king_mahalo

Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

9 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

On the other hand, neither is the others’ preference for something more mature than “midcentury skating lumberjack cartoon.”

Again, whimsy is good. We need more whimsy. I'll take whimsy over 90s aggressive cartoon any day of the week. 'cause if you want maturity? The orca isn't it. It's the visual equivalent of a teenager who thinks being broody makes him mature.

The Johnny Canuck on the chest, while I don't think its a terrible logo, just doesn't look classic to me in the same way that the Canadiens, Bruins, Red Wings, Blues etc do. I mean, yes you can obviously argue the Penguins, but that's kind of its own thing and they might be an exception. I just feel like it's too detailed and a bit minor league ish. It is better when its bigger on the front though, I'll agree with that. Most people who do a mockup have it way too small which made me always dislike it even more.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Again, whimsy is good. We need more whimsy. I'll take whimsy over 90s aggressive cartoon any day of the week. 'cause if you want maturity? The orca isn't it. It's the visual equivalent of a teenager who thinks being broody makes him mature.

Fair enough, but hasn’t Johnny Canuck (in logo form) always been somewhat of an “aggressive cartoon” what with the artificially mean eyebrows and villain moustache he’s sported in each incarnation? I’m not implying that the orca is the answer, of course (at least not as it’s currently presented), but I don’t think the “nobility of whimsy” argument works very well here. He might be crudely drawn (like the Penguins’ logo), but both of those cartoons are aggressive (despite also being whimsical).

7 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

...but I don’t think the “nobility of whimsy” argument works very well here.

I'm gonna disagree with that. Whatever you can say about Johnny Canuck's moustache? It's a far more whimsical logo than a 90s-style aggressive orca breaking through shards of ice. He's a skating lumberjack with a hockey stick. He's from the same design school that brought us the Padres' swinging friar or the Reds' Mr. Red. He certainly qualifies as whimsical.

9 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I’m not implying that the orca is the answer, of course (at least not as it’s currently presented)...

It really isn't.

The team's named after Johnny Canuck. There's a Johnny Canuck logo ready to go. I'd argue the Canucks' unwillingness to embrace that has led to their identity problem. Of course you can't find yourself as a team if you refuse to commit to the logo you're named after.

27 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm gonna disagree with that. Whatever you can say about Johnny Canuck's moustache? It's a far more whimsical logo than a 90s-style aggressive orca breaking through shards of ice. He's a skating lumberjack with a hockey stick. He's from the same design school that brought us the Padres' swinging friar or the Reds' Mr. Red. He certainly qualifies as whimsical.

Again, you’re just reverting to the same thing you said previously. As I stated before, he certainly IS whimsical (just like those others you mentioned), but he’s ALSO aggressive (unlike the swinging friar or Mr. Redlegs), which is why I think your whimsical > aggressive argument is water-thin for this one.

And quit bringing up the orca. I’m not talking about the orca or comparing its merits to Johnny in any way.

1 minute ago, andrewharrington said:

Again, you’re just reverting to the same thing you said previously.

As are you.

1 minute ago, andrewharrington said:

...but he’s ALSO aggressive, which is why I think your whimsical > aggressive argument is water-thin for this one. 

Not really, no. He's not aggressive in the same exaggerated way the orca is.

Again, the team's named after Johnny Canuck. It's going to have identity issues as long as it resists the obvious.

Ice_Cap is 1000% correct on all counts. 

The Canucks are named after Johnny Canuck. Plain and simple.

spacer.png

Swap out the place name and team name accordingly, substitute a fleur-de-lis for the maple leaf, and this would have made for a solid Québec Nordiques logo.

21 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

On the other hand, neither is the others’ preference for something more mature than “midcentury skating lumberjack cartoon.”

“Mature” is not necessarily a virtue.  Especially when we’re talking about the logo for a team that plays a game.

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

“Mature” is not necessarily a virtue.  Especially when we’re talking about the logo for a team that plays a game.

Lets just make every corporate business logo a cartoon character then, life is just a game.

Of course you want to be seen as a serious franchise, and some people might feel that a more mature logo than a skating lumberjack cartoon helps that goal.

I'd rather a neutral logo like the rink and stick than a cartoon character. Yes the Orca is a bit 90's and aggressive, but its also a bit more artistic and abstract than Johnny Canuck.

