PCGD's First and Only Brain Buster

pcgd

I could, and very well probably am wrong --

But 163 -- it's a one game playoff if two teams are tied for the Division lead when there's no more games left. Happened between Cincinnati and Chicago a few years back, I believe.

IUe6Hvh.png

Practically, 165 would be the absolute limit. Theoretically, 169.

165 would mean a situation like this.

Los Angeles and San Francisco tie for the NL West. They're also both tied for the wild card with Chicago and Florida. LA and SF play for the NL West title. The loser is then placed into a three-way set of one-game playoffs with CHC and FLA. If the loser does not draw the bye, they could play three one-game playoffs.

169 would require everyone to finish the season 81-81. Then you need a max of 3 games for each division but the AL West, and then a max of 4 games to deal with the 11-way (13-way) tie for the wild card.

LvZYtbZ.png

ummmm....is it possible for everyone to finish at 81-81? I like the thinking, but 163, 165, and 169 are not the numbers I'm looking for. Will Morris is on the right track though....just had it a little mixed up.

How about 166?

Say there's a three way-tie for first in all divisions, all with the same record which is possible.

There would be a division tie-breaker amongst the teams a-la-willmorris where we have one team with a bye. That means one of the other two teams who does not get a bye needs two games to win a division. But if that team loses that second game, then they would be put in a pool of three teams for the wild-card.

The wild-card would work the same way. A maximum of two games required to win the wild-card.

I saw, I came, I left.

It's 164, because the loser of a one-game divisional playoff is eliminated from postseason contention because in the event of a wild-card tie, those two teams are 1/2 game better than the divisional playoff loser.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

ok...Ryan got the right number. It is 164. In the event of a 3 way or a 4 way tie for division or wild card, a mini one game playoff round is created. I'll let MLB.com explain:

"Club "A" shall play Club "B" at the ballpark of Club "A" on Monday, September 29. The following day (Tuesday, September 30), the winner of the first game shall be the home Club in a second game, against Club "C." The winner of the game between Club "C" and the Club that won the game between Club "A" and Club "B" shall be declared the Division Champion.

This means all three teams are in the same town for that night, which is kinda cool.

OR: if the teams are from different divisions:

"The Houston Astros, St. Louis Cardinals and Florida Marlins all have identical winning percentages at the end of the championship season. The Astros and Cardinals are tied for first place in the NL Central and the Marlins have the highest winning percentage among the second-place Clubs from the NL East and NL West. The Astros and Cardinals would play a one-game playoff on Monday, September 29. The winner shall be declared the Division Champion. Despite the loss, the losing Club would still be considered tied with the Marlins for the lead in the NL Wild Card. Those two Clubs would play a one-game playoff on Tuesday, September 30. The winner of that game shall be declared the Wild Card."

A four way tie is very similar, only nobody gets a "Bye." Also coming into play are if the tied teams are better than the wild card, or worse...

Check out MLB.com, then in the standings there's a tiebreaker breakdown at the bottom. Very wordy but intersting none the less!

Thanks for playing! I never knew this so I thought it was pretty cool. I only knew of the rare 163 game season....

How about 166?

Say there's a three way-tie for first in all divisions, all with the same record which is possible.

There would be a division tie-breaker amongst the teams a-la-willmorris where we have one team with a bye. That means one of the other two teams who does not get a bye needs two games to win a division. But if that team loses that second game, then they would be put in a pool of three teams for the wild-card.

The wild-card would work the same way. A maximum of two games required to win the wild-card.

Hmmm...that does intrigue me. I reread your post after posting. MLB.com mentioned nothing of this, so I'm not sure if there would be other tiebreakers for this one. I know head to head comes into play for the positioning of the three teams into the mini-playoffs.

It wouldn't ever happen, and the likely hood of the 4 way tie happening is slim to none. I can see the three-way tie happening though.

So I'll put an astrisk next to this in the record books. :)

Archived