SportsLogos.Net News

Houston Rockets Unveil New Uniforms, Bring Back Classic Look for 2020

1 hour ago, pelicanfan said:

From a somewhat graphic designers point of view in myself I think it’s horrible.

houston-rockets-new-logo-2019-2020.png

first off, it insanely annoys me the perspective of everything is. So you have the ring pointing up, but the basketball is pointing up right. And then you have the logo right smack in the middle with a shadow pointing to the left. Why would there be a logo with a ring, inside another logo that also has a ring. The colors: there’s four shades of black/grey. The contrast between the shades in the basketball is pointless because of how little contrast there is between the two. And on top of that you have the outer ring border thing going on.

in simpleton terms it’s dumb to have a giant black ball as the main part of the logo. Sports logos aren’t meant to be so big and dark with little contrast. That’s not gonna physically attract the eyes of fans. Plus, who thought it was a good idea to have a logo so elongated slapped onto a round ball? 

And unless my eyes are really messed up, having the ball up and right makes it look like the R is off-center (I know it isn’t, but much like the Jets new logo, it just looks that way). 

It’s messing with my OCD. 

I get what they were going for and it was perfectly showcased in the reveal video. It looks fantastic.

xtQyfsG.png

Then you see the actual logo and it's like what the hell happened here? This isn't what you see at all. This is like buying an amazing Playstation game on Game Boy Color as a kid only to be disappointed by the downgrade.

6830_houston_rockets-primary-2020.png

There's no detail and the ribbon/ring around the planet/ball is miserable looking. This looks nothing remotely space-like, but the reveal video makes it look like the Death Star from Star Wars.

The logo in the video isn’t even an accurate representation of the actual logo since the black ring/band wraps all the way around the ball in the video, which looks good, but in the logo the ring/band ends at the ball. It’s very jarring for half the HOU and ETS letters to placed on black and the other letters placed on gray. I like the idea that they were going for, but as usual, it’s not the idea but the execution that ruins it. Also, there are too many shades of gray.

The ball with the ring is so unnecessary. The R logo is so iconic on its own that it doesn't need any additional elements. If they wanted to update the wordmark of the primary logo, they could've done what the Spurs did and just replace it with another typeface. This is trash. Goes along the lines of what the Cavs did. 

27 minutes ago, truepg said:

The R logo is so iconic on its own...

I’m sorry, but when I think of iconic sports logos, the R logo doesn’t make my top 30.

1 hour ago, mafiaman said:

I’m sorry, but when I think of iconic sports logos, the R logo doesn’t make my top 30.

By iconic, I was talking more about its qualities as a design, rather than its acquired connotations.

12 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

From a somewhat graphic designers point of view in myself I think it’s horrible.

houston-rockets-new-logo-2019-2020.png

Can someone try to polish this turd by making the ball yellow, the ring white, and the HOUSTON ROCKETS wording black?  (I’m shooting for something looking like the classic 1980’s-1990’s colors and look).

15 minutes ago, truepg said:

By iconic, I was talking more about its qualities as a design, rather than its acquired connotations.

Oh.  If that’s the case, then it’s not in my top 40.

😎

There is nothing iconic about the Rockets' R.

i can appreciate that death star like detail on the basketball but other then that, i dont see why this was a good idea 

Looks like this is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but I don't hate it. I'm kinda just glad they finally got a new logo.  Although if it were up to me, I'd replace the "R" logo with the "HR" logo, make the ball yellow, and make the ring a solid color. 

Do teams even hire actual designers anymore? I see work daily from hobbyists on here that blow this crapola out of the water. Twenty bucks says it was some college intern that cranked this out on their laptop.

Rockets have always struggled to come up with a good look. Even the title years look was nothing more than 70's clip art (although the colors were spot on). The insane 90's pajama unis have somehow been injected with some kind of nostalgic revisionist appreciation. I liked the idea of an actual rocket in the logo (sans teeth). But they almost gave me a stroke when they came out. Finally, the Yao-era rebrand they currently have has the opposite problem ...not much more than a wordmark. I think there's a good mashup of all three eras lurking in the mind of some talented artist. But I shudder to think of where that would lead with the Rockets' art department in charge.

My only hope is that Fertitta didn't have time to mess with this because he was too busy acquiring an NHL team for the Toyota Center.

The ring needs to go all the way around to make it a decent logo.

I do like the R logo, though, so I'm glad it's staying.

The logo is terrible, but if the Rockets get new, better uniforms out of this I'll call it even. And hopefully, since this is a "global" logo that only exists to comply with NBA rules, it might get buried anyway, kind of like the Cavs shield logo or the Sixers box logo from a while back.

33 minutes ago, who do you think said:

The logo is terrible, but if the Rockets get new, better uniforms out of this I'll call it even. 

😟

1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

😟

spacer.png