Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

king_mahalo

If you’ve gone between three completely different color schemes in 50 years you’re the antithesis of “heritage.”

Going further, any team taking the ice in these can not lay any claim to being “heritage.”

RoymWU0.jpg

mVsuN5K.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe the Canucks actually took the arched wordmark off the jerseys. That's been the obvious next step for so long now that I never thought they'd actually go through with it. Only been waiting for that for about 11 years now. 

The white stink in rink is an upgrade as well. It's a lousy primary logo and any concept that uses it as the main crest automatically receives an F, but it's a fine shoulder patch. 

Unfortunately, the Orca is still there and we all know the best course of action for the Canucks is Skatin' Johnny Canuck front and center. PLEASE AT ME.

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I can't believe the Canucks actually took the arched wordmark off the jerseys. That's been the obvious next step for so long now that I never thought they'd actually go through with it. Only been waiting for that for about 11 years now. 

The white stink in rink is an upgrade as well. It's a lousy primary logo and any concept that uses it as the main crest automatically receives an F, but it's a fine shoulder patch. 

Unfortunately, the Orca is still there and we all know the best course of action for the Canucks is Skatin' Johnny Canuck front and center. PLEASE AT ME.

I don't think switching identities again is the best idea for this team at all. We have a identity which works overall, this team needs to just stick to it instead of changing AGAIN. The constant flip-flops and identity changes every like 10 years is exactly what's caused this immense split in the first place.

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The white stink in rink is an upgrade as well. 

One in the stink, two in the rink.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

50 minutes ago, Corvus said:

The Orca is a fine logo for Vancouver. We have  orca's showing up in Vancouver harbour multiple times each year. They're a local animal. 

Orca it is.  Totally fine with it. 

We can debate about what should be primary crest and logo, but we will likely get all of it in some fashion.  For those Canucks fans who love Stick-in-Rink or Johnny Canuck as a primary crest, this may very well show up on the new third uniforms.  We can also still wear black uniforms and the skate as a throwback, which will happen a few times this year.

Hell, we can even play sometimes as the Vancouver Millionaires.  A fine nickname that fits for Vancouver.  You basically need to be a millionaire to buy a house and live here comfortably.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I don't think switching identities again is the best idea for this team at all. We have a identity which works overall, this team needs to just stick to it instead of changing AGAIN. The constant flip-flops and identity changes every like 10 years is exactly what's caused this immense split in the first place.

Are you a Canucks fan?

31 minutes ago, Wade Heidt said:

Orca it is.  Totally fine with it. 

We can debate about what should be primary crest and logo, but we will likely get all of it in some fashion.  For those Canucks fans who love Stick-in-Rink or Johnny Canuck as a primary crest, this may very well show up on the new third uniforms.  We can also still wear black uniforms and the skate as a throwback, which will happen a few times this year.

Hell, we can even play sometimes as the Vancouver Millionaires.  A fine nickname that fits for Vancouver.  You basically need to be a millionaire to buy a house and live here comfortably.

spacer.png

I am still annoyed that the Canucks threw an entirely different identity and colour scheme into their mix just to sell a few sweaters. Enough already. They are not the Millionaires. We dont need more off coloured jerseys in the stands. Its a joke and it only affirms that this franchise is a mickey mouse organisation. If they want to "honour" anything it should be their OWN history. Wear the 60's WHL uniforms. Those actually look good and have a history that people havent just read about.

2 minutes ago, uniformity said:

Are you a Canucks fan?

Not particularly, but I don't believe in changing identities just for the sake of it. This franchise should keep one consistent brand, and I don't see any reason to change this current one once they axe the unnecessary "Vancouver" wordmark on their primary logo like the leaks indicate. 

2 hours ago, uniformity said:

I am still annoyed that the Canucks threw an entirely different identity and colour scheme into their mix just to sell a few sweaters. Enough already. They are not the Millionaires. We dont need more off coloured jerseys in the stands. Its a joke and it only affirms that this franchise is a mickey mouse organisation. 

Well, it was only for a few games and the Millionaires are the only Vancouver hockey team to win the Stanley Cup thus far. It's not that damaging. Who cares about a few people in maroon and tan in the stands? It's not like they're super-visible on TV.

