Montreal/Tampa Bay Rays name speculation

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Oh yeah, it was. 

But what exactly are you looking for when you say “yet”?  Isn’t an average attendance of 42,000 for a series of meaningless Spring Training exhibition games a pretty good indication of interest?

I’m not sure that’s representative. It’s very much “an event” with that set-up and not a regular occurrence (e.g., 81 games). A bunch of out-of-town people will come in for it when it’s Spring Training.

Diaspora is a big reason why Montréal was, not is, a baseball town.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:52 AM, AndrewMLind said:

The Tampa Bay-Montreal Snowbirds. Their logo should be a bird waving out the window of an RV.

I think you were joking, but now I kind of want this.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Just an off-topic observation: Sternberg is quite a charming fellow. His address today was impressive, as he laid out his position without weasel words.

I have read a suggestion that, in his frankness, he may have said too much and perhaps admitted having broken the terms of his lease with St. Petersburg. But for me he made a good impression, coming across not as a smarmy huckster, but, rather, as a sincere guy who is out of options, and who is ready to give this unusual approach a try.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Yeah, Stu is a scumbag who doesn’t want to use any amount of his money for a stadium. Don’t let some press conference fool you.

He’s adopted the Bob Lurie approach, not wishing to spend any significant percentage of his own money to complete a stadium deal. Heck, I’d argue that he’s worse than Lurie, since Lurie at least tried to work more extensively with city officials throughout the Bay Area to get a deal done (him not knowing that Bay Area voters don’t like paying directly for stadiums is his own fault).

Pulling a Frank McCourt on Donald Sterling with Stu would be in baseball’s best interests.

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, Stu is a scumbag who doesn’t want to use any amount of his money for a stadium. Don’t let some press conference fool you.

He’s adopted the Bob Lurie approach, not wishing to spend any significant percentage of his own money to complete a stadium deal. Heck, I’d argue that he’s worse than Lurie, since Lurie at least tried to work more extensively with city officials throughout the Bay Area to get a deal done (him not knowing that Bay Area voters don’t like paying directly for stadiums is his own fault).

Pulling a Frank McCourt on Donald Sterling with Stu would be in baseball’s best interests.

Right. I am not doubting that he is smarmy huckster. I was saying only that he did not come off like one in this press conference. He obviously knows how to present himself.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Late to the discussion, but this is an absolutely stupid idea. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Easy, he doesn't want to put up ANY money to build a new stadium. He wants the taxpayers to do it all because "it's a public entity and they should pay for it". 

He has more than enough money to build a stadium for the Rays. I think Montreal will pay for a stadium and in 2028, we'll have a new Expos. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

13 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Just an off-topic observation: Sternberg is quite a charming fellow. His address today was impressive, as he laid out his position without weasel words.

I have read a suggestion that, in his frankness, he may have said too much and perhaps admitted having broken the terms of his lease with St. Petersburg. But for me he made a good impression, coming across not as a smarmy huckster, but, rather, as a sincere guy who is out of options, and who is ready to give this unusual approach a try.

I think you and I watched two different speeches. 

“I’m confident it’s an amazing idea,’’ principal owner Stuart Sternberg said. “Every turn, every what-if, what-if, what-if, only leads to more opportunity, more fandom, more joys.’’

And this is stunning.  They have absolutely given up on their market

The Rays pitch the plan as a solution to their ongoing issues with a lack of attendance and corporate support by reducing the inventory of games, acknowledging that 81 is too many to sell, at least in this market noting the number of transplants, geography, lack of a central business base.

“A lot of things that make this a fabulous place to live, work and play make it uniquely ill-suited to supporting a major-league baseball team,’’ team president Brian Auld said.

5 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

Yikes. He basically saying that if you are going to make me stay here till 2027, I'm going to make you look as inept as a market as I can. 

Can this just be referred to from here on out as the "Kroenke method"? That this charade is even being entertained is ridiculous at this point. They will do everything from here on out to make the point that the market can not and will not support the organization, likely paving their way to a legal argument for renegotiating or invalidating the lease that's holding them there. 

That's the only game in play here. This two city fantasy is just a stage play and we're all here to watch it. 

15 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Is it so much that he doesn't want to spend his money ... or that he just wants to get out of the market?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived