Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

king_mahalo

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up with the flying skate, and I have a soft spot for the 94 team,  but it is a terrible logo and the blue and green is the best colour scheme the team has had. These changes are fine, but so minor I doubt they're going to sell many new jerseys. I'm surprised not to see some more significant changes in terms of striping or something to mix it up more. 

The only thing I don't like are the shoulder patches on the road jersey.  They went through the trouble of making primarily blue and white versions of the Orca in 2007, why can't they give the Stick-n-Rink the same treatment...

16 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I'd rather they keep the flying skate as a special event thing and never, ever bring it back full time; it's painfully 90's design in all the wrong ways. Speedlines everywhere, obnoxious bright colors, BFBS, slanted text...ech. I'd rather them stick to a professional looking identity that's at least modernized enough over a painfully 90's identity that really is only remembered as fondly as it is due to the '94 playoff run and a disdain for a fine logo just due to association.

While I agree, the Flying Skate logo was first put on a Canucks jersey in... 1978. It was on the arms of the Flying V. All those things you're listing as painfully 90's were part of a design process twenty years before the 90s. 

1 hour ago, BrianLion said:

I loathe the orca logo in all it's iterations. It's a generic and thinly-veiled nod to a corporate entity that's no longer involved with the team. 

Bring back the flying skate! Let Seattle try to do something more creative with the blue/green scheme. 

I'm all for ditching the orca but getting rid of blue and green was the biggest identity mistake the franchise ever made and set them on this path of "lacking an identity in the first place." It took them 30 years to get blue and green back, they should never ditch it again.

How in the world is the orca logo generic? Name another sports logo like it. I'l wait...

The fact that Orca Bay name no longer exists is all the more reason to keep the orca. The orca is no longer a corporate identity at all

9 minutes ago, Ark said:

How in the world is the orca logo generic? Name another sports logo like it. I'l wait...

The fact that Orca Bay name no longer exists is all the more reason to keep the orca. The orca is no longer a corporate identity at all

Image result for Seattle Seawolves logo

Would Major League Rugby's Seattle Seawolves count?

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

I'm all for ditching the orca but getting rid of blue and green was the biggest identity mistake the franchise ever made and set them on this path of "lacking an identity in the first place." It took them 30 years to get blue and green back, they should never ditch it again.

^This. The Canucks have been a team with a perpetual identity crisis since they entered the league. First it was blue, green and white with the stick-in-rink, then it was black, yellow and red with the Flying V and the Flying Skate. Then it was navy, maroon and silver with the Orca, and now that they've finally cycled back to an identity which actually works (b/g/w with the Orca), people are clamoring for the red/black/yellow flying skate to be the main logo or the stick and rink to be the main logo or any other thing else.

This team, more then ANYTHING, needs to stick to a damn identity at this point. Rogers Arena already looks like a living box of Skittles, we don't need to make the problem even worse. Keep the orca, keep the colors and just keep their identity set for more then 20 years at a time.

My ideal Canucks identity is this current look, with the navy/maroon/silver as a third and Johnny Canuck primary/stick-in-rink secondary and flying skate jerseys as special event night jerseys. There. A clean, concise identity for the Canucks that works, that's stable and that ties the franchise together without abandoning a identity that has no reason to be abandoned outside of "corporate orca shill".

7 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Canucks should never stop wearing blue and green. Seattle can deal and find another colour scheme.

Or just use visually distinct shades of said colors. Seattle using liberty blue and pine green would look pretty different from the Canucks' color scheme even though they're technically the same base colors. Plenty of teams in the NHL use red/black in varying amounts, no reason multiple teams can't use blue/green with very distinctive shades.

14 hours ago, king_mahalo said:

best uniforms in Canucks history. these were absolute beauties. I like the orca, I just wish they would adopt this template

spacer.png

I have no problem with the current set, minus the logo, of course, but these are very nice.  I'm not as big of a fan of the V on the sleeves, though.  However, the dark version of this jersey does not look good.  Maybe that's why they used the white version instead of the blue one.

1 hour ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

^This. The Canucks have been a team with a perpetual identity crisis since they entered the league. First it was blue, green and white with the stick-in-rink, then it was black, yellow and red with the Flying V and the Flying Skate. Then it was navy, maroon and silver with the Orca, and now that they've finally cycled back to an identity which actually works (b/g/w with the Orca), people are clamoring for the red/black/yellow flying skate to be the main logo or the stick and rink to be the main logo or any other thing else.

This team, more then ANYTHING, needs to stick to a damn identity at this point. Rogers Arena already looks like a living box of Skittles, we don't need to make the problem even worse. Keep the orca, keep the colors and just keep their identity set for more then 20 years at a time.

This is why these new jerseys represent the best possible outcome for the team.  They've kept the same look of the past 13 years, one with historical significance in the striping and colours, and made a couple little tweaks that improve it significantly.

If down the road they want to replace the Orca with the Stick-N-Rink or a version of Johnny Canuck, I'm fine with that.  But the colours and striping should absolutely never change again. 

Thank god they did the minimum that they needed to, removing the wordmark, and didn't screw up the rest of a beautiful jersey. The switching of the shoulder patch color is fine. Doesn't make a difference to me either way.

19 hours ago, king_mahalo said:

best uniforms in Canucks history. these were absolute beauties. I like the orca, I just wish they would adopt this template

spacer.png

These aren't bad at all. As awesome as I think it is that they're wearing the flying skate this upcoming season, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing that jersey or the blue version of it return as a third jersey at some point.  

6 hours ago, M4One said:

I have no problem with the current set, minus the logo, of course, but these are very nice.  I'm not as big of a fan of the V on the sleeves, though.  However, the dark version of this jersey does not look good.  Maybe that's why they used the white version instead of the blue one.

They wore the white version because the Canucks wore white at home in 1970. Their first home game in 2010-11 was against the Kings which was the Canucks 1st opponent. The kings also wore purple throwbacks.

I'm very disappointed that the Canucks arent wearing their original uniforms for their "50th" anniversary. They did it right for their 40th. I dont like any of the uniforms slated for the anniversary.

23 hours ago, king_mahalo said:

spacer.png

That template works amazingly well for the whites but the blues leave something to be desired. To make it work I'd like to see the topmost green stripe switched for white and the sublimated 'V' changed to Blue, then it would match up well.

11 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

That template works amazingly well for the whites but the blues leave something to be desired. To make it work I'd like to see the topmost green stripe switched for white and the sublimated 'V' changed to Blue, then it would match up well.

Like this?  This is an original sketch from the designer I found in this video.

0JKnqaw.png

To be honest, I think Vancouver is a huge upgrade. It’s not perfect, as the half collar thing is still a problem (might as well not color it in at all) and the number font could be better improved rather than keeping it, but they took care of the cluttering on the front and I think it looks a whole lot cleaner. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived