NBA Rebrand (6/36, 6/25) Houston Rockets & Miami Heat

DoctaC

Today I will be starting my own NBA rebrand thread. I tried this a couple months ago but didn't get too far into it - I felt my designs weren't very good and the template I was using was meh. So I've been working on my design skills and now feel it is a good time to try this again.

In this rebrand, each team will:

• Be made to look different. Each team will be receiving a brand new design that strays far from their current one.
  • Get at least two uniforms. If I feel I can create an alternate design that looks good, the team will get one, but no more than two.
  • Hopefully look good.

Some teams will:

• Get a new nickname. This is because I think they could have a better one overall or that their current identity is a classic and shouldn't be messed with (ex. Boston & the LA Lakers will get new nicknames because the Lakers & Celtics' identities are classics and can't really be improved that much).
  • Relocate. One I already know I will move is the LA Clippers, most likely to San Diego, because I don't want to design two LA teams.

There will also be six new expansion teams (one for each division) just for fun. These will be done last (if I even get to them).

I hope you enjoy.

Let's get it started with the Brooklyn Nets and newly named Cleveland Lakers

BROOKLYN NETS

UudIRuE.png

The Nets' new identity looks back to the days of the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team, utilizing their blue and red color scheme. The new logo is one of the current secondaries with the old Dodgers B in place of the current one.

CLEVELAND LAKERS

gCwZUQN.png

The Lakers' design is based on the Cavaliers' current city edition uniforms. The shade of blue is new as well as the word mark and number fonts. The new logo uses the basketball from the old Cavaliers logos from 2003-2017 along with the jersey word mark (in the same place the text was in those logos).

Thanks for viewing, C&C is appreciated.

I already have ideas for expansion: 

Vegas Sting

Vancouver Vultures 

Seattle Sonics

Montreal Elite ( or elite du Montreal )

Kentucky Thoroughbreds

Pittsburgh Iron.

You could use these ideas or go figure. Also, what about city, and earned jerseys? And a court?  As well as other logos? Nice  work, good to see where this goes!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

17 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Nice start so far. 

Will Washington be renamed too?

Thanks. As a Wizards fan I really don't like their nickname, so that will be changed. I do like their G-League affiliate's name "Capital City" so I may use that in place of Washington as well. As of right now my favorite idea I've came up with are the Capital City Commanders.

7 hours ago, simtek34 said:

Nice concepts, but how does Minnesota not get the Lakers? It makes the most sense, and that’s where the real Lakers came from.

Thanks, I didn't give Minnesota the Lakers name because I like the Timberwolves name, and I gave it to Cleveland because of Lake Erie.

4 hours ago, Blindsay said:

I already have ideas for expansion: 

Vegas Sting

Vancouver Vultures 

Seattle Sonics

Montreal Elite ( or elite du Montreal )

Kentucky Thoroughbreds

Pittsburgh Iron.

You could use these ideas or go figure. Also, what about city, and earned jerseys? And a court?  As well as other logos? Nice  work, good to see where this goes!

Thanks for the ideas, I already know I want to do teams for Vegas, Vancouver, and Seattle.

I'm just doing a home/away for each team, and alternates when I feel like I created a good one. Maybe I'll do courts in the future, but I'm just doing uniforms and a primary logo for now.

Keeping it moving, here are the:

Chicago Bulls -> Chicago Zephyrs

New York Knicks -> Manhattan Empire

CHICAGO ZEPHYRS

w3zxuSl.png

There was once a basketball team in Chicago called the Zephyrs, and since the Bulls have a classic look I don't want to mess with, they return to this old nickname in this rebrand (even though those Zephyrs are now the Wizards). The Zephyrs nickname pays homage to Chicago's nickname "The Windy City," and the use of the six-point stars is based on the Chicago city flag. The colors are drawn from the old-school Zephyrs.

MANHATTAN EMPIRE

UVsfQT6.png

The nickname "Empire" comes from New York State's nickname "The Empire State" and from the Empire State Building itself. The silhouette of the Empire State Building can be seen throughout the entire identity. The team's colors come from the NYC flag, just like the Knicks.

HOUSTON ROCKETS

aaH9Q3d.png

The Rockets' new identity that was released a few days ago looked really good, so I didn't change too much from that. I got rid of all black from the identity and removed the thick stripe running down the side of the uniform.

MIAMI HEAT

9elUDNw.png

The Heat's new look utilizes their old logo and the orange-yellow gradient on the uniforms. The Miami Vice stays as the home alternate.

I like that Miami set; maybe add some teal on the home & away to match with the Dolphins?

Manhattan looks cool... On the alt I'd go with "NYC" or "Big Apple" rather than "The City" (IIRC, that nickname is used for SF not New York).

I'd love to see a gray alt for Brooklyn!

For team names, I like Cincinnati Senators, Boston Minutemen, and Montreal Saints (or Royals). For LA, Stars is fine, though you could try Premieres or Vultures.

I really don't like Atlanta Jump though.

Off to an excellent start! The rebrands are fun.

CINCI: Gladiators 

Montreal: I’d still raise my idea for the Elite du Montreal, but if that doesn’t work for you I’d go with wings.... those names I don’t really like

LA: I got an idea: Los Angeles Tropical! Add a few palm trees and a more exotic word mark, to the original logo,we got something! If not, I vote for nights.

Boston : MinuteMen

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Archived