28 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Of course you want to be seen as a serious franchise, and some people might feel that a more mature logo than a skating lumberjack cartoon helps that goal.

Only teenagers confuse “grimdark” for “serious”.😛 

Nobody has ever accused the Yankees of not being a “serious franchise”, and their logo is a cartoon hat perched on a stick.  Nobody has ever accused the Maple Leafs of not being a “serious franchise” and their logo is a graffiti-covered leaf.

The team is named after a cartoon character.  A deliberately goofy one at that.  A political symbol for a country that refuses to take itself too seriously. Seems like a mistake to dress them up in pretentious clothing. 

1 hour ago, Bayne said:

How is a skating lumberjack different from a skating penguin? Both are great logos and represent their fan bases perfectly.

I like the new Canucks uniforms. They finally got it right.

I don't find Johnny Canuck too cartoon-y for a "mascot," but I wouldn't prefer it as a primary mark on the front of a jersey. Frankly, I feel the same way about the Orca, though less strongly. The stick-in-rink logo works better in this case, but it's also a better secondary mark. 

I generally dislike mascots on the front of hockey jerseys —  Penguins excluded, because somehow it works.

6 hours ago, Bayne said:

Lets just make every corporate business logo a cartoon character then, life is just a game.

I'd rather a neutral logo like the rink and stick than a cartoon character. Yes the Orca is a bit 90's and aggressive, but its also a bit more artistic and abstract than Johnny Canuck.

Maturity is arbitrary and subjective, and at the end of the day they're playing a game. I don't think appearing 'mature' matters all that much and if it did, a furious apex predator seems a lot more immature to me than the other options.

The idea that Johnny Canuck isn’t "mature" or "serious" enough to be the primary logo of a hockey team (named after him) brings to mind a CS Lewis quote. 

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

The fear of being seen as too immature and unserious isn't an adult's perspective. It's the perspective of an adolescent. 

Edgier/more serious doesn’t equal better. More often than not, it’s some try-hard garbage that misses the point of the piece. Look at comics of the ‘90s, when anti-heroes and aggressive art styles (which look like garbage, especially in regards to anatomy) were in vogue.

Johnny Canuck in his various forms is a Silver/Bronze Age-style hero, whimsical and earnest. The Orca/aggressive Johnny are Dark Age-style designs that miss the point (the Orca isn’t a particularly good appropriation of Haida art, compared to the Seahawks and Thunderbirds). 

In my humble opinion, the time for Vancouver's NHL franchise to abandon its existing logo and adopt a brand identity package centered on a depiction of "Johnny Canuck" is long overdue.

Enough with the current logo's bastardized Haida art orca. No wonder the whale looks so angry: it appears to be struggling to extricate itself from an extremely tight sleeping bag with a broken zipper.

Enough with suggestions that the garish "Flying V" branding of 1978 through 1985 be revived. I'd compare said period in Canucks' history to something out of the world of Rollerball, but that would be an insult to the talented, hard-working artisans in the Costume Department of the motion picture Rollerball.

Enough with calls for the return of the "Flying Skate" branding of 1985 through 1997. Were the Canucks of said era an elite figure skating club? Visionaries who could foresee the Red Bull Crashed Ice Tour? Then why a logo that appears to depict a skate that is either performing a toe-stop, or descending an ice cross downhill track?

Enough with calls for the "stick-in-rink" logo to be returned to primary logo duty. It is, at best, a solid secondary mark.

It is time for the Vancouver Canucks' braintrust to get out of its own way when it comes to settling on a branding direction, to cease trying to reinvent the proverbial wheel, and to simply engage a talented graphic designer to create a depiction of "Johnny Canuck" - national personification of Canada since the 1860s... daring comic book hero of the 1940s... a symbol of the love and pride that Canadians feel towards their homeland - that can serve as a modern pro sports logo. Whatever form that portrayal of "Johnny Canuck" might take on - logger, soldier, farmer, pilot - just get it fu¢king done already.           

10 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

How is a skating lumberjack different from a skating penguin? Both are great logos and represent their fan bases perfectly.

I like the new Canucks uniforms. They finally got it right.

You just stated two completely opposing viewpoints.