2 hours ago, uniformity said:

If they want to "honour" anything it should be their OWN history. Wear the 60's WHL uniforms. Those actually look good and have a history that people havent just read about.

This is passable:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZyotBFsVeNbTMYRtRmtm

The college-style uniforms are a non-starter and far uglier than what the Millionaires wore.

vancanucks1950whl.jpgVancouverCanucks57-58jersey.jpg

P.S., they also introduce a new color scheme into the mix, royal/red!

Canucks have so many uniforms in its NHL history that I would be saying "enough already" too with regards to bringing in 1960s WHL uniforms.  Wouldn't recommend wearing the last WHL Canucks uniforms from the late 1960s as any throwback.  Too similar to the New York Rangers.  

7 hours ago, Corvus said:

The Orca is a fine logo for Vancouver. We have  orca's showing up in Vancouver harbour multiple times each year. They're a local animal. 

I walk the seawall regularly. I've never ever seen an orca in Vancouver's harbour. There's the odd pod that shows up and it's a news story. Furthermore, a Canuck is not an animal. 

Whitecaps - Whitecapped mountain peaks reflecting a VW in the water/Soccer ball riding a whitecapped wave.

BC Lions - BC with a mountain lion's head/Named after the Lions mountain peaks.

Baseball Canadians - Canadians commonly referred to as the C's which is their primary and ball cap logo with a baseball inside the C and a 🍁 as the apostrophe. Vancouver is a Canadian city. The Monty the Mounty secondary  logo is a tribute to the city's original Pacific Coast League team, the Vancouver Mounties, which is very Canadian.

Vancouver Grizzlies - Grizzly bear clutching a basketball.

Canucks - Johnny Canuck wearing skates and holding a hockey stick/Stick in Rink forming a C for Canucks hockey in Vancouver, BC colours of blue and green. The Orca has absolutely nothing to do with the Canucks' name, hockey heritage and history. 

8 hours ago, Corvus said:

No we don't. You might see a pod on a rare occasion if you're taking the ferry or going on a whale watching tour, but its not like they're splashing around False Creek on a daily basis. The extremely rare time they're anywhere in the harbour its considered newsworthy. On top of that, just because they're a 'local animal' doesn't mean they make sense as a mascot for a team called the 'Canucks'. Bears and coyotes and ducks are local too. Doesn't make any more sense to have them as a logo. Pigeons are local to New York, it would be pretty silly to see a pigeon as a Rangers logo. Louisiana is known for Gators, but that doesn't make any sense for the Saints to have one for a logo, even coiled into an 'S'.

18 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I don't think anyone is asking for them to completely change or flip-flop their identity again, they just need to update the logo. They honestly could make 0 changes to the uniform design (although new collars would be an improvement), and nobody would complain.

I personally would like a Johnny Canuck primary, either in a roundel or with a block V behind him, but if they insist on shoving the orca down people's throats, they need to at least have some green trim somewhere.  

21 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

One in the stink, two in the rink.

Stink-in-rink is it's name now. 

21 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

3 things

1. I'm not in favor of sticking with a humdrum identity just because they've switched identities so many times in the past. That's no way to live your life. 

2. I'm not talking about a drastic rebrand. This isn't like waffling through 3 vastly different color schemes. I'm saying keep the uniform template mostly the same, drop the orca, and use a logo they already freaking have. It would be more of an evolution than a rebrand. They would still look like the blue and green Canucks, but they'd be using a vastly superior logo.

3. if they do what I say they'll never need to change ever again.

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Canucks - Johnny Canuck wearing skates and holding a hockey stick/Stick in Rink forming a C for Canucks hockey in Vancouver, BC colours of blue and green. The Orca has absolutely nothing to do with the Canucks' name, hockey heritage and history. 

"Canuck" is literally just a generic slang term for "Canadian". Anything that lives in or has to do with Canada could fit under the name Canuck; a maple leaf, a beaver, a person, an orca, a moose, a goose, a bear, pretty much anything native to Canada can fit as a logo for a team literally just named "Vancouver Canadians". All are Canadian in some form or fashion, so all fit the term "Canuck".

