Houston Rockets Unveil New Uniforms, Bring Back Classic Look for 2020

11 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Slightly diagonal (and starting closer to the numbers) --

spacer.png

Extremely diagonal --

spacer.png

I don't know if someone noticed that, but on these photos there is two version of #4, but there was also a third version from Hakeem rookie year (also different #3):

65929b_lg.jpeg

which was used by adidas:

chuck-hayes-of-the-houston-rockets-looks-on-against-the-philadelphia-picture-id79743901?s=2048x2048

I'm curious which version nike used in their Classic.

4r2eer.png

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

I'm curious just how big the Chinese fan base actually is. While Houston is a very large and diverse city, we actually don't have a very large Chinese population. Vietnamese is much more predominant in the area. It's almost a slap in the face to the local population that celebrates lunar new year by having it tied directly to only Chinese wordmarks and designs.

Think it’s rather large considering how rapidly the popularity of the sport grew in China upon Yao Ming’s entrance into the league in the early 2000’s. Many fans over there latched on to the Rockets because of Yao.

29 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

I'm curious just how big the Chinese fan base actually is. While Houston is a very large and diverse city, we actually don't have a very large Chinese population. Vietnamese is much more predominant in the area. It's almost a slap in the face to the local population that celebrates lunar new year by having it tied directly to only Chinese wordmarks and designs.

I’ve watched a lot of videos of rockets fans in China and I think the rockets have the largest fanbase over there, if not then they’re definitely behind whatever top team is. I would guess it’s because of yao and maybe when Lin used to play for the rockets. Also I’ve notice adidas markets James harden very heavily over there so maybe that’s also why. 

IMG-7122.gif

6 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Can't help but feel the Rockets dropped the ball bigtime here. These are just boring. They should have just updated the classics.

mrWWEy1.png

Eh, I prefer the original championship era set. 

Red and gold is a scheme that can get too bright and gaudy if you don’t use the colours properly. The championship Rockets look perfectly balanced it by limiting the gold to the striping. Leaving the wordmarks, NOB, and numbers red or white without gold highlights helped keep the uniforms look unique yet not too flashy. Going all-in on the gold misses the point of what made the championship era look work.

Also? That 90s logo is awful :P I’m not entirely sure what the perfect Rockets logo looks like, but maybe it’s a combination of the championship logo and a “H” version of the rocket R?  

5 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

The team specifically pointed to its large fanbase in China.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Because of how condensed the font is, the R's and more importantly the K's should have their bottom right legs be a tad more vertical for legibility purposes.  The Bucks' font isn't as skinny, but when they changed their K on their white Association jersey a few years ago, it looked a lot better imo.

2015-16 to 2016-17:

14190_a11.jpg

2017-18 to present:

gettyimages-869142986-1.jpg

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Never noticed the Bucks’ change in collar. That’s dissapointing. 

Echoing what others have said about the Rockets, the Gemini side panels were infinetely more creative than this paint by numbers mess. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

To be Rockets-specific, this is would it could look like:

Existing:

houston-rockets-new-jersey.jpg

Tweaked R and K:

1b0LnxV.png

But as echoing everyone else, I believe that the color scheme should be constant over Association and Icon, meaning there should at least be some black on the Association to maintain the red-black-white-gray color hierarchy.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Awful by the Rockets, not even worth commenting. A generic catalog template, basic and black side panels, everything's been said already. A downgrade by all standards, even considering the move to the Nike template. Wow.

14 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Eh, I prefer the original championship era set. 

Red and gold is a scheme that can get too bright and gaudy if you don’t use the colours properly. The championship Rockets look perfectly balanced it by limiting the gold to the striping. Leaving the wordmarks, NOB, and numbers red or white without gold highlights helped keep the uniforms look unique yet not too flashy. Going all-in on the gold misses the point of what made the championship era look work.

Also? That 90s logo is awful :P I’m not entirely sure what the perfect Rockets logo looks like, but maybe it’s a combination of the championship logo and a “H” version of the rocket R?  

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't necessarily agree that adding a little more gold here and there hurts their overall aesthetic.

In my concept, the home and road pretty much have the same color balance as the Chiefs' uniforms, and those tend to be well-liked on here. The black alternate has no gold at all, and I only went wild with it on the other alternate. Even then, plenty of other teams from the Lakers to the Jazz to the Warriors have made gold uniforms look good, so I don't see why the Rockets couldn't.

I was also trying to keep it realistic. When the Rockets have tried to reimagine the classics, the one thing they've always done is add a lot more gold:

D67S2kK.jpg

3L9s99s.jpg%5B

If the Rockets ever did go back to a classic-inspired look, they'd almost certainly use more gold than the championship-era uniforms did.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I’m beginning to realize that most of Adidas’ sleeved alts would’ve been perfect without the sleeves. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

might be an unpopular opinion but the previous set in its original incarnation was a modern classic...they actually hired a real designer (can't remember who) that developed a perfect and cohesive identity for rockets/space while working within the boundaries of a sports uniform...all of the past alts and this new set are just a mish mash of garbage.

2 hours ago, guest23 said:

might be an unpopular opinion but the previous set in its original incarnation was a modern classic...they actually hired a real designer (can't remember who) that developed a perfect and cohesive identity for rockets/space while working within the boundaries of a sports uniform...all of the past alts and this new set are just a mish mash of garbage.

Eiko Ishioka. The logo was designed specifically with the East Asian market in mind considering Yao’s massive popularity. Much like the Rockets themselves, I thought that brand had all the right ideas inbut fell a bit flat in the execution. The logo is simple and could have become iconic in time, the uniforms were a 2000’s version of classic arm trim on basketball uniforms, but It always felt a bit artificial and sterile. If they had won a title then it probably would have been embraced more and we’d be talking about a modern classic logo and uniform set, but they never did much in the playoffs and  the Rockets have been chipping away at the identity by changing number fonts, wearing awful alts, and butchering the design to fit the Nike template. If it had just had yellow drop shadows instead of black I think it could have been a lasting look

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Last week, the Rockets revealed a new secondary or "global" logo, for international usage. However, the Rockets "R" will remain the primary logo and continue to be the most prevalent. The new logo takes use of the new font and places it in a more dimensionally balanced setting. The logo features "Houston Rockets" wrapping around a “basketball globe” and matches the desire of the franchise to be champions of the basketball world.

https://www.nba.com/rockets/rockets-reveal-three-new-uniforms-2019-20-nba-season

The good: red remains (at least in theory) the primary color jersey; they are red and black rather than black and red; the '90s throwback is pretty cool; I like the wordmark on all the uniforms

The bad:

Making black the official second color was wholly unnecessary given how many other teams already use that combo; the white jersey doesn't even have any black on it; no yellow whatsoever outside of the throwbacks; dumb side panels; generic look and color scheme overall; you know they'll try to use the black alts 35 times a year anyway

Archived