Tampa Bay Rays: Escape from the Trop

So_Fla

On 6/1/2021 at 7:22 PM, waltere said:

I may be wrong, but isn't the case with MLS that their preferred option is an SSS, but they'll allow otherwise as long as there's ownership crossover between the team and the stadium, because it's about not having their teams be tenants of somebody else. Hence how Arthur Blank's Atlanta FC are allowed to share Megatron's butthole with the Falcons, NYCFC sharing with the Yankees, and I assume the Sounders must therefore share owners with the Seahawks.

You are absolutely correct.  

when the Sounders came into the league, they shared ownership with the Seahawks. 

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

You are absolutely correct.  

when the Sounders came into the league, they shared ownership with the Seahawks. 

Didn't hurt that the Sounders can nearly fill their NFL venue on a weekly basis. 

9 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Didn't hurt that the Sounders can nearly fill their NFL venue on a weekly basis. 

They don't, actually.  They don't usually open the upper levels, unless it's a rivalry game or playoff.  Not that I'm knocking them at all for that; it's still very impressive. 

But nobody knew that at the time they were admitted into the league.  That's not why they were allowed to play in an NFL stadium.

52 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They don't, actually.  They don't usually open the upper levels, unless it's a rivalry game or playoff.  Not that I'm knocking them at all for that; it's still very impressive. 

But nobody knew that at the time they were admitted into the league.  That's not why they were allowed to play in an NFL stadium.

No but I think it gave MLS the confidence to allow similar set ups going forward in ATL, NYCFC, Nashville, and even the move back to Chicago proper. 

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

No but I think it gave MLS the confidence to allow similar set ups going forward in ATL, NYCFC, Nashville, and even the move back to Chicago proper. 

It really didn't.   I can say that with absolute certainty for NYCFC. 

Nashville was admitted after they got their own stadium plan passed.  Atlanta got in under the rule that existed before Seattle was admitted.  If Seattle was that kind of game-changer, we'd see other expansion teams in NFL stadiums unrelated to their ownership groups.  Which we haven't.

And Chicago?   That's more desperation than anything.  But it's also not an expansion club.