alxy8s

The Montreal-Tampa Rays?

4 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

From the sounds of it, Oakland is on far firmer ground than they've ever been. Their waterfront ballpark plan still has skeptics, but it's gaining in public support. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/philmatier/article/Oakland-council-taking-its-time-wants-answers-13969521.php?psid=aQkeR

It may be farther along, but it's not a done deal, far from it and things could easily go south. 

The Montreal Ex-Rays. 

14 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Huh.....Tampa spent most of the 80's trying to lure Major League Baseball to their city.  They finally get one in 1998 and two decades later, that team wants out. 

Morsani and Dodge didn’t foresee MLB teams blue-balling the market and the failure of sales. Dodge had no backup for when Reinsdorf kept the White Sox in Chicago, forcing the construction of The Trop in a terrible location. Nobody outside of the expansion committees and groups could predict the thorough implosion of the Tampa Bay bids for the 1993 expansion. MLB’s TV contract issues and local politics prevented the Mariners and Giants from moving in 1992. Nobody knew that Vince Naimoli would ruin the team’s initial run, leading to the continued failure of the Rays to gain ground.

This market seemed like a sure-fire thing back in the day. Of course, MLB teams, Tampa Bay Area owners, and St. Pete politicians screwed it hard.

Don't the Angels and Diamondbacks have stadium issues themselves?  I am thinking that the Angels will at least remain in the Los Angeles area. 

7 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

Step 1: Move the Rays or Marlins to Montreal.

Step 2: Move whichever team is left to Orlando.

Step 3: The Florida Rays or the Florida Marlins.

Good luck getting the city/county/state to pay for anything, since they just built the Amway Center, Dr. Phillips Center (a theater), and did major renovations to the Citrus Bowl with public money. Orlando City tried to get tax dollars to build OC Stadium and got hard rejected.

3 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Good luck getting the city/county/state to pay for anything, since they just built the Amway Center, Dr. Phillips Center (a theater), and did major renovations to the Citrus Bowl with public money. Orlando City tried to get tax dollars to build OC Stadium and got hard rejected.

Didn't Pro Player/Joe Robbie/Dolphins/Land Shark/Sun Life/Hard Rock Stadium go through major renovations when the Marlins left?

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

Didn't Pro Player/Joe Robbie/Dolphins/Land Shark/Sun Life/Hard Rock Stadium go through major renovations when the Marlins left?

Yes, but I'm not sure if the state paid for it. I was just listing Orlando examples that I know.

Seems like they're setting up a race between the two cities- first one to budge and actually build a ballpark gets the team. Ever innovative, the Rays have moved to squeezing 2 cities at once.

44 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

On top of that, they're also saying they don't fully believe in Montreal's ability to support a team.

They've somehow found a solution that's made both Rays fans and old/potential Expos fans angry. Now that's a yikes.

That could be the plan all along to put a kibosh to the notion of bringing baseball back to Montreal. This team will eventually be in Nashville or Vegas . 

4 of the trending topics on Twitter right now are Expos, Rays, Tampa and Montreal

2 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

That could be the plan all along to put a kibosh to the notion of bringing baseball back to Montreal. This team will eventually be in Nashville or Vegas

This does not need to happen.  They already have the NHL, the NFL is coming and they are going after an MLS team.  Vegas doesn't need to go from 0 pro teams in 2015 to potentially 4 by 2021. 

Montreal Rays

Portland A's

Nashville Marlins

Las Vegas Diamondbacks

Long Beach Angels

19 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

{A new ballpark in Oakland] may be farther along, but it's not a done deal, far from it and things could easily go south

Cue Major League Baseball's next 2-city solution: the Oakland-Mexico City A's-tecs.

11 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Yes, but I'm not sure if the state paid for it. I was just listing Orlando examples that I know.

Believe the Miami Dolphins stadium reno was wholly privately funded (and, of course, turned it into a strictly football (and soccer) park).

Just now, Digby said:

Believe the Miami Dolphins stadium reno was wholly privately funded (and, of course, turned it into a strictly football (and soccer) park).

Public funds were given to Ross, conditional upon events coming to the stadium. Not wholly privately funded. 

5 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

This does not need to happen.  They already have the NHL, the NFL is coming and they are going after an MLS team.  Vegas doesn't need to go from 0 pro teams in 2015 to potentially 4 by 2021. 

While need is subjective, I see it working. Vegas is an always populated city. The locals there are huge sports fans and would be no less support than the Ray's or A's or Marlins get currently. Couple that with the tourism aspect and the influx weekly of new people, could easily make up the rest of a capacity for the stadium to sell out.

(While in the A's case I feel like they have a great fan base, coliseum is a dump and that :censored:ty neighborhood probably scares away people from the games. Also it seems that city of oakland doesn't care about sports anymore, politically speaking.)

5 minutes ago, Wings said:

Montreal Rays

Portland A's

Nashville Marlins

Las Vegas Diamondbacks

Long Beach Angels

I think that even if they move to Long Beach, the Angels would prefer to keep Los Angeles, but we'll see. 

2 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

While need is subjective, I see it working. Vegas is an always populated city. The locals there are huge sports fans and would be no less support than the Ray's or A's or Marlins get currently. Couple that with the tourism aspect and the influx weekly of new people, could easily make up the rest of a capacity for the stadium to sell out.

(While in the A's case I feel like they have a great fan base, coliseum is a dump and that :censored:ty neighborhood probably scares away people from the games. Also it seems that city of oakland doesn't care about sports anymore, politically speaking.)

My issue is that Las Vegas is getting three major league teams too fast.  I live in Dallas, a much bigger city than Las Vegas and it took 20 years for Dallas to get three teams. 

I think that even if they move to Long Beach, the Angels would prefer to keep Los Angeles, but we'll see. 

Morano would definitely want to keep LA in the name. If I was the county I'd force him to change it to OC Angels at the very least. (They should still be Anaheim, Anaheim is sure as hell not LA)

My issue is that Las Vegas is getting three major league teams too fast.  I live in Dallas, a much bigger city than Las Vegas and it took 20 years for Dallas to get three teams. 

Different time period no? Since 1980 DFW had 3 teams then the 4th Stars came in 94ish right? While I take that into consideration, I dont include MLS as one of the 4 even though its popularity is gaining. I just think the allure of spending a week in vegas and catching a couple games, or even catching my team on a road trip is not just of my own.