Tampa Bay Rays: Escape from the Trop

So_Fla

The Rays are the least valuable team in baseball. Yeah, real successful.

If the players union got wind beforehand that those jobs would be coming right back, methinks they'd mellow a bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the team responsible for the lease if they're relocating, whereas MLB would be responsibe in event of contraction (the franchise being wiped out against their will)? If so, MLB probably has a lot more resources to terminate that lease than the 30th most valuable franchise in baseball Tampa Bay Rays would.

Dispersal/expansion is a rather tedious charade, agreed, but it's for the greater good.

Can't help but notice that you don't seem to be at all bent out of shape about the idea of the Marlins being contracted/replaced.

If the players union got wind beforehand that those jobs would be coming right back, methinks they'd mellow a bit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the team responsible for the lease if they're relocating, whereas MLB would be responsibe in event of contraction (the franchise being wiped out against their will)? If so, MLB probably has a lot more resources to terminate that lease than the 30th most valuable franchise in baseball Tampa Bay Rays would.

Dispersal/expansion is a rather tedious charade, agreed, but it's for the greater good.

Can't help but notice that you don't seem to be at all bent out of shape about the idea of the Marlins being contracted/replaced.

Yeah, but you aren't going to get all 30 owners to agree to buying out said lease. Hell, you might not get sufficient agreement on re-expansion, which means the union has every right to be concerned. Also the Federales and the sacred anti-trust exemption might come up again.

Personally I think the Sawx shelling out a small portion of the lordly sums they rake in is for more of the greater good.

A move to the New York City area would be a disaster

Depends where they put them. Long Island? Disaster. The Bronx? Disaster. Brooklyn? They become a top-5 team in attendance and merchandise sales.

It's not going to happen, but that one would be an easy home run. And the renamed Rays would finally have a market worthy of them.

Brooklyn Atlantics does ring well.

No it's not the fault of the franchise. They are tied to the Trop and the market due to the original ownership and the league. The current ownership had nothing to do with the original deal. Since they have taken over they have built a consistent contender top notch organization. The only 2 issues, I repeat, are the 2 they have little to no control over. They have tried to make improvements to the stadium that they are bound to. Out of their hands. They have made said improvements and fielded a winning ballclub with a great model that many other teams are now trying to emulate building up and stocking the farm system. Yet the fans still don't come out. Why? Because of the market, not the team. They have done everything asked of them within their powers to make a successful team. If they're failing, it's not on them. You place this exact organization in a better market, and they'll be one of the most successful in the game.

The Marlins you can't do either, but you can look for someway to force Loria out. Unlikely, but still a better shot than contraction. It's not as easy as you seem to delusionally believe.

• 2 years later...

They have had that website up since August, so in terms of finally a start, I'd say No.

"Breathtaking" and "Cutting Edge" are typically synonyms for expensive in sport facility terms and nobody seems interested in giving the Rays neither land nor money to assist in construction, this is just the cost of a domain name. 

22 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

"How do you imagine your ballpark?"

One that isn't a dome.

Sorry, but there are ways to have a roof that lets the light in.  Look at that new Vikings stadium, and ive even heard that that clear material can support grass growth with the sunlight.  A retractable roof that will be used sparingly is an increased cost that isn't needed.

Add some ability to allow fresh air inside and I'm good.

53 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Sorry, but there are ways to have a roof that lets the light in.  Look at that new Vikings stadium, and ive even heard that that clear material can support grass growth with the sunlight.  A retractable roof that will be used sparingly is an increased cost that isn't needed.

I wonder if a design similar to the new Atlanta stadium could be done for baseball.  I think a roof like that would look great in Tampa.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

I meant a completely enclosed dome, like Tropicana Field itself.

1 hour ago, FlyEaglesFly76 said:

I have an idea: Put their new stadium in Montreal, and rename them the Expos!

You finally get out of the only Ballpark that out :censored:holes Oakland's, AND you get infinity more fans!

I'm not aiming this at you, but simply everyone - Why oh why does every time a Rays stadium proposal come up people just say "Let's build them a stadium in Montreal!" Honestly, what did Montreal ever really do for the Expos? Sure, they act now like every single person was an Expos fan,

but they were having issues in attendance as well. And then people point out the attendance issues for the Rays, they don't take into account that this is a team with a straight out terrible stadium that is located in the middle of nowhere and have had only 3 or 4 winning records in team history. Let's not get too carried away here - when the time comes to expand, Montreal will get their team back.

*takes deep breath and prepares to make same rant in around two months or so*

(Although if they moved about 90 miles and 2 hours inland, I wouldn't complain:P)

• LMU changed the title to Tampa Bay Rays: Escape from the Trop
  • crashcarson15 locked this topic