A lumberjack is no more "Canuck" then an orca. I'm fine with them keeping an identity which works and has worked over changing because a small contingent of a larger fanbase wants the logo to change. The brand as it is is perfectly fine and distinct from the rest of the NHL, it doesn't need to become diet Pittsburgh with a cartoony character skating with a hockey stick as the primary logo, and it doesn't need to go to a logo which is outdated as a primary in the modern era either.

An identity which is unique and works > Trying to please a small subset of a fanbase.

Well as it’s been said many times in this thread, the Canucks are connected to/named after the Johnny Canuck comic character and use (and have used prior to the NHL team) a lumberjack version of the character. The team has never been “Canucks” in reference to “Canadians”.

And as it has also been said many times in this thread, the orca logo wasn’t an organic reference to local sea life...

IbjBaeE.png

5 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

"Canuck" is literally just a generic slang term for "Canadian". Anything that lives in or has to do with Canada could fit under the name Canuck; a maple leaf, a beaver, a person, an orca, a moose, a goose, a bear, pretty much anything native to Canada can fit as a logo for a team literally just named "Vancouver Canadians". All are Canadian in some form or fashion, so all fit the term "Canuck".

A lumberjack is no more "Canuck" then an orca. I'm fine with them keeping an identity which works and has worked over changing because a small contingent of a larger fanbase wants the logo to change. The brand as it is is perfectly fine and distinct from the rest of the NHL, it doesn't need to become diet Pittsburgh with a cartoony character skating with a hockey stick as the primary logo, and it doesn't need to go to a logo which is outdated as a primary in the modern era either.

An identity which is unique and works > Trying to please a small subset of a fanbase.

I've got news for you: The Canucks are not a modern/Y2K era franchise. 

9 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I never heard the term “Canuck” applied to an orca before people on this forum began to defend the orca logo 🤷‍♂️

Given that the team was named after the specific “Johnny Canuck” comic character? That’s the most fitting logo. 

13 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I never heard the term “Canuck” applied to an orca before people on this forum began to defend the orca logo 🤷‍♂️

Given that the team was named after the specific “Johnny Canuck” comic character? That’s the most fitting logo. 

The team was named after a common slang term for "Canadian", and Johnny was made to be a visual representation of that term. Orcas are Canadian fauna and culturally prominent in the PNW, just as a lumberjack is a Canadian occupation with a strong foothold in BC. They're not specifically the "Vancouver Lumberjacks" or "Vancouver Timber Kings" or something that would make Johnny the obvious best choice...but nor are they the "Vancouver Seawolves" or "Vancouver Orcas" that'd make the Orca the obvious choice.

They're the "Vancouver Canadians", essentially. Anything commonly tied to Canada can work with a name like that; be that an orca, a lumberjack or anything else. I could suggest them become a completely beaver-themed team and could anybody call that an unfitting thing? After all, beavers are one of this country's most famous symbols, so a team named the "Canadians" would totally fit having a beaver identity as much as a lumberjack identity, an orca identity, a flying skate identity or a stick-in-rink identity.

That's the issue with this team; the name is so vague that everybody has their own idea of what is "best" for their identity. I think the orca works, VancouverFan is a huge Johnny Canuck proponent, there's flying skate proponents, SiR proponents and even a few Flying V supporters here and there, and these identities are all so disparate that nobody can seem to universally agree on anything, even the team's colors.

You see people who want them to go back to the West Coast Express look, you see people who want the 90's scheme, there's people who want the 80's scheme, the 70's scheme...essentially nobody can seem to agree on one basic set that fits the majority because so many people want so many different looks for the same team. This team's identity is a complete goddamn mess already, I don't think it's wise from a marketing or branding perspective to mess with it yet again.

17 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I've got news for you: The Canucks are not a modern/Y2K era franchise. 

No, but they're a franchise with an already-extensive identity crisis that seriously does not need more division in the fanbase as to what the hell their identity is supposed to be. The absolute worst thing a brand can do is change constantly. They have a set which merges the old and current, they've got a distinct and recognizable brand that works. They shouldn't change again unless there's a good reason to beyond "some fans want Johnny Canuck/the Stick in Rink/the Flying Skate to be our primary logo".

Otherwise, it's perpetuating the same cycle of constant reinvention for reinventions' sake that got this franchise into this mess in the first place.

Archived