alxy8s

The Montreal-Tampa Rays?

13 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It was, actually. And it was because as it just so happens? I know what the :censored: I'm talking about.

Put money on it. If Expos-Blue Jays isn't the fiercest rivalry in baseball within five years of the former's revival, you owe me $50,000.

Actually, I'll be lenient and say top 5 fiercest rivalry in baseball.

I mean...yeah. You're openly parading your ignorance if you can't understand the role that the French/English divide has played in shaping Canada at nearly every level. Reference the sentence above re: me knowing what I'm talking about.

You think Toronto and Montreal are the only two large cities in North America with built-in cultural differences that have been economic competitors with one another?

You're running with the "repeat a lie enough times eventually people will believe it" strategy?

Als/Argos isn't a rivalry.

What I find interesting is that you're not even trying to disprove the point anymore. You're just being a snide :censored:

And hey, personal insults are an easy go-to when you've got nothing left, but maybe try just staying quiet next time you're proven wrong if you can't bring yourself to admit it.

I haven't been proven wrong on anything. You keep throwing out irrelevant information like the suggested topics for your college UNIVERSITY term paper and that the capital of Canada used to rotate in the 1800s. That's all super cool, but it doesn't explain why Toronto and Montreal would have a ready-made guaranteed rivalry across all sports, not just the NHL. Toronto and Montreal aren't the only two cities in North America that don't particularly like each other.

1 minute ago, who do you think said:

You think Toronto and Montreal are the only two large cities in North America with built-in cultural differences that have been economic competitors with one another?

I don't think any other two cities in North America have the same dynamic as Montreal and Toronto ;) You'd know that if you understood a G-ddamn thing about, well, Toronto, Montreal, or Canada in general.

The Ugly American persona's bad enough as-is, but it's even worse when you're publicly flaunting your ignorance on a topic like it's a virtue.

1 minute ago, who do you think said:

Put money on it. If Expos-Blue Jays isn't the fiercest rivalry in baseball within five years of the former's revival, you owe me $50,000.

What do I get if it is? I mean will you give me $50,000? Will you stop posting all together? Hell, I'll even accept you sticking around if you agree to stop with the dog whistle racism.

3 minutes ago, who do you think said:

haven't been proven wrong on anything. You keep throwing out irrelevant information like the suggested topics for your college UNIVERSITY term paper and that the capital of Canada used to rotate in the 1800s. That's all super cool, but it doesn't explain why Toronto and Montreal would have a ready-made guaranteed rivalry across all sports, not just the NHL.

You're a dense one, aren't ya?

See all of that stuff I've told you about was to establish that yes. There's a rivalry between Toronto and Montreal that transcends sports. And that this had lead to a ready-made rivalry between teams from those cities.

You're using the bad-faith tactic of dismissing any argument that counters your position as "irrelevant," which tells me you're not actually interested in an honest discussion. You just want to pontificate. And if you wanna do that in a public setting? You have to accept that people are going to tell you how full of :censored: you are.

This thread was dead on arrival spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't think any other two cities in North America have the same dynamic as Montreal and Toronto ;) You'd know that if you understood a G-ddamn thing about, well, Toronto, Montreal, or Canada in general.

Breaking news, guy thinks his place of birth is special and not like all the others.

The Ugly American persona's bad enough as-is, but it's even worse when you're publicly flaunting your ignorance on a topic like it's a virtue.

Refusing to curtsy in the presence of any Canadian or European that claims that his country has something more specialer than anything in mine that I could never understand = Ugly American. zzzzzzzzzzzz

What do I get if it is? I mean will you give me $50,000? Will you stop posting all together? Hell, I'll even accept you sticking around if you agree to stop with the dog whistle racism.

You get one of Kawhi Leonard's cornrows and a free footlong sub from Publix.

You're a dense one, aren't ya?

See all of that stuff I've told you about was to establish that yes. There's a rivalry between Toronto and Montreal that transcends sports. And that this had lead to a ready-made rivalry between teams from those cities.

You're using the bad-faith tactic of dismissing any argument that counters your position as "irrelevant," which tells me you're not actually interested in an honest discussion. You just want to pontificate. And if you wanna do that in a public setting? You have to accept that people are going to tell you how full of :censored: you are.

I'm not interested in something that "transcends" sports, I'm interested in whether or not there would be a guaranteed rivalry in sports, and why. 

Montreal and Toronto aren't special. Sorry.

9 minutes ago, who do you think said:

Never said they were special, chief. I just explained that there's a unique history here that creates, shocker, a unique situation. If you decided to take that as an attack on MUH AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM then I don't know what to tell you. I don't think it makes Canada "special." If anything the unique situation that pits Toronto against Montreal in pretty much anything has led to a lot of political strife and ethnic tension in my home country.

Still it's there, and makes for intense sports rivalries.

