitecapped mountain crest reflecting a VW in the water in its simplicity is brilliant. It tells the story of the inspiration of the club's name. The crest also matches the beautiful Soccer Bowl '79 40th anniversary shirt hoop. The Whitecaps' NASL Ball riding the Whitecapped Wave is a classic and is the club's secondary logo. Unlike the Canucks who bastardized their classic Stick in Rink crest, the Whitecaps left their classic alone, save for "The Village" wordmark in the old NASL team font. "The Village" is a tribute to "Vancouver must be a deserted village" comment by the late Jim McKay from ABC Sports who covered the NASL.

The Giants crest is one of the very best in all of junior hockey. 

The Canadians' C🍁s logo with the baseball inside is beautiful and timeless. It would fit right in with MLB if Vancouver were had a franchise.

Agree with you on this, except for the Giants logo. I've always thought it was overrated. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

While I’m definitely happy the ‘Vancouver’ wordmark was removed, it’s absence only highlights how bad these collars are. There’s so much empty space between the logo and the toilet seat. I don’t know why they couldn’t have used the new collar from the thirds on them. Also I’m interested to see these in person to see how much they’ve enlarged the Orca to compensate, as (not to reignite that debate) one of the things dragging the Orca down was how squished it was beneath the wordmark.

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

While I’m definitely happy the ‘Vancouver’ wordmark was removed, it’s absence only highlights how bad these collars are. There’s so much empty space between the logo and the toilet seat. I don’t know why they couldn’t have used the new collar from the thirds on them. Also I’m interested to see these in person to see how much they’ve enlarged the Orca to compensate, as (not to reignite that debate) one of the things dragging the Orca down was how squished it was beneath the wordmark.

Well the collar on the thirds is far more egregious than the home jersey, no? I agree that they both look like toilet seats - the template is far too big and wide, especially with high contrast colours such as the Nucks'. But at least the home jerseys have the optical appearance of not having them at all when you view them from the front. I take some solace in that.

I'm sure you'll get used to not having the wordmark - I like that the logo is bigger (as it should be) and that it can now sit proudly closer to the chest rather than on the stomach.

5 hours ago, Bayne said:

Well the collar on the thirds is far more egregious than the home jersey, no?

Not at all. Obviously none of the Adidas collars have been perfect, but the half-collars the Canucks use on their home & aways are much, much worse than a collar that actually connects.

Unfortunately, unless the league & Adidas update their templates, the only way to keep the collars from being gaudy distractions is to have them match the base colour of the jersey, or the shoulder/sleeve yoke if there is one (Bayne did a nice touch-up). 

8 hours ago, Bayne said:

Well the collar on the thirds is far more egregious than the home jersey, no? I agree that they both look like toilet seats - the template is far too big and wide, especially with high contrast colours such as the Nucks'. But at least the home jerseys have the optical appearance of not having them at all when you view them from the front. I take some solace in that.

I'm sure you'll get used to not having the wordmark - I like that the logo is bigger (as it should be) and that it can now sit proudly closer to the chest rather than on the stomach.

There isn't really anything wrong with the collar itself on the thirds, its how it effects the colour balance on the jersey. It would like much better on the new home and roads.

Oh come on, they're really unnecessarily big, aren't they? On both home and thirds. I can understand that the half collar is worse, I guess I can see that. Still don't like the size of the collar on the thirds...same can be said for all the teams who've used it wrong - Senators, Blackhawks, Canadiens, Stars

31 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Oh come on, they're really unnecessarily big, aren't they?

The Adidas collars are a travesty. Teams were figuring out how to get creative with the Reebok EDGE collars after years of using the same two designs (well one and a half, regular V-neck and V-neck with laces). Then the Adidas template shows up and the entire league is back to square one on collars.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Adidas collars are a travesty. Teams were figuring out how to get creative with the Reebok EDGE collars after years of using the same two designs (well one and a half, regular V-neck and V-neck with laces). Then the Adidas template shows up and the entire league is back to square one on collars.

Yeah, but the mistakes were so obvious. How anyone thought a fully filled fat white ring around the necks of blackhawks players was going to look okay is beyond me.

16 hours ago, Bayne said:

Yeah, but the mistakes were so obvious. How anyone thought a fully filled fat white ring around the necks of blackhawks players was going to look okay is beyond me.

If they'd narrow the collar, it would not only look better, but it would also better accommodate laces, and would negate that obnoxious "pentagon" on the front...

I gave the narrower collar a shot with this template...

spacer.png

20 hours ago, Bayne said:

Oh come on, they're really unnecessarily big, aren't they? On both home and thirds. I can understand that the half collar is worse, I guess I can see that. Still don't like the size of the collar on the thirds...same can be said for all the teams who've used it wrong - Senators, Blackhawks, Canadiens, Stars

They're big but thats the state of Adidas collars in general. If you put them on the Orca jerseys they'd fit a lot better, taking up the excess negative space and be better collar balanced with the increased amount of white in the striping. The collars aren't ideal, I've yet to see an Adidas one that is, but they're not egregiously bad like the current home and roads. It's crazy that we already had this problem when Nike took over the NFL and yet we're seeing it again. 

To be honest I'm actually coming around on the thirds and the new RiS logo. I knew it would probably happen. I think the thicker C looks great for the logo as a shoulder patch, no doubt about it. Not 100% about how it looks as a chest logo, but hey....like I said, it's slowly grown on me in the last 7 days and now I don't think it looks quite as clunky as it did when I first saw it. I really think the entire set they revealed is really good. So glad the wordmark is gone; that cannot be overstated.

Teams like the Canucks, Red Wings, and Leafs who use only one colour in their collar should just fill in the thinner, inner portion.  Of course, Adidas should fix the damn collars (and the hem), but that may be the best way to deal with the dumb collars, at least for some teams.

On 6/18/2019 at 4:11 PM, Chromatic said:

I think plaid in some capacity would be great for the Canucks, but it would have to be done with subtlety. Maybe a hanger effect or sublimated in the striping.

I actually think that sublimated plaid in the green striping could could look super nice, and make a nice nod to the history of lumberjacks and the lumber industry in BC without having to go ham on Johnny imagery; keep him as a special thing rather then overexposing him or undergoing yet another rebrand.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:54 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

If they'd narrow the collar, it would not only look better, but it would also better accommodate laces, and would negate that obnoxious "pentagon" on the front...

I gave the narrower collar a shot with this template...

spacer.png

I love the plaid and it's very unique in sports. Looks great.

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

Archived