If you read all of that as me saying "Toronto and Montreal are more special than poopy American cities" than your persecution complex runs deep.

I'm interested in whether or not there would be a guaranteed rivalry in sports, and why. 

There would be. Because history.

Refusing to curtsy in the presence of any Canadian or European that claims that his country has something more specialer than anything in mine that I could never understand = Ugly American. zzzzzzzzzzzz

🤣

14 minutes ago, who do you think said:

Refusing to curtsy in the presence of any Canadian or European that claims that his country has something more specialer than anything in mine that I could never understand = Ugly American. zzzzzzzzzzzz

spacer.png

Just now, Red Comet said:

I knew this would happen. Honestly the players would have to travel more to play games for a team who isn't giving a care for the players. 

This idea of splitting a team home games up to two places isn't great to begin with. But to have them play in Canada isn't a good idea also. It feels rush as heck. 

Nothing is ever guaranteed but I have no doubts that the Jays & Expos both being in the AL East would ignite a rivalry especially playing each other 19 times a season. 

I always found it to be a bummer when all these plans of a baseball stadium replacement never came to fruition.

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

>Some 4channer as of the end of his freshman year of high school one month ago decides to modsass the head custodian and spills his spaghetti as a result.

Now let's talk about something relevant:

The Rays players aren't too thrilled about this time and place split either.

“This is some stressful stuff that Blake doesn’t like thinking about,’’ he said. “Blake just wants to throw the baseball.’’

4 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Just sowing the seeds for a full time move to Montreal...

note that none of them objected to the team moving but they just objected to a split season...

“When you have a market like this where you have a team of our caliber and we’re second to last in attendance, it’s problematic,’’ said Pham, a free agent in 2022. “I can understand if we’re losing, but we’re not. Back to back seasons, we’re on a pace for 90 or more wins. Our owner is doing everything like the (recent special) $2 tickets. … This is a way to provide the franchise with more revenue to go out and get more players. So I understand their reasons behind it.’’

“I don’t really care where I play as long as we have a good crowd and it’s fun,’’ he said. “I’m a bigger fan of pick one or the other – whatever y’all want to do, I just want to play. Wherever I play at, that’s for them to decide. … But a split thing, that’s tough.’’

26 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Just sowing the seeds for a full time move to Montreal...

note that none of them objected to the team moving but they just objected to a split season...

Indeed.  Nobody’s been more critical about the miserable Tampa Bay attendance than Rays players themselves.  Going back years. 

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

spacer.png

Yes! We do need more Heathers reaction gifs. 

6 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Yes! We do need more Heathers reaction gifs. 

o181g9M.gif

6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I can't imagine they would be. All the headaches of immigrating without the actual stability of setting up shop in a new country.

Not to mention the whole "paying taxes in two different countries". Only winners will be CPAs in Tampa and Montreal.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Not to mention the whole "paying taxes in two different countries". Only winners will be CPAs in Tampa and Montreal.

Everyone in MLB already pays taxes in every city/state/province today if they visit TOR in a season. The jock tax has been real for over a decade.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-pro-athletes-may-lose-a-fortune-because-of-the-new-tax-law-2018-12-06

Edited by dfwabel

7 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Everyone in MLB already pays taxes in every city/state/province today if they visit TOR in a season. The jock tax has been real for over a decade.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-pro-athletes-may-lose-a-fortune-because-of-the-new-tax-law-2018-12-06

The more you know. I'd hate to be a golfer, tennis player or soccer player then.

14 hours ago, who do you think said:

Breaking news, guy thinks his place of birth is special and not like all the others.

I'm not interested in something that "transcends" sports, I'm interested in whether or not there would be a guaranteed rivalry in sports, and why. 

I tried skimming this... "guy's"... posts, but at the beginning of each sentence, I realized it was a waste of time. So, from a logical American's perspective on the Toronto-Montreal rivalry as it pertains sports, I look at Toronto-Montreal as the Canadian New York-Boston, where there is automatic contention, albeit probably more civil since it is Canada, but a rivalry nonetheless. Basically, one of two things can happen: either there's a rivalry or there's not. And I'd say the safe bet is to assume that it WOULD be a rivalry, with one NOT forming being the exception. 

I also believe, from an MLB perspective especially with travel, that the "Expos" staying in the AL would make more sense. Right now, Tampa Bay is so far removed from the other AL East teams. The Marlins have a nearby opponent in the Braves, so there's at least some lessened travel. Flipping the Marlins to the AL just increases it because A. They're actually farther south than TB and B. It increases regular travel for the Braves as well. This makes me think leaving the "Expos" in the AL East would be better on multiple fronts over the nostalgia of the old Expos in the NL. I mean, they didn't move the Nationals back to the AL when they left Montreal even though every previous MLB Washington team was in the AL.

Just my pair of Lincolns.